Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: D-I NCAA Coaching changes
William Danforth added to this discussion on May 2, 2014

The NJ great, Donny Pritzlaff will be the Asociate Head Coach under Scott Goodale for Rutgers next season.

http://www.scarletknights.com/wrestling/news/release.asp?prID=14868#.U2PMN8JOX3h

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-1115738433439265712/wrestling-donny-pritzlaff-hired-as-rutgers-associate-head-coach/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 2, 2014

Pritzlaff did a great job at Wisconsin then helped preside over a turnaround at Michigan. Now he's heading back to NJ to basically head up a program that's entering the Big Ten. Smart move for Rutgers. I can easily see him taking over in a few years.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on May 6, 2014

It was just announced that Bruce Burnett returned from retirement to coach the US Freestyle team after Zeke's resignation to take the ASU job.

This should end a lot of speculation of who they might hire, and if OSU was in danger of losing Lou to the Team USA head coaching job.

http://news.theopenmat.com/2014/05/bruce-burnett-returns-as-national-freestyle-coach-to-serve-through-2016-olympics-in-rio-de-janeiro-brazil/

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on May 6, 2014

Anyone else surprised at how long it is taking WVU and Purdue to fill their positions?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 6, 2014

Looks to me like Bruce Burnett was brought in to oversee things while USA wrestling waits for who they really want. Also looks to me like they didn't want to hire Brandon Slay. Just me offering speculation.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 6, 2014

Burnett not a temp, has always been held in HIGH esteem by USAWR, hes the guy they want imo.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Bruce Burnett of Dover, Idaho has been hired to return to USA Wrestling as its National Freestyle Coach, and lead the men's freestyle program through the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.

Burnett resigned after 13 years as head coach at the Naval Academy this year.

Burnett served as the National Freestyle Coach for USA Wrestling for two Olympic cycles, from 1993-2000, which are considered among the most successful for the United States in history. During his eight years leading the program, the United States won the World Team titles in men's freestyle in both 1993 in Toronto, Canada and 1995 in Atlanta, Ga., the only two times in history. In addition, the United States won the medal count in men's freestyle at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, Ga.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on May 7, 2014

From Les Gutches' perspective, Bruce is a short term solution... http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251592-Beat-the-Streets-2014/video/745011-Les-Gutches-on-Bruce-Burnett-being-named-Olympic-coach#.U2oaTjl91G4

They're also very close to hiring our Greco coach too.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on May 7, 2014

However, to Bob's point, Burnett is a stud. I really liked Zeke as our coach because he was a man with a plan. With the momentum of America's program right now, I feared that we might lose that, but Burnett was our coach during one of America's most successful runs at the world level.

From what I hear, he is a master strategist and I think USA will be just fine until his successor is groomed.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 7, 2014

Quote from Mike Hojnacki's post:

"However, to Bob's point, Burnett is a stud. I really liked Zeke as our coach because he was a man with a plan. With the momentum of America's program right now, I feared that we might lose that, but Burnett was our coach during one of America's most successful runs at the world level.

From what I hear, he is a master strategist and I think USA will be just fine until his successor is groomed."

Agree. And just to speculate, imagine Rosselli is the guy they wanted. It's possible he told them he'd love to do it but doesn't want to leave OSU with Logan going for four and the team in the hunt for a title. Bad timing. Perhaps Burnett, who's clearly a fine coach, is filling in until Lou (or someone in a similar situation...perhaps even Cael Sanderson) is more ready to make a move.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 7, 2014

in 2 years the list of coaching possibles will look different, some new guys will have emerged, others now prominent may drop from the picture.

Burnett is the surest thing right now, USAWR is lucky a man of his caliber is available-- an older savvy veteran with proven record of success. Thats money in the bank. (keep in mind USAWR prior to Zeke had gone thru a number of National Freestyle Coach's who did not have much success.)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 19, 2014

Most likely gonna hear an announcement made today concerning The Bull and WVU. Be ready.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 19, 2014

Which leaves Purdue still wide open.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Which leaves Purdue still wide open."

Not necessarily "wide" open. Morgan assures me he's getting close. Unfortunately, I don't like one of his candidates. He, on the other hand, LOVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! him.

We'll see.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on May 19, 2014

Morgan?? AD at Purdue? Come on cruiser we all know sweet Lou but who else?

Morgan Burke, yes. I call him Morgan. We're col like that.

The other candidate??? Can't. Breach of trust. I'll let you know after he gives me the ok.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next