Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: David and Goliath
Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 30, 2016

Thank you Justin.

Not often do you get an unsolicited request to provide insight into your mentor.

Michael Stanley Holman

My dad grew up on the west side and went to Franklin Heights. He was a farm kid.

His dad grew up in Iowa, played football for Iowa State and followed his coach to OSU. Grandpa Holman captained and quarterbacked the Ohio State Buckeyes Football team in 1929, coached at Franklin and Marshall and returned to central Ohio where he started a family on Murnan Rd in Galloway.

Dad was the oldest of three kids. He played football and wrestled for Franklin Heights. He quarterbacked the football team. He finished fifth in the state as a senior (in Harry Houska’s weight class) wrestling for Don Woodland. He is an excellent student. From there, he received an appointment and went to the United States Naval Academy.

That being said, my dad is a product of the culture of the Naval Academy and Navy in the 60s. Everything he does, resonates of the time he spent there and the value system he embraces.

When we talk, leadership, merit, and effort seem to be his favorite topics.

After fulfilling his commitment, He came back to Central Ohio and enrolled at the OSU Law school in 1969. My brother Scott was born in 1967 and I was on the way when he started. One of his mild regrets is that he would have like to have become a cardiologist. As it was, he practiced construction law as a partner at Bricker and Eckler for 37 years.

Dad started training us early in life on weekends. We would accompany him to the Athletic Club of Columbus where he got us involved in working out. It was a neat place, where professionals went. One of the staff was Fraysher Ferguson. An original bodybuilder from a bygone era. Needless to say instruction was excellent as were facilities.

Dad exposed us to wrestling early, but it was when my brother, Scott, started wrestling in 7th grade that it became serious. I started shortly thereafter while in the 4th grade. Dad began training us through the week. We would go to the Whetstone Nautilus before school. Getting up at 0600, having a protein shake and hitting the Nautilus cycle. It was 10 machines 8-12 reps two times through. Two to three times a week. We started running on off days before school. My dad was setting an example. He ran 5 miles every day for a number of years with no days off (even when sick.) We ran a shorter 2.3 mile course. Shortly thereafter, he started buying equipment for the home.

We ended up in Lincoln, Nebraska that summer at the AAU Grand Nationals. That was our family vacation. There were numerous tournaments in between. 50+ matches after the regular season ended was the norm. That pattern would follow every year through high school with the only change being the focus becoming the USAW Junior Nationals. The toughest high school competition at the time. There were no cadets. It was the place were the best went to compete.

Back to leadership. He gave us the opportunity as well as the mental and physical conditioning to excel. He and my mom made the sacrifices necessary to do so. He says, With leadership, you take care of your people. That is what he was doing with us. Taking care to provide us with opportunity and preparation. Effort had to be excellent because if it was not, you would get a stern chewing out. I remember a lot of those. He wanted the best from me and knew when I wasn’t putting forth like I could.

Enter high school. The Holmans had put in a lot of work along the way. My dad was known to show up at the end of practice and have us do extra (after a long day of lawyering). Other guys got more involved with year round wrestling. The McClellans, Dave Walter, Matt Mynster. We took trips to PA before it became commonplace. Dad helped coach the Junior National Team. It was a source of pride for me when other guys would go find my dad and ask him to be in their corner. At the end of the day, it accounted for 2 state runner up finishes, 2 state championships & 3 Junior National titles. The thing is my brother was so close to being the top guy. An interesting aside and something that foreboded my brothers senior year. Scott made it to the third day of the Junior Nationals his junior year and he was in the top 4 of his pool. They only placed six guys back then despite brackets of 100+ in some weight classes. He had beaten one of the guys and lost to one and was yet to wrestle the third guy left in the bracket. Hugh Meek from Georgia. Scott went out and took him down and gutwrenched him easy. If Scott won, he was going to the finals. Well the guy tied him up and lateral dropped him. Kind of like Inderlied did in the state finals the following year. That was back in the day when there was not as much coaching on prevention. It is a scar that Dad, Scott and I carry with us.

My dad would sit in my corner throughout much of my career. 2000 Olympic Trials when wrestling for a true third, he was in my corner. I won that match with a last second takedown. Winning is great, but it is so much better to experience with family.

He is still hammer and can knock out 50 dips on a challenge.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 31, 2016

Thanks for sharing, Rex!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 31, 2016

Wow.

#OWNit

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 31, 2016

Great story. I remember shaking your dad's hand in 1993 at the Iowa State NCAAs, with your dad wondering who I was, which was just a fan following the sport with no relatives wrestling.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 6, 2021

I am going to address four topics successively in the context of signal and noise.

John Smith commentary. The weigh in debacle. Dake v Burroughs. Forecasting Gold.

