Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: St. Paris Graham 47, Lakewood St. Edward 13
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 16, 2007

Eds being down is just a sign about DI being down all together this year. If any other team had the horses like in years past they could knock off Eds but I still see Eds have 4 finalists and probably 4 champions more still that is more than any other team.

Perry would be 2nd best I think they could have 2 champions in White and Genetin.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 17, 2007

One thing I will say regarding St. Edward being "down" is that this is the first year that I can remember that they don't have an impact freshman. Sako, Sulzer, and Clark last year, Palmer and Gasber the year before, Roddy before that. This year, nothing. This team is not going to get better next season with the loss of Roddy, Birt and Gasber.

It looks like they'll have a "down" period (by their standards) for a few seasons. I'd look for Wadsworth to come very close within the next couple of years. In 2009 they will be a force in DI. And cleearly that Graham squad is excellent and very young, with some lights-out talent an the middle school level as well.

I also think this started last year with Habat and Robinson chosing to go to Ignatius. Those are the kinds of kids that chose Eds in seasons passed. I do, however, think they will be back. Just like when Walsh came to power in the early '90s, Eds took its lumps and came back stronger. It'll happen again.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 17, 2007

Mike--excellent point. Eds has been a top program nationally nearly every season since 1978. That doesn't happen by accident. They've responded well to challenges in the past. It's likely they'll weather this "rough patch" as well.

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on December 18, 2007

Mike, I second what was said before, you have great points. I think we might see Eds not win the big championship in a couple years (due to the amount of talent that will remain at Perry next year and at Wadsworth the following year. Though, after that I would not be surprised to see Eds fit in another 11 year stretch.
I was thinking the same thing when the Iggy pair decided to go another way than eds. Other great examples are little Roddy going to University and little Lang going to Brecksville.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 18, 2007

...And Sulzer to Holy Name. St. Edward has lost a lot of wrestlers that I'm sure they thought would be in green and gold for their high school careers. I'm with you, a couple of "down" years, and then they'll go on another run.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 18, 2007

I agree that Ed's will be down but will bounce back quickly. Question is though is there enough power in DI to derail Eds? I say no still.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 18, 2007

Not this year. They have sure-fire finalists in Sako, Clark, Palmer and Roddy. Placers in Sulzer and Birt. What other team can match three champs, a runner-up and two 4ths? Besides, they always seem to have that guy no one's ever heard of get hot and place at The Schott. I think they're safe this year, but '09 and 2010 may be a different story.

You know, this same thing happened the last time the "stumbled". It was '88 when Ignatius beat them, then came back they won it in '89, then St. Joes in '90 and Walsh after that. They battled, often lost to those great Walsh teams, but none of those teams were able to sustain that high level and when Eds came back it was better then ever. And over the last several years, St. Edward has become something truly amazing. Last year's team was incredible. And some of the teams they have fielded over the past decade had just jaw-dropping talent for one squad. If they somehow come back better the those teams it will be a long time before anyone catches up again.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on December 18, 2007

I'm not sure they're going to get beat. Sako, Clark, Palmer, Salupo, and Green return next year and you know they're going to reload as they always do.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 19, 2007

Eds' team and their talent level was simply amazing last year without a doubt. When you have a Cadet 3rd in FS as a back-up you know you have something good there. Eds will reload again I will be interested to see what top freshmen come in next year.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2