Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: D-I NCAA Coaching changes
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 28, 2014

I just read that WVU did not renew Coach Turnbull's contract.

Is WVU someplace a new coach could spark a fire? Who do you think takes it...someone's assistant? A program's volunteer coach? A D-II/D-III guy? Someone completely off the map?

EDIT: Oh, and who's next??? #Dominos

ps: I'll dust off my résumé.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 28, 2014

That place should be a powerhouse. Sits in a great spot where it can both PA and OH guys.

The place I think a change is needed most is Michigan State. That program is just horrible. I think if Minkel is gone they could actually do something at the school instead of be in last place.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 28, 2014

I had MSU on my mind. I was also thinking Indiana, maybe? Purdue can't be far behind.

It just seems that the top half of the B1Gs is stacked. Perhaps there is a mid-grade.

As far as consistency goes, and looking a bit into the future...

Tops (~consistently Top 10): PSU, MINN, tOSU, & Iowa

Mids (ebbs & flows w/Top 10): WISC, ILL, NEB, UofM & NW

Bottoms (eek!): MSU, Indiana, & Purdue.

And for the first few years, unless something out-of-this-world occurs, Rutgers & Maryland could possibly help those in the Bottoms as far as wins go.

Ransick: I thought Josh Lowe tweeted something about MSU being 4-46 in 5 dual meets. Yikes!!!!!!!

Dan Strope added to this discussion on March 28, 2014

WVU has under performed for years. When Zeke Jones was an assistant there, they were definitely on the upswing. However, once he left for Penn it became the same old WVU.

There are too many outstanding young coaching candidates to tolerate the long term dismal track records at places like WVU, Indiana, and Michigan State.

A few young gun candidates off the top of my head - Damon Hahn, Luke Becker, Casey Cunningham, Sean Bormet, Donny Pritzlaff, Carey Kolat (grew up near Morgantown), Josh Moore and Brandon Eggum. I won't even mention Sammie Henson's resume and how ridiculous it is that he is not a head coach somewhere.

Look at the turn around and energy Doug Schwab injected into the Northern Iowa program in only one year. How guys like Turnbull, Minkel and Goldman have kept their jobs for as long as they have is mind boggling to me.

I will say since Minkel and Goldman seem untouchable the next domino could be Kevin Jackson at Iowa State. Once storied program seems almost irrelevant.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 28, 2014

Kevin Jackson has had six AA's in the last two years. He's not going to make Iowa State the dominant power they once were but who is? Cael's gone and that program will never be the same.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 28, 2014

Question: what is better, to be the head coach of a mid-level program or an assistant at a top program?

Ok. State, Iowa, Minnesota, etc all have people who are capable candidates. But you have to be adventurous to stake out on your own.

Tougher to recruit
Less attention from ADs, SIDs, etc
Less revenue from camps, etc

Look at Esposito at Ok State - would it be a good move for him to apply at WVU?

Interesting stuff.

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on March 28, 2014

Kolat would be a fantastic fit for WVU. Like mentioned before he grew up 20 minutes outside of Morgantown. Look at what his presence has done for UNC. He is a legend in PA and would get instant recruiting success from that alone. Also don't forget Greg Jones is on staff at WVU and it could be tough for them to overlook one of their own. Josh Moore is another great fit with his proven success of recruiting PA. After reading the list posted earlier of young assistants available it is time for change with these struggling programs and time for some new blood running the rooms. Especially those in the B1G. A struggling program is a perfect excuse for the program to be extinct.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 28, 2014

Kolat to WVU is a great call.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

Their facilities are TOP NOTCH too... http://www.flowrestling.org/video/277529-WVU-Wrestling-Facility-Tour#.Uzan4zl91G4

You get the right person in there, with the right staff and there is definitely opportunity for success.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Kevin Jackson has had six AA's in the last two years. He's not going to make Iowa State the dominant power they once were but who is? Cael's gone and that program will never be the same."

True, but the fan expectations are still there and Northern Iowa's improvement could be trouble for Jackson. With Iowa State's storied history how long will they be content as the 3rd best team in Iowa?

John Ice added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

As long as they all stay away from Lou!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

will new coach be Rosselli ?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

I have no idea what Rosselli's general motives/ambitions are, but I think he has a very good thing going in Columbus that would be very difficult to replicate somewhere else. If he's not hell-bent on being a college head coach, he has a pretty sweet gig IMO.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

yes he has, Ben, however many coaches yearn to be the guy who runs the show. Depends on how much WVa wants to restore the program, how sweet the offer.

but i would think 3X NCAA champ, alumni and asst coach Jones tough to move aside if he wants it.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 29, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"yes he has, Ben, however many coaches yearn to be the guy who runs the show. Depends on how much WVa wants to restore the program, how sweet the offer.

but i would think 3X NCAA champ, alumni and asst coach Jones tough to move aside if he wants it."

And who makes that decision? The AD! And here we are at full circle as to why a strong commitment to a wrestling program, starting from the top (the AD) and working it's way down.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next