Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Iowa - Match Promotion
DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

Attention Buckeye Fans!

Ohio State Wrestling is pleased to offer a group package for 10 people or more, this package will include: a t-shirt (sizes YS,YM,YL, S,M,L,XL), the 2006-07 Buckeye highlight DVD, and a ticket to the match vs. Iowa Friday January 18th at 7:00PM. This package is ONLY $10 and is available for a short time for ALL FANS.

Have checks payable to "Ohio State Athletics - Wrestling" in by December 20th, 2008 to:
Tom Ryan
1160 Steelwood Road
Columbus, OH 43212

Direct link to package flyer: http://admin.xosn.com/fls/17300/pdf/wrestl/ourway.pdf?SPSID=87728&SPID=10403&DB_OEM_ID=17300

Support the buckeyes!

For any questions contact: vondruskac@buckeyes.ath.ohio-state.edu

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

Anyone interested? I think I'm gonna make the trip south for this one.

Think about it:

Triggas v Falck
Humphrey v Slaton
Jaggers v Leclere
PALMER V METCALF
Johnstone v Morningstar
SPONSELLER V PERRY
I can't remember who Iowa has at 174 or 184
Weakley v Erekson
Bergman v Fields

Gotta see this match. It should be epic.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

I think this will be a good test of where the Buckeyes are at with the top dogs, no offense to Wisconsin, but Iowa is either #1 or #2 in the Big Ten and the NCAA right now. It'll be a challenge to win, but if things fall our way it is a possibility, and great teams to be need to challenge the best out there.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

Iowa's 184 is Ian Keddy from Uintah, UT. He won an Ironman title in 2004 at 171, defeating David Thompson in the finals.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

125: Nikko Triggas (Ohio State) v. #5 Charlie Falck (Iowa)
Edge: Iowa. Falck is a veteran and has some big wins. Triggas is doing well but he's still a true freshman.

133: #16 Reece Humphrey (Ohio State) v. #5 Joey Slaton (Iowa)
Edge: Iowa. Slaton is ranked fifth in the nation, Humphrey was ranked sixteenth and that was before the loss to Tannelli. Still, I think Humphrey can win here.

141: #7 J Jaggers (Ohio State) v. #18 Dan LeClere (Iowa)
Edge: Ohio State. Jaggers rarely loses in big matches.

149: #8 Lance Palmer (Ohio State) v. #5 Brent Metcalf (Iowa)
Edge: Iowa. This will be the best bout of the night. Power versus power.

157: Jason Johnstone (Ohio State) v. #20 Ryan Morningstar (Iowa)
Edge: Iowa. This should be a very close bout. Morningstar is tough but Johnstone can hang with anyone. Can he pull out a win?

165: Colt Sponseller (Ohio State) v. #2 Mark Perry (Iowa)
Edge: Iowa. Perry is the defending NCAA champion, Sponseller will be wrestling in his second collegiate match.

174: Alex Picazo (Ohio State) v. #17 Jay Borschel (Iowa)
Edge: Iowa. Picazo needs to pull off the upset to help the Buckeyes' chances.

184: #5 Mike Pucillo (Ohio State) v. Phil Keddy (Iowa)
Edge: Ohio State. If Pucillo could somehow score bonus points here, that would be huge.

197: John Weakley (Ohio State) v. Dan Erekson (Iowa)
Edge: Iowa. Erekson is a solid veteran. Weakley is a solid true freshman.

285: #3 J.D. Bergman (Ohio State) v. #5 Matt Fields (Iowa)
Edge: Ohio State. Bergman's "reign of terror" at heavyweight isn't over yet.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

Iowa is a very solid dual meet team. They really don't have any weak points in the lineup that could be exploited by Ohio State except 184. Buckeyes will have to pull the upsets and Palmer will have to beat Metcalf in order for the Buckeyes to win this one.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 13, 2007

Perhaps this is just OSU homerism but I would call Palmer/Metcalf even. While Metcalf has received a lot of press Palmer actually did it last year on the mat. As we know Metcalf has been stuck this year (and it wasn't a fluke). I know Metcalf is going to be successful but I'm with the group that needs to see it at the DI level before we give him the edge against a returning AA.

