Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Heil v Jordan
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 11, 2012

Great match but I want to comment on the end. There are 9 seconds to go, Jordan shoots, Heil gets his legs back, takes a front head lock. The match should be over....in fact it's got to be over. Yet, Heil suddenly starts standing up way too quickly and opens a gap for Jordan to shoot in to.

How can a wrestler with Heil's experience make this sort of mistake? Was he afraid of getting hit with another stall call--which would have tied up the match?

I'm puzzled.

Had Heil simply stayed down and held on to the front head lock, the match would have ended. Instead, he stands up abruptly.

Maybe the fatigue of battle played a role? Was Heil healthy? Again, it's very hard to understand why Heil stood up with the front head when he didn't need to. It was the type of mistake one associates with an inexperienced wrestler--not a 3x champ heading to Okie State.

Here's the match: http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/249903-Flomajor-5-2012-Walsh-Ironman/video/667861-132-lbs-semi-finals-Micah-Jordan-St-Paris-Graham-vs-Dean-Heil-St-Eds

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 11, 2012

If there is one thing I have learn by reading this forum it's that fatigue (be it mental and/or physical) will lead to a breakdown of positioning. All thanks goes to the Philosophical Hammer.

If my count is correct, Micah Jordan took 216 shots in those 6 minutes. He was relentless in his pursuit of Heil. Heil did what Heil does... SOLID defense. (And by solid, I mean solid - he IS a 3x state champion, you know?) He was able to ward off the attacks for 5:52 seconds of the match (other than that SLICK and QUICK double in the first period). But in the end, Micah was able to charge through that double leg and finish the match.

I talked to my team about this match last night. I mentioned the constant pressure. I mentioned the solid defense. I even mentioned the running of the feet by MJ to secure the two points from the double leg. But my favorite thing was the emotion at the end of the match. It was obvious MJ had worked for this match...for a long time. That type of committment creates great opportunities, and sometimes, like we saw in this match, great triumphs.

Well done, MJ.

Ryan Dickson added to this discussion on December 11, 2012

"That type of committment creates great opportunities, and sometimes, like we saw in this match, great triumphs."
Great statement!

So, Mark, you're saying that Micah Jordan simply wore Heil out?

I'm fine with that explanation.

Incidentally, I did not intend to cast doubt as to whether or not Jordan deserved to win. He got the TD--he earned the win.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 11, 2012

now to part 2, should Micah have cut Pico in finals with 33 seconds left and score tied 3-3 ? there were no stalling calls at that point. He gave Pico the wining point, was that wise??

Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 11, 2012

I think you've got to try to ride that out, Bob. You can drop down and cling to an ankle, continually throw in both legs, etc.

But I respect the approach--go for the win.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"now to part 2, should Micah have cut Pico in finals with 33 seconds left and score tied 3-3 ? there were no stalling calls at that point. He gave Pico the wining point, was that wise??"

I think he feels most confident on his feet and decided that going for a TD to win was a better option than trying to maintain control without giving up a late escape.

I respect the strategy. Dropping to an ankle is only easy when you've practiced it and even then there are always counters. Pico is an incredible athlete and those guys are the hardest to control when they're really trying to get out.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 11, 2012

if was Blair, they wouldnt kick anyone out, they would expect to ride em out for 33 seconds. Realstic to think would take great athlete Pico down in 33 seconds?

now part 3, in 152 final Marinelli is up by one and chooses neutral to begin 3rd period. He gets taken down and loses by one. Was neutral choice good move by him?

Jordan and his army are neutral guys. Take a look at videos over the last three to five years. Take'm down and kick'm. For whatever reason, that's their M.O.

I think in both of those situations, Jordan was playing to their strengths. And why not!?

Hank: I think MJ's motor had a little. It could have been the intensity of the moment, the feel of the match... Whatever. But it looked to me that MJ pushed the pace.

Also, based on the two coaches in MJ's corner, they wanted that pace in order to get not one but two stalling calls. As it turns out, trying to get the second one got the winning takedown.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 11, 2012

If you try to ride him out with 33 seconds left you're playing for OT where you'll need a takedown to win anyway. So I get that one minute is better than 33 seconds to get your two, but you run the risk of him getting an escape with 10-15 seconds left where a takedown is very unlikely. The quick kick out gives you 33 seconds to score and allows you to push the pace and keep the momentum going from te late takedown you scored. I like the call.

Pet theory:

Heil was tired due to the pace Jordan maintained. But I also think he was so concerned about getting hit with a second stall call that he decided hanging on to a front head lock might also get him hit with stalling. I think this concern caused him to make an uncharacteristic error.

The ref's judgment is always part of the factors a wrestler has to consider in a tight match. Unfortunately, this is an instance where, in hindsight, the wrong decision was probably made.

Continuing with my conjecture...would the ref have hit Heil with stalling? I doubt it...but it's possible. Did Jordan deserve a stall call--and the tying point? Perhaps. Ultimately, Jordan's strategy worked. He stayed aggressive and it paid off.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"if was Blair, they wouldnt kick anyone out, they would expect to ride em out for 33 seconds. Realstic to think would take great athlete Pico down in 33 seconds?

now part 3, in 152 final Marinelli is up by one and chooses neutral to begin 3rd period. He gets taken down and loses by one. Was neutral choice good move by him?"

I like these hypotheticals. Young wrestlers--especially those with prodigious talent--are usually better on their feet than on the mat. Assuming that Marinelli did not have a stall warning, bottom would probably have been the smart move. But, I don't know enough about his opponent either. This decision was probably made by the coaches based on what they knew about Parsons on top.

Tony Rotundo added to this discussion on December 15, 2012

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"If you try to ride him out with 33 seconds left you're playing for OT where you'll need a takedown to win anyway. So I get that one minute is better than 33 seconds to get your two, but you run the risk of him getting an escape with 10-15 seconds left where a takedown is very unlikely. The quick kick out gives you 33 seconds to score and allows you to push the pace and keep the momentum going from te late takedown you scored. I like the call."

I agree on all points.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 16, 2012

1) I was told that Heil was pretty sick with the flu. I normally hate that excuse, but I kind of bought it here. Heil didn't look anything like the Dean Heil we have seen over the last 3 years in terms of aggression or, for lack of better words, ooomph.

2) Micah wrestled his butt of and deserved to win that match.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next