John Smith GOAT. Lee Kemp GOAT. Pattern is that these guys are handed the microphone on the laurels of their accomplishments. I want someone that bleeds announcing and commentary, who is hungry and motivated to provide the best commentary available. It has to add value and make the whole a better product. They need to know the history between competitors, strengths and be able to explain in terms that all audiences can understand. I didn’t hear it that way. I want explanations and why; I want insights as to how things play out. Jim Gibbons does pretty good but he hasn’t evolved his game much since he began. That being said it, added no value to me as it was just extra noise. I did’nt learn anything new or appreciate the match ups as if someone had done an outstanding job with explanation.

The weigh in. Information is coming out that there was a bar code scanner with time stamps. I don’t believe a word out of anyone’s mouth. It seems to be mostly noise. I believe the objective facts and they are that he didn’t make weight during the weigh in window. My inference is that Kevin Jackson would take the fall and get a slap on the wrist while potentially allowing J’Den to wrestle. Did’nt work out. It smelled of gaming the system after making a mistake. In ’96 they allowed Melvin Douglas to weigh in at the end of the weigh in time in a closed room supervised by a couple USAW officials. Everyone else weighed in in an open area where everything was transparent and visible. After seeing what happened in ’96, I’m fairly certain people in and around USAW know how to bend the rules. There are now more safeguards in place so that the rules are not as easily bent.

Dake and Burroughs. Dake turned the corner. His defense became good enough to shut down Burroughs offense. He eliminated JB offense from the equation of outcome. While it was semi-boring, it offered the best chance for a Dake victory. His defensive preparation was signal. It was the defining variable in those matches. There was one guy at the weight between him and an Olympic berth. The mini tournament for him was just another day of wrestling where he could entertain more positions. However, against Burroughs his disciplined attack won him the match. He only entertained positions of strength. It reminded me of his win against Taylor in the NCAAs minus giving up the first takedown. (from memory, could be wrong)

Forecasting Gold. I predict Gable Steveson wins Gold. I mentioned this on a FB page and was met with he stands no chance against Akgul or Petriashvili. Whatevs Bros. Gable has the offense that can take down anyone in the world. His rate of attack from last year to this year are two different things. Last year I questioned his conditioning. This year, he is one the best conditioned wrestlers. His sudden rise resembles Steven Neal in ’99. Neal had a world class offense. He could take down anyone. I feel the same way about Gable. Two takedowns wins the match. This is signal to me. Dominant variables that determine outcome. In regard to his defense, I recall him giving up a takedown to Kerkvliet at Big Tens, however it was at the end of the match and on the edge. He had a mental lapse. I expect him to be even sharper at the Olympics with no lapses.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 6, 2021

Keep it coming, Rex, inquiring minds want to know.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 7, 2021

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

".

John Smith GOAT. Lee Kemp GOAT. Pattern is that these guys are handed the microphone on the laurels of their accomplishments. I want someone that bleeds announcing and commentary, who is hungry and motivated to provide the best commentary available. It has to add value and make the whole a better product. They need to know the history between competitors, strengths and be able to explain in terms that all audiences can understand. I didn’t hear it that way. I want explanations and why; I want insights as to how things play out. Jim Gibbons does pretty good but he hasn’t evolved his game much since he began. That being said it, added no value to me as it was just extra noise. I did’nt learn anything new or appreciate the match ups as if someone had done an outstanding job with explanation.
"

Funny, that is very close to what I said to the GF as we watched the event.
IMO, they dropped the ball by going away from some of the guys who had been on the mic for all the previous rounds. Being a GREAT wrestler and a GREAT coach does not make one a commentator.
However we see it all the time with retired jocks in other sports so why would we expect anything different?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2021

Dake is the best wrestler in the world in my opinion. No weaknesses and perfect for freestyle. You can't shoot on him. But he can hit a shot on you the sec you relax.

Taylor is different but arguably ready to win gold as well.

Steveson is a freak at this moment in time.

Snyder, a four time world/olympic champ, is probably our fourth best starter.

Gilman and JO are certainly medal capable.

Excellent squad.

Ryan Mitchell added to this discussion on April 7, 2021

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

".

"

Funny, that is very close to what I said to the GF as we watched the event.
IMO, they dropped the ball by going away from some of the guys who had been on the mic for all the previous rounds. Being a GREAT wrestler and a GREAT coach does not make one a commentator.
However we see it all the time with retired jocks in other sports so why would we expect anything different?"

I watched a good deal of the trials on NBCSN and on Peacock. While the inability to switch easily from mat to mat, bad camera angles and the terrible use of the score bug bothered me a lot, the commentary on the main mat, while not superb, was better than most I've seen. Jason Knapp was the play-by-play man and has done wrestling before, He doesn't know the sport from the inside, but he has done a good job generally describing the action, using mostly proper terminology and seeming to either know the rules, or shut up when he didn't. He is a professional and it shows.

Shane Sparks is a pro who knows the sport and has a much more frenetic style. The other mats were done by guys who obviously know and love wrestling, but are not trained announcers and it also shows.