I also think their styles may lead to a very low scoring match which Palmer seems to do well in. If Palmer's solid defense and riding skills keep this close I can see him winning. Metcalf has a huge motor but he isn't going to muscle Palmer, which seems to be most of Metcalf's offense.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 13, 2007

125: Falck 6 Triggas 3--Falck good but not great.
133: Humphrey 11 Slaton 7--It's Iowa. Hump will give a huge effort.
141: Jaggers 6 Leclere 2--Jaggers loves the stage and this one will be big.
149: Metcalf 3 Palmer 2--One takedown makes the difference
157: Johnstone 5 Morningstar 4--JJ finally wins a close one.
165: Perry 8 Sponseller 7--Sponsy eats the volatile Perry on his feet but gets stuck on bottom and turned.
174: Borschel 7 Picazo 2--Picazo lives and dies with his inside trip
184: Pucillo 9 Keddy3--Keddy avoids giving up the major
197: Weakley 10 Erekson 8--Erekson is the weakest link on this squad and Weakley gets 3 doubles and hangs on for dear life.
285: Bergman 8 Fields 1--Fields wrestles defensively to avoid the big move then rushes in late to try and score....HEADLOCK!

Match ends with Fields fighting for air on his back

The Buckeyes Win! The Buckeyes Win! 18-12 is your final score.

I guarantee it. Dan Cosimi will give you your money back if the Bucks don't pull off the victory.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on December 13, 2007

I really like what is going on at The Ohio State University, but the victory over Iowa will be of the moral variety. tOSU is talented but I would have bet my car (albeit, it is not a very nice car) that Iowa State was going to beat Iowa last week.

I will say that I think the days of an undefeated dual season in the Big Ten are probably close to over. The conference is just to strong.

So, GO BUCKS!!

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on December 13, 2007

There is some wrestling to occur prior to this promotional event. Iowa has John Smith OSU at home Saturday January 5th. You can watch it on BTN the following day at 6pm.

You can watch some of Iowa again on BTN when Iowa competes at the Midlands on December 30th:
Sunday, December 30 7:00pm ET Midlands Classic Semifinals (delayed)
Sunday, December 30 8:00pm ET Midlands Classic Finals (LIVE)

Then if these two are who they claim to be there is good possibility Ohio State and Iowa will meet in National Duals either Saturday Jan 12 or Sunday Jan 13. Looks like somehow one can either listen or watch some if not all of the matches for few extra bucks. There is complete restrictions on spectators filming any of the event. I
http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/niwa-06-nwca-main.html

So when Iowa comes to St. John their pedigree for this season should be well established and available for viewing by all of interest. The Ohio State program will be established during the Cliff Keen National Duals. Thus the BTN broadcast of Iowa coming to St. John will have much more background to make these predictions both final establishment of the Big Ten line ups, ie 133, injury factors, and individual match ups.

So a lot will happen before we know what the attendance will be at St. John. We know the normal numbers who come to the dual to just watch Iowa every second or third year. Can you imagine what the number would be if Ohio State takes another second or better at National Duals especially if the finals has the two matched and Ohio State beats Iowa for the championship trophy. Talking about stress. That would really put the stress on Ohio wrestling fan community to prove that Ohio is one if not top wrestling state in these United States.

Personally it will be hard to beat the excitement of the OSU vs Wisconsin dual however only the memory of 801 fans can make that call since that is the only way one can view the dual given the new days of the OSU sell out people selling out all their rights to BTN - yes "all" is the operative since obviously it is not the TV rights since it was not on BTN nor allowed on any other TV broadcast. Oh, yes I hear some, you could have paid 10 bucks and watched it only live on a webcast without archives so again only ones memory without support of tape or dvd to review often and at leisure now and years to come either in slow motion or a replay with some pop corn. And I hear some who point out that the shows mentioned above would not be available without BTN for all wrestling fans not just Ohio State. But that thought being true has nothing to do with the issue of buying rights - not exclusive rights to show the event to public - but exclusive rights to disallow the showing of the event to the public. And before it gets started by the simple minded - it is not about Matside presentations of Ohio State wrestling forever being lost but it is about Iowa Public Access it is about the Michigan State TV programming or CSTV coverage of Penn State and I am sure there are more I am not aware. So the rights sold was the taking of money to enable the rights to disallow a sport viewing on TV. By the way, the number one method to develop desire for a sport and fan base if the viewing of your sport.

Elliot Lewis added to this discussion on December 14, 2007

The push, to get alot of people to this match is expressed by this great package they have put together for all the wrestlers in the state. Fill it up Buckeye Fans!

► Add to the Discussion