Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Early 2015 Preview
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 2, 2014

Saw this posted on another site. Pretty favorable towards the Bucks, with 4 projected finalists. Would say that puts them squarely in the national title hunt.

Clearly a site that would show no bias to the Buckeyes either.

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/wrestling/2014/4/2/5551670/waaaay-too-early-2015-NCAA-wrestling-rankings-and-predictions

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

If you have 4 finalists you're going to be in the hunt like we saw this year. I think people outside of Ohio are sleeping on Tomasello. Especially if Megaludis does take a redshirt I don't see why he couldn't be top 4 next year especially after the tournament Dance had. I think that Demas if fully healthy will be very tough and should grab an AA finally after being so close.

It maybe pushing it but on paper every Buckeye realistically could be an AA. Obviously everyone has to peak and perform but it could happen.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"If you have 4 finalists you're going to be in the hunt like we saw this year. "

Especially since one of them is a bonus point MACHINE in Logan and the other 3 potentials could likely win a few early matches with bonus as well.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

i sure hope it comes true, but i know historically on this forum early glorious reviews have often turned to eventual disappoinment.

as 11 X state champion St Ignatius football coach Chuck Kyle says, "big expectations can be big burdens".

JRob, Brands and Cael have won it before, we aint. i remain hopeful but not counting any chickens.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

I love that they predicted Telford to win. I have always liked him, but I don't see any logical reason to think he will place above McMullan or Gwiz. Coon probably makes the leap past him, too.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

I have copied, and partially edited a response from the blog section of this article by Tim Wade (who is one of the 'co-contributors' on the article.) It is interesting to see how a 'non-buckeye' analyzes next years OSU team. (These are actually Iowa fans.)

I may have gone a little crazy with the Buckeyes (in particular their super-freshman, BoJo and Snyder), but while I don’t think Jordan is the next Taylor, but with the way 165 clears out, I could definitely see him in the finals. Jordan has more than proven he can be competitive at the college level. And Snyder is on a whole other level and spent this past season training at the OTC. Plus I always like to pick at least one freshman finalist as we’ve seen a pretty good run of it over the past couple years:

Ohio State scares me. If they can put 4 in the finals, that would garner a lot of points (at 16 advancement/placement points for a 2nd place finisher, you’re looking at 64 points minimum from those 4 guys). I’m not sure how the rest of their lineup will shake out:

125 Tomasello – nice freshman season wrestling unattached, I’m assuming Roberts redshirts. (He is not picked in their top 8, but is mentioned as a 'Top New Face'.)
133 Dijulius – Started off the year well (beat Colon, was up to #6 in the rankings) before fading late. 9th seed at NCAAs, went 2-2. (Picked to be 7th at the beginning of next years rankings.)
141 Logan will be ranked #1, picked here to be a finalist next year vs. Port.
149 Hunter is picked 2nd at the beginning of the year, and picked to be a finalist vs. Houdashelt.
157 Demas – what’s his story? He’s an explosive wrestler and has given DSJ fits, but it sounds like he had injury issues this past season. (Not mentioned in the picks, nor is Micah even considered a possibility.)
174 Martin – #14 seed, went 1-2 at NCAAs. (Not mentioned as consideration for top 8.)
184 Courts – #10 seed, lost in Round of 12. - (Picked to be 6th at the beginning of next year.)
197 Snyder is picked 7th at the beginning of the year, and picked to be a finalist vs. Cox.
285 Tavanello – after a pretty terrible regular season, came on strong in March, upset Coon at Big 10s, lost in Round of 12.(Picked to be 7th at the beginning of next year.)

If the Bucks can get marked improvement from some of these guys, look out.

by twade70 on Apr 2, 2014 | 3:40 PM

Personally, I think that is a pretty positive evaluation of the Bucks, coming from a Hawkeye fan!

I think that the three Bucks not mentioned, Tomasello, Martin, and Demas, all have at least 50% shot at AA next year.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

Roberts has already redshirted so that option is no longer there.

