Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Congrats to all of the Wrestlers that qualified for the State Tournament
Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 25, 2012

I wanted to start a thread to give everyone the chance to congratulate those young men that earned a ticket to Columbus.

Congrats to Kyle Harris of Canal Fulton Northwest on qualifying out of the Alliance District. He lost his first match but battled back and won four straight matches to qualify. Also, congrats to the three state qualifiers from my alma mater, Carrollton: Joey Miller, Austin Miller, and Alex Poole.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Congrats to all of the Wrestlers that qualified for the State Tournament
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 25, 2012

Hey, is Kyle Harris any relation to Mike Harris, 2X placer from Canal Fulton NW back in the day.

Quinn McGee added to this discussion on February 25, 2012

Congrats to DII Hamilton-Ross wrestlers Cordell Byrd (132), Joseph Jones(138) and Tyler Bridwell(195)!!

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

Michael, I know that Kyle's father, Jim, went to NW, so it is a possiblity.

Northwest had some studs in the late 80s to the mid 90s: Mike Harris, Brian Slates, the Philabaum brothers, Kurt Miller, Doug and Mike Ruehling (sp?), Mike Moore, the Villers, etc.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

Congrats to Jesse Gunter of Coventry. Jesse has some huge number of wins, 160 or 170, in his career. He had lost go-to-state matches all three years of high school. This year, he broke through, beating JH State Champ Andy Dobben to make it out. Jesse is also legally blind.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

"Michael, I know that Kyle's father, Jim, went to NW, so it is a possiblity.

Northwest had some studs in the late 80s to the mid 90s: Mike Harris, Brian Slates, the Philabaum brothers, Kurt Miller, Doug and Mike Ruehling (sp?), Mike Moore, the Villers, etc."

I wrestled Mike Harris, Mike Ruehling and got beat up at Setionals by a guy names Chris Miller (I think). I was also a HUGE fan of Brian Slates. They had some excellent individuals back in the day.

BTW, if this is going to be the "shout out" thread, I'd like to say congrats to Zach Brown of Westerville Central. He's senior who had the skills to qualify the last couple years and just had bad luck. He's put in the time and it's nice to see it pay off with a trip to the Schott. Now it's time to see the view from the podium.

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on February 26, 2012; edited 1 time in total

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

Congratulations to Evan Brettrager, a junior at Kirtland who qualified for the Division 3 state tournament by finishing as the runner-up at 182 pounds at the district tournament at Garfield Heights.

Congratulations to Erick Zuberer, a senior at Kirtland who in just a few short months will be off to the U.S. Marine Corps. Erick will earn his associate's degree (via a post-secondary educational program at a local college) in May, just prior to earning his high school diploma. Yesterday he placed fifth at the district tournament at Garfield Heights, earning the state alternate spot at heavyweight for the second consecutive year.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

Huge shout out to fellow dot netter Patrick Campbell from Cincinnati Anderson! District champion, no less. Nice job.

Wait a minute...

Okay. I'm back. Same name. Different guy. Congrats anyway!

Shout out to Cole Nace. Much like Brown (WC)... just took a while. Best of luck to those two and all the Central Ohio guys!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

Niemann...Good call on Nace. Good kid, good family, good wrestler.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

No, that's me Niemann. My youthful looks allow me to practice medicine by day and then jet down to Cincy late afternoon each day and masquerade as a HS wrestler. Beating HS wrestlers in my 40s is surprisingly satisfying ;) I kid..of course.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

yes i practice medicine too daily-- take my heart meds around noon daily, had a couple tylenol after strained my back, who knows maybe a martini when i watch the Oscars, viva la medicine!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

@BobP: Very nice!

Patrick: You say you're kidding. And in doing so are you saying that it's NOT satisfying??? ;-)

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Patrick: You say you're kidding. And in doing so are you saying that it's NOT satisfying??? ;-)"

I don't wrestle HS kids because I am sure that loosing to them would NOT be satisfying.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

I want to congratulate our boys Tyler Schenz and Aaron Gase. Both ended their careers as state alternates losing heart breaking matches in the consi semis. As a coach, that is the hardest thing to watch, but I was proud of how they both handled themselves in a very tough situation and even more proud that they responded to come back an hour later and win their last high school matches. I love those guys, it was a tough day!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 26, 2012

seriously every kid who competes hard deserves my admiration, and i give it. And to those who devote themselves to coaching them.

As Greg Urbas told me years ago when i was relating a problem to him, "IF COACHES DON'T DO IT THEN WHO WILL?" -- i always remember those simple words that define a noble profession.
---------------------------

MarkN,
fyi i will be selling homespun "MEDICINES" out of the trunk of my car at the state: headache remedies, peppermint, green tea, dark chocolate-- soothing to the soul raw walnuts & blueberries, and wheat germ for the strength to go on.

i expect a large contingent of Hillard Darby coaches to be my customers by noon Friday. ...s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next