Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU Buckeyes 2014/2015
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

#FreeTilly

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Quote from Ron Hreha's post:

"So is a Mark Martin red-shirt and Joey Davis transfer in at 174 a pipe dream? I've read about Joey's potential grade issues on this site. Lack of available wrestling money was also mentioned. Davis has to project higher than #6 and could be the difference maker in the hunt for the team title."

Davis is staying at Notre Dame for another season so we can close the books on that dream

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2014

Agree with C.P. about one thing--Iowa's the team to beat on paper. Clark, Telford and Evans are a fine trio. Add in Gilman, Burak, Brooks, Moore among others and that's a team with proven talent that can win it all.

But I love any team that's being led by Logan Stieber. The fact he's going for his 4th while the team chases a title is high drama indeed. I think the Bucks are gonna do it.

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Agree with C.P. about one thing--Iowa's the team to beat on paper. Clark, Telford and Evans are a fine trio. Add in Gilman, Burak, Brooks, Moore among others and that's a team with proven talent that can win it all.

But I love any team that's being led by Logan Stieber. The fact he's going for his 4th while the team chases a title is high drama indeed. I think the Bucks are gonna do it."

Hold on just a second Mr. Kornblut!

Ohio State is the team to beat. That's my stance/opinion. 4 title contenders in Stieber, Stieber, Snyder and BoJO. A hammer with Tomasello who I'd be stunned to see off the podium. Fringe AA guys like JDJ, Demas and Courts. Solid but not spectacular with Martn and Tav.

Iowa has likely AA's with Gilman, Clark, Moore, Evans, Brooks and Telford. However, in that mix I'm not seeing one title. They'll need titles to bring it home and I don't see it.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Quote from Christian Pyles's post:

"

"Agree with C.P. about one thing--Iowa's the team to beat on paper. Clark, Telford and Evans are a fine trio. Add in Gilman, Burak, Brooks, Moore among others and that's a team with proven talent that can win it all.

But I love any team that's being led by Logan Stieber. The fact he's going for his 4th while the team chases a title is high drama indeed. I think the Bucks are gonna do it."

Ohio State is the team to beat. That's my stance/opinion. 4 title contenders in Stieber, Stieber, Snyder and BoJO. A hammer with Tomasello who I'd be stunned to see off the podium. Fringe AA guys like JDJ, Demas and Courts. Solid but not spectacular with Martn and Tav.

Iowa has likely AA's with Gilman, Clark, Moore, Evans, Brooks and Telford. However, in that mix I'm not seeing one title. They'll need titles to bring it home and I don't see it."

Christian I know it’s very early but have you heard anything about PSU RS anyone. I have seen on other sites that Megaludis and Zain could RS next year. Curious to see if there any is truth to any of the rumors.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

C.P.: Did I put words in your mouth? Usually I try and just stick to pastrami and deli.

Anyway...I agree with you. No team with more potential than Ohio State. Can they? Will they? Stay tuned....like the cliff hanger at the end of the old Batman series....

Please note as you watch this clip that the actor playing Batman is Adam West...as in the Mayor of Quahog on Family Guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwbsx6LvnfY

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Christian Pyles's post:

"

Iowa has likely AA's with Gilman, Clark, Moore, Evans, Brooks and Telford. However, in that mix I'm not seeing one title. They'll need titles to bring it home and I don't see it."

Christian I know it’s very early but have you heard anything about PSU RS anyone. I have seen on other sites that Megaludis and Zain could RS next year. Curious to see if there any is truth to any of the rumors."

For starters I have no indications that this is true, just my thoughts.

Cael has won 4 straight. I don't see him taking a back seat and conceding a year. Maybe it seems like the wise thing to do: RS your studs and be ready to go for another long run. Just seems like they'll try to find a way to be competitive and push for a title. The development in their room is pretty scary too. Guys like Gulibon, Beitz, Frey, Ging/Lawson, McCutcheon and Hammond could be pretty tough. We know Nico and Zain are great. We know Alton HAS been great. He could put a tough team out there if they are clicking by NCAA's

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Minnesota worries more than Iowa in regards to being an obsticle for TOSU. Schiller, Storley and Ness plus the Dradanes, Brancle and Pfarr and Kroells. Pfarr is fairly proven in my eyes as he had some nice wins filling in for Steinhouse. Then you throw in their redshirts and thats a lot of firepower.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Does McIntosh go 184???

For the last three years, I've been all about him. This year, something seemed amiss. Was he up one weight? Not sure, but I thought he did not take a step forward.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

"
Please note as you watch this clip that the actor playing Batman is Adam West...as in the Mayor of Quahog on Family Guy."

That's funny! BAM!

BTW, there used to be a place on the west side of Cleveland that made quahogs and called them clam steaks. They were pretty good. They're gone now. maybe you could ad that the menu.