Demas if healthy is the 157. Micah mentioned after the state finals he would be at 149 next year and redshirting. He would like to get to 157 to get in the lineup. Give him his redshirt year to wrestle live at the collegiate level and get up to a full 157.

I think what separates next year from the past is the complete lineup from top to bottom. You have the best wrestler from the class of 2013 and 2014 coming into the lineup next year. Next year unlike year's past this team seems hell bent on winning the NCAA title. I know it was mentioned in the past but now there seems to be a real emphasis on it.

I have never seen an update on Josh Demas' medical condition. Is he fully rehabbed from surgery and back to competitive shape?

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

I know Jordan said he was wrestling live with Demas towards the end of the year so that indicates he is healthy and working.

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"I know Jordan said he was wrestling live with Demas towards the end of the year so that indicates he is healthy and working."

GOOD!!!!!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

It was an interview on flo after practice. He specifically said something about Demas' quickness.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

I would love for everything list above to happen but let's be honest about something. Achieving AA status is a HUGE deal. To throw it around so cavalier; that we are just going to have 10 guys in the hunt for AA seems to me a little foolish.

125- I like what Nathan brings to the table, but let's see what he does in BIG10 competition 1st it will be the true test
133-Johnny D has shown he can beat tome top tier guys, but can he do it consistently? Does he need to add to his style?
141-Logan enough said
149-Hunter has shown he can do it and should be in the finals
157- Demas is a huge talent, but has he shown he can beat the top level guys consistently?
165-Jordan clearly looks poised to make a run but again let's see him wrestle consistently against top level competition before we crown him the next 4xer
174- Martin went 1-2, I want him to be in the hunt I just haven't seen the evidence that says its going to be next year
184- Courts one match away, at times looks like he could be wrestling Sat. night other times like he will be back in the round of 12
197-Snyder has shown he can compete with the best internationally and that is usually a good indicator of college success (junior world champ)
285 Tavenello- great NCAA's is that who he is or is he the guy who wrestled the regular season.

In the end I would love to be a fan of the 2015 NCAA championship team. That being said if anything there are more questions than answers about next years team. It is also the 1st year in a while without a clear front runner which is exciting.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

Johnni looks like he could use a bit more offense.

Martin has had knee problems. He just had surgery so hopefully he comes back strong.

Shawn: Just for perspective here. The post that I copied is not a biased OSU fan interpretation of next years team. - This was copied from the Iowa fan publication 'Blackheart Goldpants'.

And, that article suggests that OSU could be ranked top 8 at 7 of the 10 classes at the start of next year, and could very possibly have four finalists. Like all predictions, there are a lot of things that could negatively affect the outcome, but it is interesting to me that Iowa fans are predicting OSU success.

I don't think that I have ever accused any Iowa wrestling fans of having too inflated of an opinion 'in favor of' the OSU wrestling team.

The only fan comment that I added to that, was that I thought that between Nate T., Josh D., and Mark Martin that I thought that they all three had at least a 50% of being an AA next year, which I do believe. Obviously it all depends on being healthy, training hard, and a few fortunate tournament draws.

Mark Martin was injured most of this year and was still ranked top 15 most of the year. - I think that Nate T. has an excellent chance to be top 8, but we won't know for sure until we see him in competition against the top guys. - Josh was very competitive as 155 before his injury, I remember the one point matches he had two years ago with Welsh and St. John. I am hoping he is back to health and will make his mark this coming year. But, we will see!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 3, 2014

Next season is wide open. The type of team the Bucks hope to have is similar to Okie State from this year. The difference is that next year there's no Ruth and Taylor to score huge points on their way to titles.

Bucks show a lot of promise but Preusse and Shawn Andrews both have fair assessments.

PSU will have a possible AA at each weight and the motivation that comes from no longer being considered the favorite. Iowa wants to get back on top and will have a very good lineup. Cornell also has a young/talented lineup featuring two potential finalists at least in Garrett and Dean.

Bucks have a great team potentially. Can they put it together?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next