Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: D-I NCAA Coaching changes
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 27, 2014

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Christian Pyles's post:

"WVU has their eye on that short guy that coaches Freestyle in Cbus anyways?"

Brian Nicola?"

Ha!!!!!! Solid contribution right there!!! 4pt takedown.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 27, 2014

If the Bucks do lose Big Lou, I hope they get Zadick or someone else who can bring a little intensity and attitude on bottom. The one area the team as a whole seems to struggle with.

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"If the Bucks do lose Big Lou, I hope they get Zadick or someone else who can bring a little intensity and attitude on bottom. The one area the team as a whole seems to struggle with."

But I don't wanna lose Sweet Lou!!!!!!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 27, 2014

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"If the Bucks do lose Big Lou, I hope they GET ZADICK or someone else who can bring a little intensity and attitude on bottom. The one area the team as a whole seems to struggle with."

JLJ, i see u been listening to bookemdano.

(but make up your minds, is he Sweet Lou or Big Lou?)

"Sweet" Lou = Lou Rosselli

"BIG" Lou = Lou Demas, that lovable, huggable ball of joy!

and let's not forget Cleveland St, they need HEEEEEEEEELP !!

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on April 27, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"and let's not forget Cleveland St, they need HEEEEEEEEELP !!"

Cleveland State is doing just fine. Coach Stehura is a fantastic coach, and the program is heading in the right direction under his lead. Just last weekend we had a freshman take 3rd at FILA Juniors. And another one of our wrestlers had a win on the senior level (also lost to 4x All American Sanders after being up 4-0 after the first period).

Want to know why CSU has trouble recruiting even though we are in the heart of high school wrestling country? It's because we have such a negative reputation. Your constant complaining only feeds this perception. If you are truly a fan as you claim to be, how about using your many networks and contacts to promote CSU and encourage talented, hard-working wrestlers to give us a look?

Food for thought. Btw, Coach Stehura has an open door policy. If you think the program should be run differently, come on by to his office in the sub-basement of the PE building and talk to him about it.

whooooaaa, your way off base -- CSU is rarely mentioned on this forum. And i was going down to Woodling gym to watch matches many years before you were born so i'm entitled to an opinion.

i think CSU should be doing better. No NCAA quals this year and none most years isn't good enough, imo. Alot of other people agree with me but are afraid to voice their opinion using their name.

i've never applied to be a coach, i havent held myself out as a coach so its NOT my job to tell a coach how to do his job -- if your hired as a coach then your accountable, a coach knows that when he takes the job. As Bill Parcell said, "You are what your record says you are."

this is not personal, no one said otherwise.

however we want to KEEP our Div I program at CSU. If thats wrong for me to express those sentiments then i'm wrong. ...s/BobP

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on April 27, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"meanwhile whats Cleveland St doing ????????????"

You posted this similar comment two days ago, Bob. And when you didn't get a response, you posted it again.

I understand your frustration (and Hanks....we had this same talk about a month ago on this forum). I really do. I know you are all long time fans. I know you experienced CSU during its glory years. Results are important. I want us to be more successful also! But, since I have had the luxury of having actually experienced the current program and the coaches, I will always take offense to someone from the outside looking in making judgments about it.

Interesting side note: CSU probably has the safest wrestling program in the country. Schools must have at least 12 athletic teams to be eligible for D1 status. CSU has 14....but two of them are men's and women's fencing (which has no scholarships and "competes" on a club schedule). If they eliminated wrestling, they would run the risk of endangering their precious basketball program. Wrestling was almost dropped after my freshman year, but baseball was dropped instead.

ok Brandon, i briefly mentioned it twice in recent days, so crucify me. CSU is rarely mentioned, but if i didnt care i wouldnt mention it at all would i??? And if the record was good it would be often mentioned.

as you are a team member i understand & respect your loyalties and commitment-- i would think the same way in your position. i respect every member of your team for their work they put in.

however the Clevelend area is wrestling country and results should be better. No matter how good a guy anyone might or might not be, personalities aside, the record is not good enough, imo.

if that is how it must be then i'll take the beating for what many others are thinking but not posting. ...s/BobP

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on April 27, 2014

Spot on Bob. "The truth hurts."

Watch what John Stutzman does at Buffalo in the next few years. They have the same issues that you see CSU having, Brandon. Things will get turned around at Buffalo, as I hope they do in CSU.

My point, I guess, is that the right person can turn difficult situations into winning ones. Maybe I'm a bit idyllic in that regard, but I believe it.

CSU has some challenges, but there's plenty going for it, as well.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 27, 2014

Hofstra University used to have a terrible wrestling program that suffered from a poor reputation and underfunding. Then a young guy named Tom Ryan came in and lit the place on fire. Within a couple years, they were wrestling better, fund raising efforts were in place, and, most importantly, he was selling recruits on his vision. He got terrific high school prospects to buy in. By the time he left, Hofstra was a national power.

Kevin Dresser walked into Virginia Tech about seven years ago and inherited a ghastly mess thanks to Tom Brands sudden departure. He rebuilt the Hokies and now has one of the top programs in the country.

Three years ago, Doug Schwab took over a downtrodden N. Iowa squad. He has done a phenomenal job of coaching up every kid that walks in that room and has made run of the mill recruits into AA's.

Ben Stehura inherited a mess at Cleveland State. Six years later, they've had three national qualifiers and one or two conference wins. Plain and simple--that's not good enough. Not close.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on April 28, 2014

I have a feeling this coming season is the final opportunity for Stehura to stay as head coach. He was allowed to redshirt Williford and bring in Dan Mitcheff (3rd place at the US Open) to help train the light weights. I also remember coach Stehura talking about starting a CSU freestyle training center.
It seems the college has given him this final chance to get an All-American. It's the best chance he's had since he's been in charge. Also, there's only one senior graduating, so the team should be somewhat improved over last season.
If there is no MAJOR improvement in 2014/15, then CSU should really try to get J. Jaggers to be the new head coach. Someone from Northeast Ohio. Maybe Andy Hrovat? Especially if they are serious about the freestyle training.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 28, 2014

"If there is no MAJOR improvement in 2014/15, then CSU should really try to get J. Jaggers to be the new head coach."

Would he want the job?

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on April 28, 2014

Probably not, but I'm hoping there's someone from the Cleveland area with coaching experience, like Hrovat or Jaggers who wants to help turn around a downtrodden wrestling program. I've been to Woodling Gym several times usually to be disappointed.

Hope springs eternal.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next