Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: NCAA D1 - Funding by the numbers
Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on April 6, 2014

I would think a more accurate picture of program funding would be to look at a 3 and 5 year average. It's possible that Iowa State tops the list this year because the university made updates to their facilities or some other large expense.

I'm no accountant, but if I know that shifting expenses from one business unit to another, and or amortizing large capital expenses over a number of years can sometimes be beneficial.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 6, 2014

Governmental entities wouldn't use off balance sheet financing, though. Governments use straight-line depreciation, so the type of cost benefit that you are talking about is kind of irrelevant. Also, governments have a lot of discretion in whether or not they depreciate fixed assets at all. They typically expense all capital investments such as repair, update and maintinence. Normal businesses would capitalize and depreciate these, but government entities expense them in that year. I'm not an expert on government accounting, but that's my once over. Based on their treatment of fixed assets, I agree that an average would be more telling.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 6, 2014

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"Governmental entities wouldn't use off balance sheet financing, though. Governments use straight-line depreciation, so the type of cost benefit that you are talking about is kind of irrelevant. Also, governments have a lot of discretion in whether or not they depreciate fixed assets at all. They typically expense all capital investments such as repair, update and maintinence. Normal businesses would capitalize and depreciate these, but government entities expense them in that year."

Pat,
i'm glad u brought the fascinating subject of cost accounting to ow.netters -- i have long thought something was needed to spice things up on here. i think youve discovered it (though the best i could do in the old days at ohio states Hagerty Hall was a C in this course). ...s/BobP

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 6, 2014

Haha, I do what I can, Bob.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 7, 2014

Straight-line depreciation what a concept. Sometimes for the fun of it I like to use the double-declining depreciation just to see the difference in value over the assets life.

Yes I'm an accountant too. So I got a chuckle out of that.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 7, 2014

Team MACRS ftw

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2