Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: let's Go Logan!
Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

It might not have been the prettiest win but it was a win. I felt bad for Jason Welch, another fantastic wrestler who never won an NCAA title. You have to seize the opportunity when it's there.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Logan was the best wrestler in the country for half the match.....then it got interesting.
"

Logan put himself into a terrible position trying not to give up the td. A very unwise move in the national finals and he could have gotten stuck for it, but let's be real here; He controlled the entire match other than about 20 seconds. I wouldn't say he didn't control the 2nd half of the match."

When he dove through those legs, my mind immediately flashed back to the very controversial Jaggers/Lashaway call in the dual meet.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

I immediately cringed and thought of his post-championship win from a year ago when he said that one of the adjustments he made after his loss to Oliver was to STOP diving for the ankle to defend a shot.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

As Rex has said many times, when fatigue, mental and/or physical, or stress sets in, that's when mistakes are made. Logan went with a response that has worked for him in the past against lesser wrestlers, and almost paid dearly for it.

In the end, if Logan needed a takedown late to win, I think he would have gotten it. Ramos had no answer.

Congrats to Logan, Hunter and Nick on their All-American efforts this year!!!!!

Congrats to the rest of the team for their efforts this year. Starters and non-starters alike, your hard work was invaluable to the team.

GO BUCKS!!!!!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

The key here was "worked for him in the past against lesser wrestlers", which was not the case last night. Ryan seemed to think it was because no one had take him down all year so he was bent on not bailing out. Like Mike said, I, too, had flashbacks to the Jaggers/Lashaway pin. Here's hoping Logan had a big bowl of ice cream or his favorite food last night, job well done! 2-time NCAA Champion.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

That position is neutral and is dependent upon whether you give yourself enough advantage from outset. Delgado made it work for him in the finals.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

Yeah... Logan's not much of a scrambler though, so I don't think he's as proficient in that position as a Delgado or Jaggers or a number of other guys.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

I respectfully disagree and rather see it as a matter of which scramble he engages. That one was problematic because Ramos showed extreme discipline and did not follow to mat.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I respectfully disagree and rather see it as a matter of which scramble he engages. That one was problematic because Ramos showed extreme discipline and did not follow to mat."

This is why I am not a fan of this in the finals. Ramos should have (and be expected to have) the discipline not to follow this to the mat. 20/20 hindsight in play, just give up the 2 and get back up.

Anyway, Logan really looked good up to that point and then just kept everything in check from there. I suspect he would have continued to push had this not played out the way it did.

Whether or not he is a 4x NCAA champ, I love where he is headed beyond college. I just hope he gets to be an Olympian. I suspect he will be an international "Superstar" much like Burroughs in a few years.

John Ice added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

Whether or not he is a 4x NCAA champ, I love where he is headed beyond college. I just hope he gets to be an Olympian. I suspect he will be an international "Superstar" much like Burroughs in a few years. Couldn't agree more!

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

So I had one of the refs of the Dake match on my plane home and was talking to him about that match and Stiebers match and I asked if he thought it was NF and he said probably but the problem was when it happened brands went crazy and was jumping around and blocked the mat side camera and so all they could see was him during the review and couldn't get a good view of Ramos and Stieber.

What did you guys think about the welch match 2 NF or no?

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

I thought it was the right call since they didn't award it to Ramos. They were consistent.
I find it funny that Tom Brands's flipping out may have been what cost Ramos points.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"I thought it was the right call since they didn't award it to Ramos. They were consistent.
I find it funny that Tom Brands's flipping out may have been what cost Ramos points."

Terry and Kurt Backes were in his corner. The two Tom's were sitting next to each other in the front row.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 24, 2013

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"I thought it was the right call since they didn't award it to Ramos. They were consistent.
I find it funny that Tom Brands's flipping out may have been what cost Ramos points."

Terry and Kurt Backes were in his corner. The two Tom's were sitting next to each other in the front row."

True, but I do remember Tom Brands flying out of his seat and running towards the officials.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

I knew Tom was sitting next to Tom Ryan. I didn't think that there was no way he could have interfered with the camera angle since he didn't run up to the mat until after the move (obviously). So, it must have been Terry if it was anyone.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next