Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Was it NF for Ramos...and why wasn't it?
Fred Feeney added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

I talked to the ref....the replay video didn't work.
Since he couldn't review it...call stood.
He told me he had a 1 1/2 count. Had the video replay worked...it might of changed since the video has a timer on it showing exact time.
If you notice on the broadcast..the official goes over and speaks to the man sitting to the right of Ron Beachsler (NCAA rules boss)...that guy is Justin Tritz...heads up Trek Wrestling.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

NF-2 for Ramos, Fred.

From my angle...yes. If you watch the video..the ref starts with one hand...finishes with the other.
Without video...he had nothing to go one other than his original call.
That's why positioning is the most important thing.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

Quote from Fred Feeney's post:

"I talked to the ref....the replay video didn't work.
He told me he had a 1 1/2 count. Had the video replay worked...it might of changed since the video has a timer on it showing exact time.
If you notice on the broadcast..the official goes over and speaks to the man sitting to the right of Ron Beachsler (NCAA rules boss)...that guy is Justin Tritz...heads up Trek Wrestling."

I was talking with the assitant ref of the Dake match and he said that Brands was in the way and that they couldnt tell becuase he was blocking the view.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

[quote="James Kessen I was talking with the assitant ref of the Dake match and he said that Brands was in the way and that they couldnt tell becuase he was blocking the view.[/quote]

then there is a god!!

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Fred Feeney's post:

"I talked to the ref....the replay video didn't work.
If you notice on the broadcast..the official goes over and speaks to the man sitting to the right of Ron Beachsler (NCAA rules boss)...that guy is Justin Tritz...heads up Trek Wrestling."

I was talking with the assitant ref of the Dake match and he said that Brands was in the way and that they couldnt tell becuase he was blocking the view."

Tom or Terry?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"Tom or Terry?"

Tom Brands was sitting next to Tom Ryan in the first row of the stands so it was Terry.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

I just wanted to clarify, because I wasn't sure at what point Tom Ryan and Tom Brands were still sitting together.

I thought it was possible that Tom Brands left his seat prior to the move in question, and that he might have inadvertently been the one to block the camera view.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

I drew the conclusion that the referee got a little confused in his count because he used both hands or that his count was impeded by the necessity to switch sides. Sounds like the latter.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

What did you guys think about the Welch match? I think Welch should have gotten 2.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

Now that the match is over, and I have reviewed the DVR several times, I am okay with rewarding the 2-NF to Ramos and officially changing the score to 7-6 Stieber.

:-)

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

God forgive me for asking....After reviewing the video several time, how close was it too a pin? That scared me worse than the NF. I'm not implying I thought it was a pin, but some guys call a pretty quick fall at times.

It was a great match and a prime example of why we wrestle them. Anything can happen.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

I was curious about the pin thing as well. The ESPN camera angle did not capture the back of Logan...just had a viewing angle from the front side down at his feet.

If the video didn't work then why did it take so long to "review?"

They were trying to get it to work.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 25, 2013

There amount of little things that go into whether or not Wrestler A wins a national championship is just shy of infinite.

Even if the action went in such a way that near-fall or a pin should have been called, the referee would have had to call it. He didn't.

Those are two distinctly different things.

The fact is, according to the referee, there was no near-fall points awarded because the action did not meet near-fall criteria. Obviously fans are going to debate that and that's what we're doing here.

The other fact is, even if you disagree with the fact that the action did not meet near-fall criteria, it's impossible to disagree with the fact that the referee did not call it. (Not that anybody is, but I'm pointing it out because it's an important part of the equation.)

Those are just a couple of the little things that go into winning and losing.

----------

*** EDIT: This is not directed at anyone on here but it is an opinion that people have expressed on other media. ***

Furthermore, those who do believe that Ramos got "robbed" of a win are cherry-picking one situation and are using that to put their own spin on the entirety of the match.

Let's say that in a dream world, Ramos did get awarded the near-fall points. Stieber would still have had the lead. Stieber and Ramos both still would have had plenty of time to do whatever it is they would have done.

Could it have propelled Ramos to win? It could have.

Could it have propelled Stieber to gain an even bigger lead on Ramos? It could have.

Could it have gone just the way it did? It could have.

Anything could have happened. But what could have happened is all hypothetical.

A near infinite amount of things could have happened to cause Ramos to win the match. They didn't.

Logan Stieber won his second consecutive national championship. That is a fact.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next