Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: Logie Putting Food on Gene Smith's Table
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Mark: *due"

Bah!!!

Freudian slip in honor of Pat Costilow.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

@BobP: you bring up excellent points. Ohio is lucky to have the IRONMAN in our own back yard.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

Mark, ohio lucky to have a handful of outstanding high sohool tourn, incl Brecksville, Medina, Top Gun, that one in Cinci i can never get right, the GMCA---. all outstanding. and a great state tourn.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 29, 2014

i'm just reading Mike Finn's editors notes in April 8 issue of WIN. He devotes his column to lack of Ohio newspaper media coverage at NCAA.

Finn says "What made it even sadder was no media representative from Ohio in the interview room that night" following Logan Stieber's 3rd NCAA title triumph. (Finn notes only a photog from the Cleveland suburb newspaper the Villager was there.)

no Columbus Dispatch?? admitedly the once-mighty Cleveland Plain Dealer is a shadow of its former self, reduced to 4 day home delivery, but no home town Dispatch presence?? the Dispatch could have hired a stringer for peanuts, i am curious did the Dispatch cover it at all?

Finn mentions the irony of the Gene Smith 18k bonus geting all the notice.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 29, 2014

@BobP: as small as it is, this lack of coverage (and it's MUCH worse for high school wrestling) is what spawned my meager efforts dubbed "Inside The Circle".

Personally, I think it's a growing trend among mass-media newspapers. Why devote time and effort to it when the people who are looking to read about it are a) a very small percentage of overall viewership/subscribers and b) those types of people will search out bloggers to get their need.

i get your points Mark, but nevertheless the Dispatch is the Journal of Record for central ohio-- sad as those words are.

and how many national champs did ohio state university have this school year, team & indiv?? --- extremely few im sure. Maybe 4 or 5 in all 37 or so sports?

(Gene Smith knows, how many 18K checks did he receive?)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 29, 2014

Cleveland.com did a very nice job of covering high school wrestling this season. Lots of articles (written by stringers/freelancers) plus interviews. Too bad no one seems to read it.

Wrestling fans remain their own worst enemy. We need to find a way to galvanize them the way that people are motivated about their guns or crazy political points of view.

Hank, i see your point----

however i think Finn was refering to his disbelief that no media from Ohio was at the NCAA to interview Stieber on his crowning achievment right after it happened.

...Finn being from Iowa probably doesnt understand the media in states with Major League Sports.

...Truth is states with Major League Sports lag in college amateur wrestling interest. The pros drown everything else out. In Cleveland all I hear about from the media, ad nauseum, are our losers Browns, Indians and Cavaliers.

...Amateur college sports and wrestling get much better support in states with little or no Major League Sports, e.g. Iowa has none, Nebraska has none and Oklahoma has only the NBA Thunder.

...another factor, Title IX gutted Ohio college wrestling programs, and mnay fans took it hard. I know we lost a generation of college fans from these cuts.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5