Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Thoughts on the State Tournament
Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

Let me preface this by saying I was in the stands the whole time so the guys on the floor during the first weekend of March probably have much better opinions than I do. However, I have a few opinions on what occurred and wanted to know how you all thought.

1- Coaches dress code- I loved it. I think it should be in effect all season. I personally hate when coaches are wearing ball caps, jeans, sweat pants, etc. I think the rule brought a level of professionalism to the event.

2- Finals- why do they start them so late and why do they last 4 hours? I know it is a great show with the best in the state, but I feel like wrestling is almost hurting itself by dragging it out too long. When I was young, I believe they started the finals around 2. I bet the people from Cleveland and Toledo would like that!

3- Introductions of the finalists- did you guys like the kids being introduced like that where they ran across the mat? I thought it was cool! It was like a college national finals experience for them. I like it!

4- Keep the lights on! One of the funniest moments in state wrestling history.

5- Kind of contradictory to point #2, but why the rush in the semis? I hate how they have the matches spread out with the consi matches in between the semi-final matches. It should be 6 mats, in the middle of the arena highlighting those matches. That is by far the best round of the night. Start it an hour earlier and save the consolation matches until the end.

6- Not a Slam!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

agree 100% with everything

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

1. I didn't think it was a problem. I didn't think it needed a rule to fix it.

2.The 6:30 start time is pretty standard, maybe move it to six, but any earlier I would have a problem with. It's a prime time event, it should be at night. As for it taking too long, that's because the matches all go the distance and the awards in between. I wouldn't change either of those. The matches are great and the awards are often the culmination of a life's work.

3. I liked the intros.

4. If they could have found a way to have the spotlights brighter and covering the entire mat, I would have liked it. As it stood, it was a good idea with poor execution.

5. I like the idea of six mats for semis and conso run afterwards. I do think attendance would be pretty sparce for those conso bouts though.

6. As much as I dislike it, I think the call was correct, meaning it is in line with the way slams have been called at this level for the last few years. I wish that it wasn't the case, but I bet most high school refs would have called that a slam.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

I just wish they would wait and do the awards after the last match. let's be honest the only people who care are the families. If they did it after then they could let family and friends down on the arena floor to take pictures and the finals wouldn't last as long.

Plus I hate when you have a great match and your ready for the next weight but there is a 20 minute break for awards.

My dad thinks they should recognize the placers better instead of just running them through as quick as possible Saturday morning.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

well theres 336 PLACERS in ohio, how much time & recognition can we give each of them with such a BIG number??? THREE HUNDRED & THIRTY SIX. 8 places x 14 wts times x 3 divisions. Thers no more time to give.

Finals could start earlier than about 6:15 oclock or so by the time all the showtime and awards are completed. Could move up at least an hour. Columbus area guys don't care but many of the people in the Schott have a long drive home Saturday night, sometimes with bad weather.
-----------------

Luke Moore posts and i agree: "why the rush in the semis? I hate how they have the matches spread out with the consi matches in between the semi-final matches. It should be 6 mats, in the middle of the arena highlighting those matches. That is by far the best round of the night. Start it an hour earlier and save the consolation matches until the end."

This SEMIS setup has been brought up FOREVER, by many incl myself, all to no avail. i even talked to Ohio's Chief Ref about it in January, he seemed to agree but Dr Maurer calls the shots. ...s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

--Finals should start at 1pm. If you're fortunate enough to have a wrestler in them, you spend the whole day killing time. Much better for wrestlers and fans to get the finals started earlier. It would be much better for those traveling to be able to get on the road sooner after a long three days.

When I figure out how to make about 50 million, I'll build a dedicated Wrestling/MMA facility near the Rock Hall. It will serve as a training center and host major events like the state finals. Afterwards, I'll throw the mother of all parties, we'll eat and drink too much, tell all our stories and laugh while old guys with grudges try to hit double legs on each other.

