Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Hodge Winner Announced!
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 1, 2014

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/25986-David-Taylor-Wins-Hodge-Trophy#.UztErfldVyU

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 2, 2014

No shock here. Only realistic person who could win. I would like to know who decided to vote him 4th here. Is this an Iowa State alum who still has an axe to grind?

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 2, 2014

If Logan wins his 4th title next year it will be an interesting discussion who had had the better college career. On the one hand D.T. is a 4x finalist, 2x champ, 2x Hodge winner, and member of 4x team national champs. On the other hand Logan would be only the 4th 4x champ in history and most likely a1x Hodge winner. Whether he will be a part of a national championship tram is yet to be seen but both provide interesting points to discuss when evaluating "better."

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on April 2, 2014

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"If Logan wins his 4th title next year it will be an interesting discussion who had had the better college career. On the one hand D.T. is a 4x finalist, 2x champ, 2x Hodge winner, and member of 4x team national champs. On the other hand Logan would be only the 4th 4x champ in history and most likely a1x Hodge winner. Whether he will be a part of a national championship tram is yet to be seen but both provide interesting points to discuss when evaluating "better.""

I don't see how D.T. being on 4 National Title Teams makes any argument for him being better? Logan has been a 3x finalist and a 3x titlist. D.T. was a 4x finalist and only won 2. Logan has already been more successful at the senior international level than D.T.. I think you would already be hard pressed to find that D.T. had a better collegiate career than Logan. D.T. did not have the chance to avenge his loss to Bubba. He wrestled Dake 3 times last year and lost (collegiately, w 1 expo). Logan has avenged both of his losses to both wrestlers multiple times now. I suspect D.T. is ahead in team points scored, as he has been the most thrilling bonus point scoring machine in NCAA D1 Hx. So, across the board....Logan wins hands-down.

Steve Durose added to this discussion on April 2, 2014

LOL at Ramos getting votes.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 2, 2014

You will always have that person who will say "Well Taylor won 2 Hodge trophies" when Logan's presumed 4 titles are mentioned.
If I were asked I'd vote Logan but I'd also kill to have had either of their college careers.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

I remember when both were still in high school and discussions were abuzz about where they would go. Many knew that David favored Iowa State seeing as Cael was there, but there was that hope he'd stay in-state and help build a juggernaut at Ohio State especially with Ohio State being favored to win out on Logan and the rest of the Monroeville 4 (of course Chris going to NC State). Either way, I believe the most dominant wrestler won this year. In the end, Ohio wrestling will be able to claim ties to 3 out of the last 4 Hodge trophies next year.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"You will always have that person who will say "Well Taylor won 2 Hodge trophies" when Logan's presumed 4 titles are mentioned. "

imo, very few will recall in future years who won the Hodge, whereas 4 titles is etched in HISTORY, if achieved.

however i must say in sports there is no such thing as presumption of history or immortality i.e. in this case "presumed 4 titles".

(examples: many "presumed" Tiger Woods would no doubt exceed Jack Nicklaus in # of majors won -- many "presumed" Dan Gable would win his last match and be undefeated for his college career-- many "presumed" Woody's best team 1969 ohio state would beat Michigan and be undefeated No 1 again-- as we know the list goes on & on.)

► Add to the Discussion