Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ultimate Fighting
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 22, 2007

Ultimate Fighting, MMA, Bodog, etc...have all emerged as popular forms of mixed martial arts competition. More importantly, they have demonstrated an ability to draw viewers, particularly young males.

I am of the opinion that this type of fighting is boring. I watch periodically while flipping around if I recognize the name of a wrestler. But, essentially, I see most matches as bad boxing matches that change as soon as one person hits a double leg. Then, you get one guy on his back who tries to avoid getting pummelled while the other guy tries to gain an advantage.

To me, most MMA matches are dull. I just see bad versions of a number of martial arts rather than a good version of one. I appreciate the reality of this event and the fact that the combatants tend to respect each other--as is typically true in wrestling. But, I'd rather watch a good wrestling match any day. I just think that there's more skill involved. I'd much rather watch boxing as well.

What do others think?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 22, 2007

IMO: There are low levels and high levels of MMA. I personally enjoy the BJJ side of things - the submissions from NOWHERE!!! - those are the best. The punches and kicks aren't as impressive to me. But, I do understand why that part is in there. To be fully well-rounded and versed in all areas of physical combat is an impressive thing (I'll try to avoid the word 'entertaining' becuse, although it is that, it is so much more).

When you see two guys who know exactly what they are doing, it is a wonderful thing. Kind of like the difference between watching two guys go at it in a dorm hallway as opposed to the NCAA finals. There is something impressive about the high level of wrestling that is occurring.

For the MMA aspect, I enjoy watching people who have trained themselves to a very high level and are masters at what they do. Watching two drunk bums - to me - is not a thing to behold.

But hey...that's just me!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on July 22, 2007

Honestly, (which always makes me wander what a person has been telling me up to this point when they start a sentence with "Honestly"...but I digress) the marketing of "The Ultimate Fighter" on SPIKE TV has snagged me, at least intermittently.

I would have never watched any of it, especially back in the "no holds barred" days. However, with Matt Hammil (Loveland) and Gray Maynard (St. Ed) on the show, both of whom I watched compete in high school, I took more interest.

For me, there is an automatic fan affiliation with them as Ohio wrestlers. I continue to casually follow their MMA careers, however, most of the time if I DVR an MMA show, I fast forward to the takedowns and finish, then clear it out. (I'd probably take more interest in the entire match if I was more knowledgeable about BJJ technique.)

On a personal level, the thing that I find profitable about the current format of MMA is that you have tactical options (submit, box, wrestle, BJJ, stall, and so on) when getting beat, as opposed to boxing where you you have only one means of defense. Also, from what I've seen, the refs are generally on the ball and if you can't intelligently defend yourself, they shut it down.

John Drumm added to this discussion on July 23, 2007

Did anybody see the History Channel "Human Weapon" last night? They had Jason Chambers (MMA & Pro boxer) fight a Mauy Thai champ (No wrestling involved, just Mai Thai). Chambers lost by decision, but it looked like the Thailand fighter may have held back. Check it out on the History Channel website for the rerun. These fighters in Thailand live & breathe Mai Thai b/c some of these fighters win $250 for a pro fight which equates to one months wages at a Thailand factory. Some 65,000 pro Mai Thai fighters in Thailand when compared to some 2,500 pro boxers in USA. They showed one camp which used a variation of Mai Thai where it seemed only elbows were used by the defensive guy making the offensive guy pay for every punch he threw (i.e., a blocked strike with the elbow meant a head strike with the elbow). These guys were lightning quick with a defensive offense.
But watching the show with a wrestlers bias, I thought somebody (a much more advanced skilled wrestler unlike myself) could post the elbows, change angle and attack to the side with a sweep single (all while avoiding a knee strike). Easier said then done perhaps.
Many MMA fights end up on the mat which does appear to give the grapplers an advantage. When I see the "tale of the tape" I usually go with the one who has excellant grappler or ground-n-pounder as a skill.

► Add to the Discussion