Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Super Frosh
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 11, 2012

Pico, Manville, Marinelli and Mark Hall are all astonishing to me and perhaps part of a new breed--begun by Chris Phillips--of star frosh. These frosh are not super light yet able to compete against older, more experienced and presumably stronger competition.

In the past, stud frosh capable of beating older wrestlers were almost exclusively at one of the two lightest wt classes.

Any thoughts on what is taking place? Am I overreacting? Or is this the new trend in our sport?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on December 11, 2012

I think there are always super-frosh, but Pico and Hall may be a step above most. However, Pico and Hall are also old, even for being held back. I know that I saw somewhere that both were 2nd year Cadets at Fargo, which is generally someone heading into their junior year, not their freshman year.

If these two were juniors would we be quite as impressed. Imagine if they go to college, take a regular redshirt and an olympic redshirt. They could be 25 year old seniors. Crazy.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on December 11, 2012

Thanks for the info Jason. I was just gonna ask how old these kids were because the first thing that popped into my head was that they were held back and are a year or 2 older than most freshman.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on December 13, 2012

Mark Hall was a 7th grader twice i believe. i read an article where he was 2nd at the state tournament in KY as a 7th grader then transferred to MN so he could wrestle for apple valley was held back and won a state title there (as well as in 8th grade). he has a chance to win 6 high school state titles plus a runner up, that's crazy. not bad for a kd who actually lives in Michigan.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 13, 2012

These kids are getting more and more impressive. Every time I think they can't get any better, one comes along that blows me away. There have been a few upper weight under classmen who have impressed in recent years ( before Phillips), but they were, for the most part excelling on the state level...a young Mike Pucillo or Joey Dennis comes to mind. But this new breed excels at he national level, truly remarkable. It's a privilege to watch them.

Bill Splete posts on this site from time to time. I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on the subject. Over the four years I was in high school he and Luke Fickell were the two non-lightweight wrestlers who had real early success. Fickell did not qualify as a freshman 160, but beat both finalists in DII that year. Splete, to his credit, took a strong third at 138 in the big school division. It was unheard of at the time for a freshman to do so well at a middle weight in AAA.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on December 14, 2012

Pico was twice a Cadet before high school. Has October 1996 birthday.

Hall was only Cadet once before high school, has an early 1997 birthday.

Regardless of their age/grade, their ability level is impressive. Even if they were sophomores, they would be superstars in that grade as well - and probably viewed similarly.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 14, 2012

"Pico was twice a Cadet before high school. Has October 1996 birthday."

In my mind that is not freshman, at least athletically.

Great article on Bright from St.Eds. in yesterday's Plain Dealer. I think it mentions he just turned 17. . .as a senior:

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/-8711094556837447181/st-edward-wrestler-edgar-bright-jr-takes-losses-in-stride-keeps-eyes-on-lofty-prize/

For those interested on going to this webpage this reporter, Tim Warsinsky, frequently writes good articles about high school wrestling in N.E. Ohio.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 16, 2012

Quote from Matt Schein's post:

"Mark Hall was a 7th grader twice i believe. i read an article where he was 2nd at the state tournament in KY as a 7th grader then transferred to MN so he could wrestle for apple valley was held back and won a state title there (as well as in 8th grade). he has a chance to win 6 high school state titles plus a runner up, that's crazy. not bad for a kd who actually lives in Michigan."

Pucillo was only a 125 as a freshman.

Elliot Lewis added to this discussion on December 17, 2012

Though Marinalli took second, he is only 14...or a let's say "True Freshman"....

Good stuff!

► Add to the Discussion