Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU Buckeyes 2014/2015
Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on April 11, 2014

Going back and reading those old threads made me say WOW... some of us have been posting on this board for damn near 10 years!

It's sad that I've not met most of you! We need to remedy that next year at the Big 10's in C-bus!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 11, 2014

Quote from Leo Zimmer's post:

"Going back and reading those old threads made me say WOW... some of us have been posting on this board for damn near 10 years!

It's sad that I've not met most of you! We need to remedy that next year at the Big 10's in C-bus!"

It's a deal!!!!!!

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 12, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"I have heard yes and no, both emphatically."

well jolly so, i believe u r correct, Pat-- it is yes or no, no doubt about it, imo."

I've hedged myself pretty effectively on that one, haven't I Bob.

Quote from Leo Zimmer's post:

"Going back and reading those old threads made me say WOW... some of us have been posting on this board for damn near 10 years!

It's sad that I've not met most of you! We need to remedy that next year at the Big 10's in C-bus!"

I agree, I have only met Ransick, Niemann, Hank, Bob, and I think that might be it. It has been a long time, hasn't it? Dan was only 19 when he launched the site.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 12, 2014

Well Niemann and I are planning a little trip to St. Louis as well for next year. I'll be at BIGs next year as well. We will have to put something together somewhere. I find a local bar for us to all meet at.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 12, 2014

The tough thing for B1Gs is the sheer number of overall people who will be present in relation to the distance to travel for a watering hole conducive to our #DotNet crowd.

Personally, I don't want t have to travel more than 20 minutes away from the arena to meet up.

Isn't there someone on here who owns or works at a restaurant/bar in Upper Arlington? Yabo Tacos or something like that???

Bottom line: UA watering hole >>> campus joint.

EDIT: Oh, and Dan... YEAH WE ARE!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

John Ice added to this discussion on April 12, 2014

I agree, I have only met Ransick, Niemann, Hank, Bob, and I think that might be it. It has been a long time, hasn't it? Dan was only 19 when he launched the site.

Thanks Pat!

Haha, woops, John. In my defense, I was posting from my phone while giving a baby a bottle. I get a pass for my faulty memory.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 12, 2014

I'm all for UA places much easier than campus and nicer.

I have already made reservations for St. Louis too just putting it out there for anyone else making the trek next year.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 12, 2014

I'm definitely going to be in Columbus next year for the B1G championships! Can't wait to see those I've already met and to meet some new DotNetters!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 13, 2014

where to meet?? is LARRY's on High st at Lane ave still there? no i think it closed, oh well, my youth vanished with it--

an Ohio state university campus landmark esp in the 60s and 70s-- bastion of the anti-establishment, civil rights, student rights and anti-war sentiment-- street punks mixing with professors-- sheltered suburban girls from Cleveland Heights looking to be hip -- looking to score some drugs-- guys talking sheeeeet about being from the ghetto-- would-be and legit hippies wearing tie-die and bell-bottoms-- guys just praying their draft ball number didnt come up.

Great juke box, Chambers bros, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, the Stones, Crosby Stills Nash & Young. The best sub sandwiches, wine by the bottle on your table, and the pungent scent of maryjane wafting thru the air.

Larry's had it all back then, wish it was still here.
Symbol of the era, a conservative would not be welcome there-- the idea was to stay in school, debate great ideals & never graduate, keep pondering the future and hope its the same as the present.

Wonder what it would look like today?? filled with slow-to-grow-up millenials, middle-age wantabees looking for a cause or at least an alternative to their wife, and establishment burnouts upside down on their mortgages. Wouldnt be the same would it?? ...s/RodSerling from the Twilight Zone

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on April 13, 2014

"Larry's had it all back then, wish it was still here.
Symbol of the era, a conservative would not be welcome there-- the idea was to stay in school, debate great ideals & never graduate, keep pondering the future and hope its the same as the present."

So some might argue that you’re inferring that "liberals" were very much the same then as they are today – that is, all for free association and free speech, etc., just as long as you’re similar to and agree with them. :-)
Some day you or another person of high intellect will have to explain to me how you can effectively “debate great ideals” when for all intents and purposes you’re debating only with yourself, or with others of identical or at least similar ideology.

FWIW, IMO the “answer” to many of our current problems lies closer to the middle.
But boy oh boy, we sure don’t seem to be headed that way.

There now, you got me all spun up on an otherwise blissful Sunday afternoon.

In any event, sounds like Larry’s is out, perhaps for good reason :-), and that we’ll need a “Plan B”.

quote="Casey Talbott"] "So some might argue that you’re inferring that "liberals" were very much the same then as they are today –

Some day you or another person of high intellect will have to explain to me how you can effectively “debate great ideals” when for all intents and purposes you’re debating only with yourself, or with others of identical or at least similar ideology.[/quote]

huh? pleeeeeez, Casey -- u completely misunderstood.

i was merely describing a unique place at a point in time, the atmosphere of an era.

nothing was meant to be reflective of my political beliefs.

(Fact is i did not often go to Larry's -and i worked at the South Heidelberg.) ..s/BobP

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on April 13, 2014

Bob:
I wasn't attempting to insinuate that these were your beliefs, so sorry if it came across that way.
In any event, I'll stop grousing.
I was down at tOSU during the 80's.
Don't recall Larry's, not sure if it was still there.
But fond memories of the South Heidelberg and some other fine establishments along that stretch, ran into a beer or three there, back in the day.

all is ok Casey,

i was just recalling a unique place & time that has passed --the job of a writer is to make the reader feel as if they are there-- given your visceral response i guess i passed Writing 101, ha, ha.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next