Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU Buckeyes 2014/2015
Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

Did we ever cast just punishment on Michael Rodriguez for his heresy, Mark?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

This one gets into it a bit... http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

No, Ben. Not yet. However, the "knee gods" were able to take him down over the last half year.

This is THEEEEEEE infamous thread that pretty much sparked everything. I didn't take the time to read all 16 pages (maybe less) but here it is no less... http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

#WaterUnderTheBridge by the way.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Here's a good start, Bob: http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439"

Mark, who woulda dreamt HE said it?! "Run--don't walk--to every Buckeye dual you can. Sponseller is a legend in the making."

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Mark, who woulda dreamt HE said it?! "Run--don't walk--to every Buckeye dual you can. Sponseller is a legend in the making.""

At the time, HEEEEE wasn't the only one saying it. Colt added a great deal of spark from his first time on the Buckeye mat. A true competitor, that's for sure.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

fun to see some old names, what happened to Maggie Lamantia??

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

"And we all remember the "Sponseller to 4x AA, 1, maybe 2x NC" talk, right!?!?!"

Comparing Snyder to Sponseller coming out of HS!?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

C.P., saw your early title picks on twitter. Who do you have at 197 and 285 if Cox bumps up and Miklus is at 197?

Quote from Christian Pyles's post:

"

"And we all remember the "Sponseller to 4x AA, 1, maybe 2x NC" talk, right!?!?!"

Comparing Snyder to Sponseller coming out of HS!?"

Negative. Comparing fan expectations.

And when certain #DotNet-ers did their best to inform us how difficult it is for freshmen to Aa at the D-I NCAA level, we pooh-poohed them as haters!!!!!

Please; no realism. Just 100%, pure, unfiltered allegiance to our wrestlers!!!

As I'm typing this I'm reminded of reasons pwoplesetimes give for why someone should earn AA status... Because he works so hard. As if no one else on the planet is working hard!!!!! Whatever, dude.

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on March 30, 2014

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"C.P., saw your early title picks on twitter. Who do you have at 197 and 285 if Cox bumps up and Miklus is at 197?"

IDK, probably Snyder, but I don't feel that good about it. I hope J'den stays 97 personally.

Gino Iacoboni added to this discussion on March 30, 2014

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Mark, who woulda dreamt HE said it?! "Run--don't walk--to every Buckeye dual you can. Sponseller is a legend in the making.""

At the time, HEEEEE wasn't the only one saying it. Colt added a great deal of spark from his first time on the Buckeye mat. A true competitor, that's for sure."

Last night me and my son were watching the 2006 Ohio State Finals, courtesy of Cable 9 and Jeff Cole, and watched the 152lb final between Josh Rohler and Colt. During the bout, Brakeman had stated the Colt was a true 145lber but wanted stiffer competition and went up a wieght to face Rohler, who had been ranked 1 or 2 in the country during the year. Colt completely wore him down. Got to that single leg at will.

Another interesting note during that match was they were talking how Rohler was one of the favorites the year before but was upset in the semis by a kid named Lance Emsh (sp?) They said Rohler wore a T-Shirt that said "You are not Lance Emsh" before the finals. Didn't work out the same as Brian Haring's similar T-Shirt he had back in the day.

Colt was a true competitor indeed.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 31, 2014

"No, Ben. Not yet. However, the "knee gods" were able to take him down over the last half year.

This is THEEEEEEE infamous thread that pretty much sparked everything. I didn't take the time to read all 16 pages (maybe less) but here it is no less... http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

#WaterUnderTheBridge by the way."

That's an interesting read, for sure.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 11, 2014

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"Well, based on this fantastic national tournament and what we have seen this season out of the returning wrestlers and the wrestlers on RS, what are our current realistic thoughts on next season?

125: Tomasello - We don't have an apples to apples comparison with he and the top 4. Right now, based on what we saw this weekend and not having those comparison until he hits the B1G season, I have him at #4 coming into the season. I won't change that higher until I see him knock off Megaludis or Delgado. I think it's fair.

133: DiJulius: He caught the ENTIRE class off-guard with his style early this season. Unfortunately after his win at CKLV, the upper level guys were able to make adjustments and thwart his style. Now, a lot of those guys are graduating. t will be interesting to see what adjustment is made to his style over the Summer. What I love about Johnni is that he does have the right training attitude and he wants to be a champion and understands what wishing to be a champion won't get him there. So, I believe adjustments will be made and I believe he will be futher successful. But, as I said after CKLV, the onus is on Johnni to get consistent wins over top level guys during the B1G season. That onus is still on his shoulders. I am willing to say there is no excuse at all for him not to be a low AA at a minimum next season, but again, the onus is on his performance to prove he can hit the stars.

141: L Stieber - Logan is getting something in Zain Retherford that he desperately needs to keep his head in the game to win a 4th title…a legitimate threat. Retherford is what he needs and what he got. I don't think Logan will beat him 10-1 like he did Carter at any point. I believe Zain is that good and I believe Zain has an similar attitude and the right coaching and environment to continue to improve as Logan has. Look, it's a great thing for Logan and a great thing for USA wrestling. Let's root for Retherford to be the best he can be…it's good for our sport.

