Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Another story
David Rourke added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

I have a story similar to Doug's Gable story while in St. Louis to watch the 2000 NCAA tourney. I went to the hotel gym for a morning run on a treadmill & a guy was doing intervals on one of the treadmills, all layered up in sweats with the hood up. I jumped on the adjacent treadmill & took off at slow warm up pace. During a slow leg of his interval workout the guy took the hood off & I glanced over & noticed it was Lincoln McIlravy. I asked him if he was in training or just staying fit. He said he was training for the trials, which at the time it didn't hit me as to what trials he was referring. He asked me the same & I mentioned that I was training to qualify for the Boston Marathon. He wished me good luck & I said to same to him. We both went on with our workouts. At that point in my training, my pace was 6:45-7, but on that run, all bets were off. I don't recall my pace, but it was faster while he was next to me & my planned 5 mi run ended up being 7. I saw him later at the breakfast buffet. My plate loaded with waffles, bacon & a western omelet & his with with fruit, eggs & oatmeal. We acknowledged each other as we passed.

If you recall, he went on to win the bronze in Sydney later that year! I’d like to think, in some small way, he was pushed a little harder on that March morning in the St. Louis Embassy Suites gym, while running next to me, that helped him accomplish his goal. But in hindsight, I obviously didn’t push him enough, as he didn’t win the gold. As it turned out, his motivation didn’t help me either as I failed to qualify for Boston that year…or any year since. That’s my story…

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on April 9, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"in 1964 i was on army maneuvers in the Mojave Desert California, went into a little diner on the edge of the desert. Sitting there in a booth was JIM BACKUS with another person.

now the name Jim Backus probably doesnt mean much to alot of young posters, but he was a great character actor-- and the cartoon voice of Mr Magoo as well. Backus played JAMES DEAN's feckless father in the classic 1950s Rebel Without a Cause.

well i went over an talked to him for 5 minutes, the diner was fairly empty, he didnt seem to mind. i think he was making a movie nearby. He was nice, he asked where i was from, he seemed like just a regular guy. ...s/BobP"

Bob, you might have caught Thurston Howell III at the beginning of the series Gilligan's Island.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 10, 2014

Variations on a theme...

Wrestling...working out at the old Severance Athletic Club in Cleveland Heights when I spotted one of the Banach twins. He was working for a bank and had business in Cleveland. We talked wrestling for a few minutes. Very nice guy.

As a child...my Uncle worked as educational director for the NBC affiliate in New York. I was four years old and he took my older brother and I to his office. In walks Frank Gifford. Gifford had recently retired from the NFL where he was a star running back during the 1960's. He had recently begun his career as a broadcaster (Gifford was one of the original Monday night Football announcers). My brother was out-of-his-mind excited while I became incredibly shy. Somewhere there's a pic with me, my brother and Frank Gifford. I'm the one who's looking down and trying to get away while my brother is beaming.

Through business, I've had the opportunity many times to talk with Michael Symon. Great guy. Interestingly, he told me that of all the professional athletes to come into his restaurants, the kindest and most appreciative was....Braylon Edwards. He said that Edwards was a generous tipper, well mannered and always appreciative towards all his staff members. He also mentioned that Edwards donated one million dollars to the Cleveland Public Schools. Edwards gets ripped in NE Ohio because he struggled as a receiver. But as a human being, he is a class act. Public perception, once negative, is almost impossible to overcome.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 10, 2014

of course Michael Symon wrestled at st Eds, he first worked in the kitchen of the Gepettos not far from my house in West Park Cleveland.

i got to know John Smith from my years at the Reno T of C, he is just that way-- very low key.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on April 10, 2014

David and Hank: Loved both stories!

Thanks for your posts!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2