Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: F. Scott Fitzgerald was wrong
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 9, 2013

F. Scott Fitzgerald once said, "There are no 2nd acts in American life" --he was wrong, heres a guy on his 3rd act! Bill Barger is once again the head wrestling coach at Walsh Jesuit. ...s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 9, 2013

I thought F. Scott Fitzgerald said "Give me liberty or give me death."

Either way, congrats to Mr. Barger. A whole host of folks were tweeting about it today.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 10, 2013

Coach Barger is one of the true statesmen and stuarts of our sport. Ohio High School Wrestling is better for having him involved. Welcome back Coach.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 10, 2013

Article in today's PD indicates he is back running North Akron, also. That can only help Northeast Ohio wreslting.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 10, 2013

The Walsh program has had some good individuals in recent years but it has not been a strong overall program. It will be interesting to see if Coach Barger can attract more talent to Walsh.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 10, 2013

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"F. Scott Fitzgerald once said, "There are no 2nd acts in American life" --he was wrong, heres a guy on his 3rd act! Bill Barger is once again the head wrestling coach at Walsh Jesuit. ...s/BobP"

F. Scott Fitzgerald was correct for his era. He did not, however, anticipate reality TV. That has provided second acts for a wide variety of people who should have faded away.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 10, 2013

F. Scott Fitzgerald also said, "Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over."

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 10, 2013

"It is in the thirties that we want friends. In the forties we know they won't save us any more than love did."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 10, 2013

"At any rate, let us love for a while, for a year or so, you and me. That's a form of divine drunkenness that we can all try."

wise man was F. Scott

Joe Marino added to this discussion on April 10, 2013

Did I ever mention that I am the ONLY English teacher I know who HATES The Great Gatsby as a novel ? 25 years and I have never taught it in my 11th grade English class ! And here you guys are quoting it as if it is the Bible ! Go figure ! Different strokes for different folks, eh ? How funny ! :-)

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 11, 2013

Quote from Joe Marino's post:

"Did I ever mention that I am the ONLY English teacher I know who HATES The Great Gatsby as a novel ? 25 years and I have never taught it in my 11th grade English class ! And here you guys are quoting it as if it is the Bible ! Go figure ! Different strokes for different folks, eh ? How funny ! :-)"

A little off the topic but Joe's statement reminded me of "Red Badge of Courage". I always wanted to know more about the Civil War and figured this book would fit the bill. Well, I HATED it. Tried reading it three times and even tried using a book tape to get though it. Never made it.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 11, 2013

Bob,

Did Mr. Barger wrestle (high school or college)? Same question for Mr. Furguson?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 11, 2013

On the subject of hateful books....

The Watchmen

It's a graphic novel and had received huge hype. Some guy from Time had named it as one of the 25 best books of the last 10000 years or some such honor. I buy it on my way to Martha's Vineyard figuring that since I used to love comic books, it would be a lot of fun. Maybe I'd even read it with my kids.

Wrong.

It was a densely written novel whose plot is still unclear to me. Something about former superheroes that were having a lot of sex (or not--I couldn't tell) and being stalked by someone from their past. The threat of nuclear war was the backdrop.

I still don't understand what the writer was saying and I hated all the characters. I finally threw it away.

I majored in English so in theory I'm supposed to know how to analyze literature but this tome was way beyond me. Not only impossible to follow but filled with detestable people. The writer must have just been dumped by his boyfriend and girlfriend as he received a cancer diagnosis. That's the only explanation for the vomit he spewed on the pages.

Feel better now that I got that off my chest.

By the way...I was supposed to read James Joyce in college but he was also impossible to follow. It was kind of like interpreting a religious text. Maybe I'd find him less baffling as an adult.

Joe Johnson added to this discussion on April 11, 2013

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Bob,

Did Mr. Barger wrestle (high school or college)? Same question for Mr. Furguson?"

Barger was a state qualifier at Akron Garfield. Never wrestled in college.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 11, 2013

Quote from Joe Johnson's post:

"

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Bob,

Did Mr. Barger wrestle (high school or college)? Same question for Mr. Furguson?"

Barger was a state qualifier at Akron Garfield. Never wrestled in college."

A voice of reason from the wilderness cries out!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next