Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio Tournament of Champions-April 21
Bart Freidenberg added to this discussion on February 21, 2012

OHIO TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS - APRIL 21, 2012

For More Information, Contact Bart Freidenberg at bart@ohiotofc.com or 614-833-5885

February 20, 2012.....Columbus, OH

The Ohio Tournament of Champions, scheduled for April 21, at the Columbus Convention Center, in Columbus, OH, has been called one of the top youth wrestling tournaments in the country. Many feel it is toughest, even more so than Tulsa and Reno. This year, the tournament is out to set a new World Record, with 4000 entries.

According to Tournament Chairman Bart Freidenberg there is a good possibility of reaching that mark. "Right now, we are more than double the entries we were at this time last year," Freidenberg said, "so it's just a matter if we can keep that pace. I know our submissions (those who have entered info into the system, but have not yet paid) are also way ahead."

Freidenberg added that several clubs and teams have already set up club accounts, in order to get a group (8 or more) discount. He said that since they have to pay at one time, those entries would not show up as accepted until the entire group pays. "Right now, we have at least another 50 or so wrestlers in this situation that would probably be on the accepted list by now. So far, we are very pleased how the registration is going."

The Ohio TofC event, now in its 20th year, has long been recognized for it's quality of competition. Looking over the list of former champions and place winners is staggering, with names like:

Jon Reader (MI), Jordan Oliver (PA), Kyle Dake (NY), Logan Stieber (OH), David Taylor (OH), Dustin Schlatter (MN), Frank Molinaro (NJ), Eric Tannenbaum (IL), Steve Luke (OH), Lance Palmer (OH), Darrion Caldwell (NJ), Quentin Wright (PA), Andrew Howe (IN), Kellen Russell (NJ), Dustin Kilgore (OH), Zach Rey (PA), Hudson Taylor (MD), Hunter Stieber (OH), J. Jaggers (OH), Kyle Ott (OH), Zach Kemmerer (PA), Nathan Galloway (PA), Matt Hamill (OH), Josh Kindig (PA), Roger Kish (MI), Cam Tessari (OH), Todd Preston (NJ), Coleman Scott (PA), Dylan Alton (PA), Andrew Alton (PA), Felipe Martinez (OH), Mark Grey (NJ), Kenny Courts (PA), Mike Benefiel (IL), Mike Rowe (MD), Alex Meade (DE), Michael Poeta (IL), Johnni DiJulius (OH), Ty Mitch (OH), Scott Giffin (NJ), Matt Kyler (PA), C.P. Schlatter (OH), Kevin Hardy (OH), Trevor Chinn (NY), Ryan Needle (NY), Hunter Meys (NY) and so many more.

"Last year, seven of the ten NCAA Division I champions were former TofC participants," said Freidenberg, "including Jon Reader, who won our event a record 10 times. Jon told me that our event was definitely his favorite to compete in each year. Each year we will draw from about 30 states, so you never quite know who will be competing, but you always know it will be tough.

"I have had lots of parents tell me that their child has won Tulsa, Reno, Liberty, War at the Shore, or other top-notch events, but that they have never been able to win the Tournament of Champions. I think that speaks to the quality of wrestlers that we get competing. Naturally, we draw the bulk of our wrestlers from Ohio and Pennsylvania, which are generally considered two of the top wrestling states in the country, if not the top. Add to that solid contingents from New Jersey, Michigan and New York and you have a great foundation for a tough event.

"Overall, we will draw from about 30 states each year and our event is basically a blind draw, so you have to be ready each and every match," he said. "You never know what you're going to get when you have a kid coming from a distant state, but you do know they are probably going to be pretty tough, or they wouldn't have made the trip."

As for reaching the 4000 wrestlers mark, Freidenberg said It will be a challenge, but not out of the realm of possibility. "We have drawn as many as 3500 wrestlers before (2005), so we know we can handle that amount and still get things done in one day. The main problem is that there are just so many events out there that call themselves a National Tournament, when they are only drawing 500-1000 wrestlers. They have sort of "diluted" the honor of being called a National Champion. In actuality," he said, "there are probably only a few events that have earned that reputation and I believe that we are definitely one of them."

While there are many ways to qualify for the Ohio TofC, some major ones include: 10+ wins this season - on any level, any high school wrestler, winning a tournament this season, top 3 at any league or youth state event, top 6 at any National level event, top 3 at any TofC qualifier, no TofC qualifier within 50 miles of one's residence, any OAC, OURWAY, Ohio Youth, MYWAY, MSWA, MDWAY, NJ USA Kid's State, NY USA Kid's State, IKWF state qualifier. If you qualify, you can go to the event website at www.ohiotofc.com to register and pay.

"We are really expecting a great event this year and are trying our best to get wrestlers from as many states as possible to attend," Freidenberg said. "I have already seen submissions from at least 20 different states, including several from as far away as California. So, things look like we are definitely on the right track. Hopefully our entries continue as they have been going as well. If so, 4000 wrestlers is definitely within reach."

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion