Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Related Quirks: 'Fess Up
Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on April 7, 2014

Quote from Freddy Carr's post:

"Anyone have dreams about it being match day and you aren't sure if you are on weight?

Even 20+ years later?"

HA...all of the time. Only it's me at my current age, wrestling against some HS kid. What's up with that?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 7, 2014

The one time I didn't make weight was the offseason so I had to go up and was way undersized. I got suplexed by the JR National Greco Champ and then had a nice ringer went home. Was supposed to wrestle the JR FS Champ and now former Olympian. Moral of the story make weight.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 7, 2014

"If ever I touch someone, it's grabbing their elbow - and then I wait to see how they react.

Whenever anyone grabs for me, I'll isually cut them off by getting wrist control - thumb down, palm out. "

Nice!

I downblock and crossblock as part of my mobility warm up.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 7, 2014

As soon as I get Sports Illustrated each Tuesday, I check "Faces In The Crowd" for wrestlers (then Ohioans).

Once per year I dream I have one year of eligibility left that was somehow missed and wonder what weight I can cut to as a 40 year old.

I end my morning workouts with neck bridges, which spooks out the older folks in our complex's workout room.

I can spot cauliflower ear in a huge crowd, from a great distance.

I'm orders of magnitude better at jumping rope than all my kids combined (and any adult male I know that was not a wrestler).

I instinctively know my weight within 2 lbs. at all a times, as well as how much my clothes, shoes, and keys impact my weight at the doctor's office.

Every time I see a "Cassano's Pizza", I immediately flashback to Saturday nights after tournaments (Pepperoni/Ham...with a Mountain Dew).

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 7, 2014

Justin Hayes: "Faces in the Crowd"!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!! I used to go Ohio first, then wrestlers. Forgive me, please.

I do know my weight, and if I ever visit the doctor, I always announce my weight prior to stepping in the scale...based on gut instinct. I'm usually right.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 8, 2014

My only one is that I don't let the nurse touch the scale when I'm weighing in. I must do it.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 8, 2014

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"My only one is that I don't let the nurse touch the scale when I'm weighing in. I must do it."

Just one? I think you are fibbing...

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 8, 2014

It is absolutely impossible for me to sip a glass of water. And I usually glance around the room, instinctively, before crushing it.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 8, 2014

Ten drinks at the fountain is a quarter pound.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 8, 2014

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"My only one is that I don't let the nurse touch the scale when I'm weighing in. I must do it."

Just one? I think you are fibbing..."

That's really the only quirk I can think of. I no longer dream about my own matches. All my mental wrestling energy is now focused on my team.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 8, 2014

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

""If ever I touch someone, it's grabbing their elbow - and then I wait to see how they react.

Whenever anyone grabs for me, I'll isually cut them off by getting wrist control - thumb down, palm out. "

Nice!

I downblock and crossblock as part of my mobility warm up."

Rex: Did you wrestle?

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

Not exactly what you guys are referring to but about 15 years ago, give or take, I was cleaning house and found my class ring. I slipped it on and forgot about it.
I was working the N Canton Hoover tournament that night and still had it on. During the event, Jim Houghtailing was coaching at Medina and asked if I ever heard of their event. Of course I said I had and he asked if I might be interested in working it. I assumed he meant at some point in the future but he meant the next week. Since then I have considered the ring as a "good luck" charm and I wear it on the mat. It is the only time I wear it at all.

Shaun Smith added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

I have 2. When someone puts their arm around me, I automatically underhook.

When my 9 yr old son hugs me, I have to stop myself from doubling overhooks, fighting for head position and hip separation.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

Whenever my boys approach me it involves a nice snap down for them. Just to teach them keep the head up.

I also find myself trying to hip toss them as well. Might as well get the best of them while I can.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

-I have 4 brothers, all of which wrestled. Many a family holidays simple hug as ended up in a match sometimes multiple matches.

-Of all of the things that are habit forming and stick with you after you are done competing the one that has gone away quickly is any interest in wearing a singlet.

-From the coaching size of things I think I should get a job at a carnival because I feel that I can pretty confidently guess a strangers weight within a couple pounds. Additionally I can estimate within a pound the weight of their clothes and shoes.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next