Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Jesse Gunter/Official State Meet Thread
Brian Grimm added to this discussion on February 28, 2012

There is a nice article about Jesse Gunter in The Plain Dealer today.

http://cleveland.com/timstake/index.ssf/2012/02/coventry_wrestler_jesse_gunter.html

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 28, 2012

Nice!

Scott Rohler added to this discussion on February 28, 2012

I have had the privelage of coaching Jesse since after his 8th grade year. Everyone kept telling me the "blind" kid was pretty tuff.I watched our Jr High team wrestle and couldn't figure out who the "blind" kid was.He had one move-"The Gunter".It was basically a front headlock combined with a sitting duckunder.He was strong enough to pull it off most of the time.
He has very limited site in one eye and completely blind in the other.He didn't even wrestle using the blind rules in Jr High.He still had a record of something like 20-5.
I had never coached a blind kid before,so this has been a little challenging,to say the least.He has been one of the hardest working kids I have been around.He would go anywhere and wrestle anybody.He would also like to wrestle in college.We will see what transpires.
Words cannot explain the joy we shared last weekend when he finally made it to Columbus!We expect him to be on the podium next weekend!God has blessed me and enriched my life by putting Jesse in it!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 29, 2012

Nicely said, Mr. Rohler. I will be rooting for Jesse in Columbus.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 1, 2012

Won his first bout. rollin' on!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 1, 2012

Might as well turn this into the official state meet thread.

Eds 103 pounder loses his cons bout. No 14 placers for St Eds. (The Plain Dealer mentioned that this was a possibility).

Beachwood's Ryan Harris lost his opener but won his cons. I assume his first round defeat was considered an upset.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 2, 2012

Rich Robertson 6-1 over Delande in the semis. Delande is a returning champ and he looked good in the first two rounds. Robertson must mean business.

Mark Adelman added to this discussion on March 19, 2012

I interviewed Jesse and his father Tony Saturday and it was an enlightening experience. Maybe we should have kept the camera rolling afterword because I had a great conversation off the record with two great people. Moments like these are why I still do what I do.
Yes, I rank wrestlers in NE Ohio and mostly that is to get recognition to the young men who may not make a state ranking. But mostly it is to have a great relationship with the people who really care about this sport. You know who you are!!
Enough about that. Here is to Jesse Gunter. 4X DQ and placer, state 3rd this year in D2 at 120. Good Luck in the future Mr Gunter. I expect at least an email once in a while. As stated in this interview, Jesse has been an inspiration to me and I hope many others.

http://youtu.be/xq98SgLM_u8

We will be doing another show in about a month or so. Maybe finally have that cookout!! Anyone interested. This goes for all wrestlers, parents, coaches from youth to college!!

Good Luck to all wrestlers and thanks for all your effort.

Mark Adelman aka firestonefan

► Add to the Discussion