As for John Smith, I thought he was an enjoyable part of the broadcast. While not overly informative. His delivery is natural, without the typical halts, stops, stepping on the PBP guys toes I've seen most former athletes who occasionally do announcing. His genuine love for the sport came through in his description of the action and his voice works well for television. For the hard-core, deep knowledge wrestling fan, he might not have delved deeply enough into the X's & O's but he did a bit more of that in the finals than during the early rounds. In fact, I'm quite sure that the producers told him to up the "coach speak" before the finals because his style changed quite a bit. For casual fans and novices. I thought it was a good amount of information and opinion. The backstory between wrestlers and personal interest info would have been great from him, but it’s not really an analyst’s task to put that stuff to the fore as much as it is the play-by-play announcer’s job to deliver it and have the analyst react to it.

The amount of prep work that goes into a broadcast of this nature is gigantic if you want to do it well and you have to do it knowing you won't get to use most of your info. Where most former athletes in the booth fail is in thinking they will just know what to say when the time comes. Some are better at it than others, but over a long period of time, that will not hold up.

One of the issues on wrestling and similar non-mainstream sports is "Juice vs Squeeze" for one-off broadcasts like this. If one were being paid a fairly low rate for a broadcast on a streaming service, or low-tier cable network like the former Spectrum Sports (I assume the rate was much higher for the NBCSN show), is it worth it to spend 40+ hours scouring the world for nuggets I probably won't get to use? If I'm a professional broadcaster trying to get future gigs on major networks in major sports, it is, but if I'm a world-renowned athlete who may or may not ever want to do this again, and they’ll probably ask me to do it again anyway as long as I don’t really mess it up? meh.

I wasn’t able to do any OSU events for BTN+ this past season and it’s been a few years for the state finals, but I hope to get back to normal next year and would welcome this board’s critiques.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2021

Just read Rex's post from 2016 about his father and the influence he had on Rex and his brother. What a great tribute. As a parent, it makes me think about how I've handled my kids and where I might improve.

I did crack up when I read the name "Michael Stanley" Holman as Michael Stanley, the Cleve based rocker, was a huge part of my teenage years. Incidentally, like Rex's father, Michael Stanley was his first and middle name. His last name was Gee. Also, like Rex's Dad, he was driven and successful.

Perhaps some of you should consider naming your next child "Michael Stanley?" Too late for me.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 8, 2021

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Just read Rex's post from 2016 about his father and the influence he had on Rex and his brother. What a great tribute. As a parent, it makes me think about how I've handled my kids and where I might improve.

I did crack up when I read the name "Michael Stanley" Holman as Michael Stanley, the Cleve based rocker, was a huge part of my teenage years. Incidentally, like Rex's father, Michael Stanley was his first and middle name. His last name was Gee. Also, like Rex's Dad, he was driven and successful.

Perhaps some of you should consider naming your next child "Michael Stanley?" Too late for me."

Or you could name your next sandwich the 'Michael Stanley'? :)

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 8, 2021

https://www.facebook.com/KenChertowCamps/posts/10220315601345973

I thought this was excellent.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 8, 2021

Granted some things are lost on me and it takes the help of others to see the light.

Two stories. (a result of them sticking in my brain and influencing my thoughts-signal)

Circa 1989, Bobby Douglas Wrestling Camp in Wheeling, West Virginia. Dan St John was a clinician /counselor at the camp as was I. I was watching him teach when he went into a rant. It was pretty friggin’ amazing now that I look back onto it. It was about being an alpha male and how wrestling was the sport of Alpha males. It was’nt that clear or eloquent in verbiage but the message was to me. It was to the effect, you are a wrestler and there is no one tougher in this world than a wrestler. It was loud, aggressive and in your face type stuff; the type of emotion that you might see if a fight was going down. Basically, he was making the statement that wrestling deserves the respect that it does not get because we are too mild and quaint in our approach to promotion. As such, you get sand kicked in your face no respect. It should always be, that guy is a wrestler, respect it.

2000 ish. I was in Colorado Springs at a get together with Dan St John, Mike Van Arsdale, Eric Albarracin and Orlando Rosa. Wrestlers sitting around talking. Again, the message was clear. We are the dominant sport insomuch as being able to fight with physical force and being outstanding yet with little attention or respect for our skillset.

I walked with giants this whole time. Kevin Randleman, Mark Coleman, Mike Van Arsdale, Dan St John, Kevin Jackson. These guys are legends and in the top 99.5% of combat athletes to ever walk the earth. The list goes on of the guys that I had the opportunity to train and compete with. I did’nt understand it. If I did’nt understand it, how could I get others to do so as well? I did'nt.

That sense of pride that you get from wrestling. That is real and for the reasons the guys were talking about.

I’ve seen the analogy of wrestling to chess. It’s real. One small slip in position and you lose the crown.

So, you have the greatest sport in the world misunderstood and maligned in mediocre rhetoric. This rhetoric is the same stuff that doesn’t get our sport any appreciation and allows commentary to be bland and dull.

Bland and dull does not sell.

Toughest amateurs (lowly paid professionals) to walk the earth. Appreciation for the the nuance of position.

That sells and it’s the truth.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3