Last edited by Patrick Campbell on March 27, 2014; edited 1 time in total

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Nice interview with Snyder on InterMat.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/13126

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

Iowa breakdown

125 - Cory Clark scored 11.5 points. I forsee Gilman being here next year, and I think he finishes just about the same as Clark.
Even

133 - Tony Ramos scored 20 points. I think Clark ends up here next year, but he’s not a finalist in my opinion. However, I could see him top 4, so that is what I will put here (15.5 points)
-4.5 points

141 - Josh Dziewa scored 2.5 points. I don’t know that he’s much better than that next year. I think Dziewa is limited and not a real AA threat.
Even

149 - Brody Grothus scored 1 point. This is a guy whom I could see making a big jump next year. I think the talent is there, he just melted this year. I’m going to project him at 8th next year (6.5 points).
+5.5 points

157 - Derek St. John scored 13 points. I’m not 100% sure who goes in here, but they won’t be St. John. My guess is Sorenson, and I see him as a 1 point guy at nationals.
-12 points

165 - Nick Moore scored 2 points. Very disappointing ending for a guy who many thought could have been a finalist on the other side of the bracket. I think he bounces back next year, but I don’t put him higher than 5th (12 points)
+10 points

174 - Mike Evans scored 9 points. Evans could finish anywhere from 1-5 next year. I don’t see him passing Storley or Kokesh, and I think next year the placement match with Brown is reversed. I’ll give him 3rd place points (13.5 points)
+4.5

184 - Ethen Lofthouse scored 1.5 points. Obviously a massive disappointment for Iowa that Lofthouse didn’t AA. I think Brooks is a similar talent, and will step in nicely next year. I will project a 6th place finish (11.5 points).
+10 points

197 - Nathan Burak scored 5.5 points. I think 8th is about the max for Burak. He is just as likely to not AA at all next year as he is to improve. I’ll keep him even.
Even

285 - Bobby Telford scored 12.5 points. Telford is another guy, like Evans, who could be first to fourth or fifth. I’ll move him up one spot to third next year (15.5 points).
+3

Overall: I could see Iowa outperforming their 2014 score just because they kind of peed down their leg a bit at a few weights. I have them at +16.5. Taking their 78.5 from this year puts them at 95 points. I don’t think that will be enough, so Iowa, in my opinion, will need to outperform their projections.

Minnesota breakdown

125 - No qualifier. Brancale was better than Kingsley this year, and Brancale didn’t qualify. The frosh Thorn is the other option. Either way, I say fringe qualifier. I’ll give 1 point.
+1

133 - David Thorn scored 10 points. Does Brancale go here? We know he had weight issues, so that seems like a good move for him. Unless the weight was really holding him back, I don’t see him having a major impact at this weight. I’ll give him 1 point as well.
-9 points

141 - Chris Dardanes scored 3 points. Crazy that neither Dardanes brother was an AA. That won’t be the case next year. I say Chris takes 6th next year (11 points).
+8 points

149 - Nick Dardanes scored 3 points. Again, I see his rise as being limited. The 2 seed was a gift, and he wasted it. I see him around 7th next year (6.5 points).
+3.5 points

157 - Dylan Ness scored 22 points. I think Ness is likely to get some pins next year, but, even with Dieringer likely moving up, he’s not the favorite, Green is. I think Miller could pass him up as well. I put Ness even.
Even

165 - Danny Zilverburg scored 7.5 points. I see Kingsley here in the projections, and I think he will be similar to what Z was during the regular season, a good, but not great, wrestler. I don’t see him duplicating Z’s run in the tourney though.
-6.5 points

174 - Logan Storley scored 13.5 points. Storley comes into next year as the favorite. I think he’s a solid bet to be in the finals, and I will project him as a champ (22 points).
+8.5 points

184 - Kevin Steinhaus scored 11.5 points. Pfarr fills in for Steinhaus, and I think he showed in his limited action this year that he is a stud in his own right. With 4 AAs back, I’ll put him in at 7th (7.5 points)

197 - Scott Schiller scored 13.5 points. Schiller will be back, and it will be interesting to see what happens with the finalists at this weight. I’ve seen a couple posts that say Cox is moving up. Snyder comes in for the Bucks. Gadsen and McIntosh are back. I will move him up to 2nd (20 points), but almost reluctantly so.
+6.5 points

285 - Tony Nelson scored 20 points. Kroells is good, but he is a fringe AA at best. I’ll put him at 8th for now (6.5 points).

Overall: I have Minnesota being worse next year than this year by about 5.5 points. That puts them at 98.5 points. Again, I think the Bucks projection is higher, and I think that justifies their status as the favorite.

Penn State breakdown
I didn’t do Penn State because it is too early to know how their lineup shapes up. Does Mega RS? Does Zain RS? Do the Alton’s bump up to get Nolf in the lineup? Does McIntosh drop to 184? Too many question marks there.

Oklahoma State as well. Between question marks about bumping up, who will be filling a spot, and general unfamiliarity with their roster and lineup, I didn’t do them.

JLJ: I'm holding you to these.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 27, 2014

JLJ is THE MAN when it comes to college wt by wt analysis, imo. ...s/BobP

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"Nice interview with Snyder on InterMat.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/13126"

Seems pretty excited to join the Buckeye team, and just level-headed enough to acquire some growth. I'll take it!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next