Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU Buckeyes 2014/2015
John Ice added to this discussion on April 13, 2014

Out-R-Inn

20 Frambes Ave, Columbus, OH
(614) 294-9259

We used to go here when we went to the state tourney. Neat place ann no one there during the day. No food but they let you bring some in. We used to walk therefrom StJohn

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 13, 2014

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Out-R-Inn

20 Frambes Ave, Columbus, OH
(614) 294-9259

We used to go here when we went to the state tourney. Neat place ann no one there during the day. No food but they let you bring some in. We used to walk therefrom StJohn"

My best friend lived at 50 Frambes; about a hundred yards from that bar. So I spent some time there, you could say.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 14, 2014

On one of the threads someone posted about the TOSU booster club (cannot recall the actual name). I thought it was $50 and, among other benefits, included free admission to the Varsity for pre-meet gatherings. Right near St. John's. Would that include Big 10s?

Jason Russell added to this discussion on April 19, 2014

So pumped for Ohio State Wrestling next season after watching Tomasello and Snyder both win FILA Junior titles. Hopefully both make the team in may and go on to be junior world champions.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on May 1, 2014

A couple of weeks ago, I suggested a possibility that next years OSU team could 'have a shot' at having 10 All-Americans. I know that this would be a great accomplishment that rarely happens, and some of the 'coaches and experts' on this site thought that perhaps I was being irrational and insensitive to its difficulty for suggesting such a tremendous feat. - I understand their conservatism as coaches knowing all of the things that can go wrong and aware of the growth and continued development and focus and health required by the whole team to accomplish that feat. - Some obviously need more development than others.

That being said, I AM A FAN! - I have no vested interest in the result except the joy and hope of my team reaching that goal. Similar to hoping the OSU Football team would win the National Championship next year, I am hoping that the OSU Wrestling Team can manage to have 10 - AA's next year, and win the National Championship. - (Some years I am wrong about the football team, too!)

Is it an extremely hard goal to accomplish, HECK YES! But I am from the frame of mind that you have to dream of a goal before you can reach it. That being said, the following predictions were made on the discussion portion of themat.com by a writer named MSU158. I assume that he is not an OSU fan, but an NCAA wrestling fan in general. He predicted the final eight in all 10 weight classes. He ranked 8 Buckeyes in the ten classes. They are:

125 - Nate Tomasello (6th)
133 - Johnni DiJulius (6th)
141 - Logan Stieber (1st)
149 - Hunter Stieber (1st)
165 - Bo Jordan (2nd)
184 - Kenny Courts (6th)
197 - Kyle Snyder (1st)
285 - Tavenello or Haines (7th)

Of these 8, I would classify Logan, Hunter, Bo, and Kyle to have a 90-95% chance of being AA, barring injury.

Of the other 4, we could all discuss these endlessly, but for this discussion, I would say that with continued hard work and technical growth, that Nate T., Johnni DJ, Kenny, and Tavenello all have a 55-75% chance of AA due to the loss of seniors above them in their weight classes due to their performances at the last NCAA tournament.

That leaves 2 weight classes that OSU wrestlers were not ranked in this 'WAY TOO EARLY D1 - 2015 PREDICTIONS'. That would be Josh Demas at 155, and Mark Martin at 174.

No predictions that I have seen are giving Josh Demas much credit going into the season, due to missing last year with knee surgery. If he fully comes back from the injury, I expect Josh to have a very good year. I am really looking forward to see how he does in the freestyle tournament this weekend. - When Josh last wrestled 2 years ago, he defeated the following wrestlers, who I believe are now all past AA's: Ian Miller (KSU), Dylan Alton (PSU), Realbuto, Ziverberg (MINNY), and Peña (OrSU). - I know that past performance is no sure indicator of future success, but I believe that Josh will be very competitive in that weight class, if he stays healthy. - I would put his chances of AA at 60 -75%.

In summary, I am suggesting that 9 of OSU's 10 wrestlers next year have at least a 60% chance of AA.

The last OSU wrestler is Mark Martin at 174. I like Mark, and I think he had a pretty good year last year. 174 was an extremely tough and deep class last year, and except for losing the top 2 in that class to graduation, the rest of the field is returning. Mark was ranked between 12th and 15th most of the year last year, and I do believe that a knee injury hindered him tremendously in the last half of the season. - Because of the depth of this class, this will be the toughest for OSU to get an AA, but if Mark is completely healthy next year, with continued focus, I would give him a 30 - 45% chance of making AA as a true junior.

