Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Maryland to Big Ten?
Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 18, 2012

Akron Beacon Journal reporting Maryland is in "serious discussions" for a move to the Big Ten, which would add two excellent teams in two very important sports -- wrestling and lacrosse.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 18, 2012

Rutgers is rumored to be the other team coming with them.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 18, 2012

why have a conference if its open to anyone and everyone? so big it loses its identity. big ten has no tradition with rutgers or maryland, no geographical connection.

example ohio st football wont play NEB for the next 4 years unless they met in championship game. In football many of these teams will rarely meet each other--- in basketball half the teams wont have home & home with each other.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 18, 2012

I have no idea why schools bolt seemingly stable conferences but it's happening a lot these days. Typically these moves are made for one reason--money.

I more greatly lament the decline of the old, venerable high school conferences that once dotted Greater Cleveland. The LEL was fantastic with anchor schools like Cleveland Heights and Shaker while the GCC featured Brush, Mayfield and the like. When these conferences disintegrated, neighborhood rivalries fell apart. It's a shame.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 18, 2012

For better or worse, college football is going to end up in four superconferences, with the winners battling it out in a playoff.

The Big Ten is looking at academic profiles, athletic profiles, and, just as important, market.

Grabbing the NY/NJ area and the Maryland/DC area makes the Big Ten Network a better sell, and, more profitable.

More change is coming, like it or not.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 18, 2012

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"For better or worse, college football is going to end up in four superconferences, with the winners battling it out in a playoff.

The Big Ten is looking at academic profiles, athletic profiles, and, just as important, market.

Grabbing the NY/NJ area and the Maryland/DC area makes the Big Ten Network a better sell, and, more profitable.

More change is coming, like it or not."

Good explanation.

Elliot Lewis added to this discussion on November 18, 2012

ACC got smart when they wrote in the exit fee of 50M to leave! I heard they are as good as in....

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 19, 2012

I agree with Jason's analysis here.

When there was allot of discussion a couple of years ago about expansion in the Big Ten, it wasn't so much about the sports side of things, as it was about academics, research grants, and market.

In a nutshell, who's gonna bring in the biggest bucks to the conference. Obviously, the New York and Washington DC markets will bring a huge following to the Big Ten Network, and greatly improve the national audience (which will help with recruiting) and following of the Big Ten on the East Coast in sheer numbers.

The other large factor, was the ability of the institution to gather large shares of academic and research grants and funding, and the level of their national standing to collect research funding. This is probably good for Rutgers. I don't know that Maryland would rank as high on that list. I believe that there is a perception, that a 'brother/sister' Big Ten school that has large research grants, will share and work with other Big Ten schools before going outwards. Thus an internal financial reward.

IT IS REALLY ABOUT THE DOLLAR SIGNS!!!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 19, 2012

we all get it, its about money & bigger markets. Noone need say that again, pleeeeeeeez, we fully understand.

looking at it from strictly a Sport-view:
doug lesmereses of the Plain Dealer brilliant article today on why the move makes him sick. Make me sick too.

let me ask is the European Economic Union happy it brought Greece and Spain in ??? bringing in weaklings never helps in the long run.

why would the big ten want more football losers, it has plenty already??? Rutgers was just beaten by Kent St-- do Ohio st fans want to play more "Indiana's & Minnesota's" ??? Ugh no. We want more Nebraska which wont happen very often, not for the next 4 years as is already.

Buckeyes No, 4 now in AP football poll though unbeaten. Why only 4, because of their weak schedule which will get weaker and duller with Rutgers & MD coming in.

Big Ten fans have no connection to these 2 newcomers. From sports point of view its lousy, imo. ...s/BobP

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 19, 2012

Additionally, what was a 6-team wrestling conference of the ACC, is now a 5-team conference.

Rutgers leaves the EIWA which has a few teams to spare, but, after the top 3 to 5... it ain't that tough. The Scarlet Knights are a middle of the road team in that conference.

I don't like it.

Anybody hear of a PSU exit? I thought I heard someone mention that on one of the sports shows. I was in and out of the car that day, and never really got to hear an entire segment. Something about a "fresh start".

Bob:

I understand your thoughts, and as a sports fan, I don't really disagree.

But, here is the rankings that the University Presidents and Boards are looking at:

HIGHER ED. R&D expenditures - FY 2010
(John Hopkins #1 at $2.004B.)
#2) UM/Ann Arbor - $1.184B
#3) UW/Madison - $1.029B
#13) U-Minn. - $786M
#14) Penn State - $770M
#16) OSU - $755M
#26) NW - $603M
#32) Purdue - $549M
#34) ILL - $515M
#37) Maryland - $451M
#39) IA - $444M
#41) MSU - $431M
#42) Rutgers - $428
#103) Nebraska - $191M
#107) Indiana - $177M

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 19, 2012

i get it Pat, and i don't care, i'm looking at sports point of view and it stinks-- no one is on this forum or watches ohio st football or wrestling because they are budget geeks except Mark Niemann ha, ha. @BobP

Last edited by Bob Preusse on November 19, 2012; edited 1 time in total

Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 19, 2012

Folks, this isn't just about sports. Does it help the conference in football? No. So what. Honestly, I don't see how this really hurts, as bad as the Big10 is in football right now. There are other sports where these 2 schools do help (or not weaken) the conference (basketball, wrestling, soccer, lacrosse).
Academically this solidifies or strengthens the conference.

There are still 2 more schools to go. The Big10 wants to go to 16. Virginia maybe? Conecticut? Duke? North Carolina?

Mark:

On your question of a PSU exit plan, well I hear that the EIWA and ACC are looking for a new school with a decent wrestling program.

I think that they would fit in well in the EIWA!!!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 19, 2012

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"Mark:

On your question of a PSU exit plan, well I hear that the EIWA and ACC are looking for a new school with a decent wrestling program.

I think that they would fit in well in the EIWA!!!"

Yes they are! At this point, wrestling would - IMO - win the ACC. They would most likely win the EIWA, but Cornell would not just roll over. Last year, Lehigh has a finalist in the NCAA's. I think he was at 165 pounds!!! I'm not sure how he fared against Taylor (PSU) (or I am certain how the match went, and am now just rambling like an uninformed moron) but it couldn't have been THAT bad, right!? RIGHT!?!?!?!

@BobP: Two chocolate covered pastries, please!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next