Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: A Few Thoughts on Yesterday's Buckeye Dual
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 13, 2014

--Nick Heflin is exactly the same wrestler we've seen the last few years. He's risk adverse and instead tries to manage every second of every match to his advantage. It's not fan friendly but he's got two AA finishes and there's no arguing with success. Still, an elbow pass or some type of re-shot have got to become part of his arsenal. The guys at 197 are too big for everything to work as well as it did for him at 174.

--Didn't get to see most of Nick Roberts match but he appears to have had Delgado on the ropes. Dual meets, with their one hour weigh ins, present opportunities for upsets. Roberts almost pulled off a nice one yesterday.

--I don't want to beat up on Kyle Visconti but he did not show the same level of motivation that we've seen out of him in the past. A few years ago, he had respectable redshirt results. And during the times he was called upon to wrestle 133 last season, he gave the team a bit of a spark. Now, he looks like his heart isn't in it. He wouldn't be the first kid to get worn out by the rigors of D1 wrestling. Personally, however, I hope he rediscovers his "mojo" and starts showing more passion on the mat.

--Paddock seems to be getting more consistent at 149 and Caleb Ervin might be his best win to date. Besides Tavanello, that was the Bucks biggest win of the dual.

--Kudos to Languis and Grandy at 157 and 165. Both are probably up one weight too high yet battling for every sec. Languis, in particular, is impressive. I'll bet the coaches love him.

--Mark Martin wrestled a very fine match for about 6:30 but blew the d-mn thing at the end. Painful way to lose when you know you should have won but he can't give up those two backs late to send it into OT. Stay flat and give up the stall call if needed. Also, I don't understand the strategy not to go top for the 30 sec rideout. Every wrestler has to have a strategy they practice for that situation. Spiral, drop to a single when he comes up, force a stalemate, rinse, repeat for 30 seconds. Not easy to do but it is something you can practice and become adept at.

--Ken Courts has a lot of talent on his feet and his tilt is very good. He needs to keep working on flattening opponents out and trapping that arm. He doesn't have to hit the tilt; it's the threat of it that will allow him to ride better. Courts is a borderline AA. If he wants to finish top 8, he'll need to really work on winning certain positions (that's me trying to sound like Rex).

--Nick Tavanello wrestled a smart match and showed tremendous patience. It took guts to hit a shot late in OT but he went for it and made it work. Everyone likes to say that 285 is a weak weight but I think the opposite is true. Tavanello wrestles a lot of tough guys and shows no quit. I think it will be quite a battle between him and Haines in the future. His one takedown in OT is the difference between the Bucks feeling like they salvaged the weekend or had a disastrous road trip. Congrats to Tavanello for being the hero.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 13, 2014

My only fear with Heflin is he kind of reminds me of the kid that was a 2x placer and for his senior years decides he is done cutting weight and is going to wrestle whatever weight he wants and starts to lose to kids they should never lose to and then lose that first match at states/nationals and it doesnt end well.

I'm probably wrong but just thinking out loud and please feel free to yell at me for typing this.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 13, 2014

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"My only fear with Heflin is he kind of reminds me of the kid that was a 2x placer and for his senior years decides he is done cutting weight and is going to wrestle whatever weight he wants and starts to lose to kids they should never lose to and then lose that first match at states/nationals and it doesnt end well.

I'm probably wrong but just thinking out loud and please feel free to yell at me for typing this."

You dirty son of a motherless goat! In all seriousness, I have never been able to sort Helfin out. There may be some validity to your thought. And then Heflin will get to March and place 2nd or something. I gave up on prognosticating that guy ;-)

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on January 13, 2014

Hank:

Great Insight, thank you for your thoughts.

It good to have you back on the site! We missed you!!!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 13, 2014

Looking back it was a nice decision to have Languis move up to 157. He is a better "backup" at 157 than he was at 141. Who would have thought he would hold Ian Miller to a decision? I'm glad too, they have Grandominico at 165. He got thrown to the wolves last year (even one match at 174 I think) when we needed a backup.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 13, 2014

Hank-
You nailed a lot of things.

I, too, get frustrated when a rideout skillset does not get implemented. A lot of holes in the wrestling spectrum. You have to be complete or at least manage a match so that you are always in strong position and avoid weaknesses.

Seven basic skills, how about seven basic scenarios.

The same variables play themselves out in every dual meet and impact outcome.

1)Takedown being the deciding factor late into the match.
2)Being able to break an opponent down.
3)Being able to score an escape off a stand up. All the roly poly stuff is great but the true litmus test of an escape is the stand up.
4) A rideout skillset
5) Being conditioned for the entirety of the match. Yes, the NCAA tournament rewards the wrestler with the best rate=effort/time. Courts is slick and I love his attacks but his rate concerns me.
6)Excellent handfighting
7)Riding time

Until practice directly (not indirectly) addresses an issue, there will always be an issue.

I talked to a couple HS coaches recently who are having issues with some of their wrestlers falling back on old bad habits. You have to hardwire new habits & the only way to do it, is through literally drilling into their skulls until it overrides the other behavior. I don't care if you have to spend a half hour each day for a month drilling the same position with yelling and feedback until it clicks, but it will click. You don't give the wrestler any other option or out.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

You dirty son of a motherless goat! In all seriousness, I have never been able to sort Helfin out. There may be some validity to your thought. And then Heflin will get to March and place 2nd or something. I gave up on prognosticating that guy ;-)"

Niemann just reminded me of that....HA. Pure luck I assure you. But I'm glad Heflin finished strong. I suspect we'll look back and find that he lost to a really special kid. And that's not to take away from Heflin being special!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

One thing struck me as I watched the Heflin finals, why didn't he use the stand up he used against Schiller? He didn't react a whole lot on the whistle against Cox.

► Add to the Discussion