Certainly, 10 AA's is no easy task, but there is probably no other team in the country next year with as much potential to do that as OSU is! - Turning potential into reality is another issue!

John Herren added to this discussion on May 1, 2014

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

" When Josh last wrestled 2 years ago, he defeated the following wrestlers, who I believe are now all past AA's: Ian Miller (KSU), Dylan Alton (PSU), Realbuto, Ziverberg (MINNY), and Peña (OrSU). - I know that past performance is no sure indicator of future success, but I believe that Josh will be very competitive in that weight class, if he stays healthy. - I would put his chances of AA at 60 -75%.

"

Didn't Demas also beat St.John? I could be wrong.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 1, 2014

I recently saw on Twitter Dieringer said he might go 184. I know it’s a long time from now but it sounds like he is putting on some major muscle. If that is the case I think it increases Bo chances of winning.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 1, 2014

Pat A: Don't mind your optimism. I certainly think the Bucks will have a fine lineup with a rankable guy at every weight. That said--no way do four wrestlers all have odds of 90-95% to AA. I agree that those four guys are likely to have outstanding years. But, even so, really good guys sometimes don't AA. Lots of reasons why but bottom line is it's hard and the competition is really tough. Lower your odds to 75%. That's still a really high number and one more in tune with chaos theory or Murphy's law or whatever bad scenario one can envision.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on May 1, 2014

MSU158 was an NCAA runner-up for Michigan State back in the day, fwiw.

John: DSJ beat Josh three times that year by close decisions, 4-2 at dual, 3-2 at ?BIG10?, 4-0 at NCAA.

Pat C: Most of the responders on that thread conferred with MSU158's predictions, except for the Iowa and Minny fans that thought all of their wrestlers ought to be ranked in the top 4 every year.

Hank: I always respect your opinion. All four of those OSU wrestlers were picked either 1 or 2 in their weight class in every 'Way too early prediction' that I have seen. But still. weird things can happen. (Adam Coon was ranked #1 in the country prior to the BIG10 tourney, and he was fortuante to get 9th in the BIG 10's).

However, since Logan is a 3-time champ, I think his odds at AA is pretty good, And, Hunter is a 2-time AA, and seventh at the US OPEN freestyle, I think he has a fair chance. Kyle Snyder is the World Junior Champ and has trained freestyle with Dustin Kilgore for the last year, and I really like his chances. As for Bo Jordan, he probably has the most to prove, but we will start by seeing how he does at the freestyle tounament this weekend.

GO BUCKS!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 1, 2014

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"I recently saw on Twitter Dieringer said he might go 184. I know it’s a long time from now but it sounds like he is putting on some major muscle. If that is the case I think it increases Bo chances of winning."

I saw that as well but couldn't tell if he was serious or just posting to be silly. #NoSarcasmHashtag #RookieMistake

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 1, 2014

i think the MN team year 2000 was the only one that ever had 10 AAs, NO champs but they had 10 AAs in Iowa City and won JRob's first NCAA title there.

Ohio st only returns 2 AAs so this would be quite an incredible leap indeed. But as PatA says, "i'm a FAN", so he is aloud to dream.

bookemdano tells me Penn st will RS both Megaludis & Retherford next season so the door is open.

however one bit of advice PatA, heed Reba McIntire's words, "don't expect no favors come closin' time."

...s/BobP

Don Bork added to this discussion on May 1, 2014

Josh did beat St John in the home dual that the buckeyes won his redshirt freshman year. I believe it was St Johns first match back after being out with an injury for a period of time.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Ohio st only returns 2 AAs so this would be quite an incredible leap indeed. But as PatA says, "i'm a FAN", so he is aloud to dream.

...s/BobP"

Bob:
It may be a little bit of a stretch, but:
1) The two returning AA's. Hunter and Logan, have both been AA's every full year of elgibility.
2) Snyder, Jordan, and Tomesello are not normal freshmen. - But, time will tell.
3) Returning Round of 12 Guys: Tavenello, Courts, and Demas from two years ago. With attrition of past seniors, these guys are projected as AA's.
4) Johnni wrestled most of the year like an AA, but struggled a little at the end. Still, with all of the attrition in his class, he still projects as an AA from last year.
5) Mark Martin's past performance may be a bit of a reach to be AA, but I think that he has the athletic ability, and technical ability, if his helath holds out, and he gets a little bit of luck and growth along the way. He's a junior next year, his learning curve should be slowing down soon!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 2, 2014

PatA, you make good cases for each.

..s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next