Right now we don't know if Carter will be back at 141. I suspect he will be and if he can stay healthy and train an entire season, he is more of a credible threat than he was last night. Carter is so talented and gutsy that he returns out of nowhere from a significant injury with less than optimal training due to that injury and wins the conference tournament and makes it to the NCAA finals. A healthy Carter is a big strong kid with good skills and again, he has the right attitude (not sure that he has the complete training advantages Logan and Zain have). Nonetheless, Logna, Zain, & Devan are your top 3 and it's probable a much better competative group than we want to give credit to. Logan is such a complete champion, he will win his 4th title and I think that last match will be closer than his match last night whether he wrestles Retherford or Carter.

149: Hunter Stieber - I'm comfortable placing him at #2 coming into the season. I'm assuming Tsirtsis will stay at 149 and we have known since HS that this kid is the real deal. I credit Tsirtsis a lot for overcoming his early season stumbles and being fantastic the past several weeks. I believe Hunter can open up offensively with Tsirtsis. The question is, what happens when they get on the mat? The onus is on Hunter's shoulders to take the number 1 spot from Tsirtsis. I think he can, but I'm keeping him at #2 until he gets that win along the way. Of course I want to say he will win the title, but let him show he can beat Tsirtsis 1st and then move him to #1.

157: Frankly, we really don't know whom we have here so what can be said? I'll let you all comment on this one. Demas? Low AA? The Mongoose? Low AA? So many questions….

165: Bo Jordan - During the 157 match last night there was mention that Dieringer is likely to move up to 165 next season. Assuming that, I have to put BoJo at #2. There is at least 1 round of 12 guy BoJo dispatched with relative ease this season (LeBlanc). So, again, I think he has to start the season at #2 and the onus is on his shoulders as well to show he is #1. I'm not sure if there is a chance for him to meet Dieringer prior to NCAAs next year….but I hope there is. I suspect these 2 are far ahead of the rest of the class, but we need to see Bo's work during the B1G season to verify that. I am comfortable giving him that nod, but admittedly, I'm a homer and have a long history with his family. So I suspect I have some rose tint to my glasses here.

174: Martin - This comes down to 2 things. 1. Martin getting healthy and staying healthy. 2. Martin taking about a 2 day break here and not leaving Columbus until his 1st match next season. Right now, I would say he has low to mid AA potential but he has to get healthy and he has to get consistent.

184: Courts - Kenny needs to be on the mat every day until the season starts with the RTC guys getting in shape….PERIOD. If he would just get his head right and train, adjust like a champion, and get in shape, there is no excuse for him not to be a HIGH AA. In fact I'll go so far as to say, if Kenny Courts doesn't become an NCAA champion it's because he flat out didn't want it. That is how gifted he is. He has no excuses….he just needs to do it. To date, history says he will not. So, realistically, he may be a low AA as is. Can he make himself better than"as is"?

197: Snyder - 2 man race! Cox and Synder in what will be a war for the next 3 seasons. Cox beat him 1-0, 1-0 the last time they tangled. Cox is a physical freak. What is not to like about him? So, how far has Snyder come in the last year? We have no real apples to apples comparison. Maybe he is so good now that he will make Cox look silly, but if that's the case…then Snyder will be an even better champion than our own Logan Stieber. Let's hope that's true, but we have to see that. So, once again, the onus is on Snyder to show us what he has. We know enough about him that I think it is safe to say Snyder is #2. Can't wait to see him on the mat.

285: Tavenello - Let's just put to bed any notion that Haines is going to be the starter here next year. Haines is good and may well prove to be better than Tav in the future, but not next year. This is Tav's weight. He is a gutsy round of 12 guy that peaked when it matter most. Tav needs to stay in Columbus this Summer and on the mat with Dlagnev and the crew. And he needs to hit the weight room even harder. While he may not become McClure, continued work on his conditioning and strength as an under-sized 285 is essential. Those are the keys to his confidence. That will open up the good skill set he has and let the adjustments he needs come to fruition. Tav is most certainly a low AA coming into the season. It's up to him where he goes from there. If you have not understood how much he has evolved through this season, you just don't understand his class or Tav himself. I'm not sure if he is ever a title contender, but he has more potential than many think. He just has to decide to keep pushing. He went 4-2 at the NCAAs, if that doesn't bolster your confidence in his potential…you're missing the boat ;-)

So, that leaves us with the following projected results for NCAAs 2015:

125: Tomasello #4
133: DiJulius: #6
141: L Stieber: #1
149: H. Stieber: #2
157: ???: NQ
165: B Jordan: #2
174: Martin: #6
184: Courts: #8
197: Snyder: #2
285: Tav: #7

That is a lot of points and will most certainly put them in contention for the title. Converting a couple of those #2 to #1 would go a long way to sealing the deal. And, all of this is with all things being equal, meaning a group that stays healthy. I whole bunch of unpredictable has to go right for these results to come to fruition. I guess the cool thing is knowing they have the talent to do this. It's up to them to prove it. I can't wait to watch it play out next season!"

I have seen multiple times that Cox is moving to 285. next year. Has anyone else those rumors?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 11, 2014

I have heard yes and no, both emphatically.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 11, 2014

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"I have heard yes and no, both emphatically."

well jolly so, i believe u r correct, Pat-- it is yes or no, no doubt about it, imo.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next