One more I thought of. Why not draw the order of weight classes for the finals? I hated seeing everyone leave after Evans/Gresham.

Hank,

I will invest in that building with you!

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

What people fail to realize is that the floor has to be broken down and reset after the consolation finals prior to the championship final.

As far as the awards go, they don't do them all at once because they want to keep people off of the floor. They let those that want to get their own pictures do so in the auxiliary gym/staging area. If they did them all at once, the auxiliary area would be too congested.

Most of the logistical things have to do with timing.

"One more I thought of. Why not draw the order of weight classes for the finals? I hated seeing everyone leave after Evans/Gresham."
---------------
Luke, not a bad idea, however if they started the finals a couple hours earlier more people would stay. Instead after 182 pounds its 9 clock already, its dark, over 2 hours to Cleveland or Toledo & Cinci, people are tired after 3 days, maybe worried bad weather is moving in. Out of towners have already given their motel room up.

ive gotten in there early before, that raised platform is up already. ---btw, Who else is on the road at 10 oclock Sat night? drunks.

i think finals cant start at 4:00 or 5:00 instead of approx 6:15, that raised stage is up by then. ...s/BobP

Dan Strope added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"One more I thought of. Why not draw the order of weight classes for the finals? I hated seeing everyone leave after Evans/Gresham."

Please no! Problem isn't the order of wrestling. Why force people to watch matches that they don't want to?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

I've never liked switching the order of the weights.

Jeremy Park added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"--Finals should start at 1pm. If you're fortunate enough to have a wrestler in them, you spend the whole day killing time. Much better for wrestlers and fans to get the finals started earlier. It would be much better for those traveling to be able to get on the road sooner after a long three days.

When I figure out how to make about 50 million, I'll build a dedicated Wrestling/MMA facility near the Rock Hall. It will serve as a training center and host major events like the state finals. Afterwards, I'll throw the mother of all parties, we'll eat and drink too much, tell all our stories and laugh while old guys with grudges try to hit double legs on each other."

i really like this idea, much closer for me. and while im not that old yet, i may have a couple grudges id be willing to try and settle at such an event.

Changing the wt order by starting at a different wt works, it gives the upperwts an audience they often don't get. More and more tourn are doing it instead of traditonal 106 first which means the poor hvwts are then last and no one stays to see them.

Ryan Peters added to this discussion on March 8, 2012

As always, I love the state wrestling tournament. It ranks as one of the greatest events in the United States. I have attended Game 5 of the World Series, the NCAA Division I National finals, OHSAA State Football Championship game. However, nothing compares to the OHSAA State Wrestling tournament. It is simply fantastic.

I agree with many of the comments that were made. Keep the finals at 5:00/5:30, make the semi's on 6 mats and hold off on the consolation matches until the semi's are done. I did not like the spot lights. I thought it was cool for the wrestlers to run to their mat, like NCAA's. I enjoy the awards presentations.

I would like to see a few minor changes:
1) New people should sing the National Anthem. It has been the same people for years. It is time for a change.
2) I think we should be doing a better job of recognizing our former great (4x state champs/ 3 timers, NCAA champs etc). Each year we should recognize them. Let's keep the history alive.
3) Hall of Fame - why do three people get inducted every year? They should limit it to one.
4) Bracket sheets - time to go back to the frames for the Champs; they deserve it.

My biggest disappointment of this years tournament was the fact the shootings at Chardon HS received no recognition and/or moment of silence. This was one of the most horrific events that has happened ever at a HS in Ohio. It greatly affected the NE Ohio community. It was my understanding that Lee Kemp (Chardon 3x State Champ; 3x NCAA Champ) was willing to lead the crowd in a moment of silence. To the best of my knowledge, the OHSAA declined Lee's offer. It would have been nice if they would have recognized this tragedy. The OHSAA missed the boat on this one.

My hearty congrats goes out to all of the competitors and coaches that made the state tournament. These are memories that you will never forget. Enjoy your success.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next