Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA Wrestling Pool Competition
Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"[
Me too. He was a low rank (cheap buy) with high end capabilities. Certainly should have outplaced his seed. Instead, he loses to Grajales* and falls to the 7th place match.
"

Ain't this what makes D1 college wrestling great. A national champ can fall to non-placement in a season. Think about McDonough last season. No one is immune from it. The next awesome guy in a given weight class is always on the horizon. And, repeating as a national champ is crazy difficult.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

Pat Campbell has often posted that the difference between top guys and those right below them is often small and that any number of factors can even things up. That's what we're seeing at the national tourney every year but this one in particular.

Kindig in the finals? Yep. He just needed a few small breaks and had to wrestle well at the right time.

High praise to guys like Logan, D.T., Ruth and Howe for the amazing job they do navigating through this "minefield" every March.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

I watched Devin Carter wrestle in the quarterfinals and semifinals. I am completely amazed that a wrestler who had such a serious injury can come back with such force. Usually having an injury of that sort causes one to become completely out of shape but there is no evidence of that with Carter. He seems as well conditioned and as strong as ever. It should be quite a battle with Stieber.

J'Den Cox is someone who gets in on deep shots for takedowns very regularly. Nick Heflin is such a good counter wrestler that this may work to his advantage if Cox gets a little sloppy with his shots later on in the match. This match may turn out to be a relatively high scoring affair.

Bruce

Probably the most fun tournament to watch in years (at least from my perspective). It's been great to see the likes of Tsirtsis put it together as the early predictions said he would (though he struggled as little early).

Kindig is a great story.

Adam Coon… what happened to #1?

The truly experienced champions have showed it: Stieber, Taylor, Ruth, Nelson

Excellent former champs have shown the vulnerability of the sport: Maple, St. John, and formal finalist Port as well.

Guys that were written off: Tav goes 4-2. How often is a guy 4-2 at the NCAAs and NOT an AA? To pigtail brackets get you that, but as Tom Tyler always says: Peak when it matters most :-D

And, because I just I love saying it: NEVER bet against the likes of Dylan Ness! The unpredictable kind of is predictable.

Of course the heart break: I didn't know who to root for when it came to Ness vs Miller. Ian Miller is the real deal in a bear of a class. Hope he gets 3rd!

Jeremy Johnson finishing his career with class and another deserved AA finish.

OU Bobcats really looked good in this tournament!

How about guys that kind of don't get the recognition/respect they deserve? Say an Earl Hall from ISU?

Future superstars? Gabe Dean!
(Don't shoot me, BUT) Zain Retherford…he is the real deal and will continue to be an issue for Logan because he is that good. I thought Logan was on his toes the entire match yesterday. He was in control, but he was a small mistake away from that being a seriously tight match or loss at all times. Logan was in great control in the 3rd, but I bet he was sweating the 1st 2 periods more than we realize. Some can say it wasn't a close match…they are wrong. Logan did wear him down and dominate the 3rd, but that was not the case in the 1st 2 periods. Zain train is the legit competitor Logan needs to challenge him through next season.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

Pat: Well said.

No need to apologize for complimenting Retherford. He's outstanding and has proven it by finishing 4th as a true frosh at a weight with three outstanding upperclassmen. Dean is also a fabulous talent.

Imagine if BoJo had started this year. Would we be discussing whether or not he was the best true frosh? I hope so.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

How many true freshmen AAs were there?

How many RS freshmen AAs were there?

BTW, pretty cool for English (PSU) to finish his career as an AA and knocking off last season's national champ in his last match.

Steve Durose added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"How many true freshmen AAs were there?

How many RS freshmen AAs were there?"

11 Freshman All Americans

Clark
Peters
Dance
Retherford
Minotti
Tsirtsis
Realbuto
Jordan
Dean
Dechow
Cox

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

I don't think Zain and Logan are that close. In their three matches in neutral takedowns. Stieber 6. Zain 1. Back points. Stieber 2. Zain 0 . Stieber has rode Zain for a longer period of time too. Zain is a great young talent and when he beat logan he wrestled a perfect match(logan wasn't himself and wrestled like his worst match ever). It takes too many variables to go in Zain's favor for it to happen again. Zain's best position is on top where he grinds on you,but Logan and D.T. actually go for back points. Logan is so explosive from the neutral position he much better than Zain from their. Before this season Logan was pretty great from the bottom. He had been focusing on international competition the past two seasons. Which working on bottom is not needed. He just needed to make a few adjustments and his back to the old Logan!

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

So who won the pool?

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

The way to win this pool is to wait until I post my picks, and then you simply pick the complete opposite.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

So what did I win again? LOLOLOLOL!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

"The way to win this pool is to wait until I post my picks, and then you simply pick the complete opposite."

A great quote from Georg Kostanza!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

Brandon Howes (ONU/Pickerington North) was out front as the event was coming to a close.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

Quote from Brad Proudfoot's post:

"The way to win this pool is to wait until I post my picks, and then you simply pick the complete opposite."

A great quote from Georg Kostanza!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUvKE3bQlY

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next