Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: US Open
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 22, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFiVpFyoKOw

This was on Yappi and its a pretty cool video of A. Pico.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 22, 2014

So, who wins right now in freestyle between Logan Stieber and Aaron Pico?

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"So, who wins right now in freestyle between Logan Stieber and Aaron Pico?"

I was wondering the same thing. I know last year Stieber tweeted about getting a great workout in with Pico.

I think Logan has him in folk but freestyle is anyone's guess. Fortunately he's still growing. What an amazing stud.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 22, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"So, who wins right now in freestyle between Logan Stieber and Aaron Pico?"

Stieber.

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on April 22, 2014

The question is what can Logan do with a dedicated year of freestyle training under his belt. He has competed with, and beat the best in tight matches Reece, C. Scott etc. since high school while his primary focus has been on folkstyle. I have to believe once his run in college is over we will see an even more elevated freestyle game from Logan and he should be big enough to compete in that weight. I think 2016 will be the year he peaks and the timing couldnt be better!

Pico is fantastic, but in my opinion he doesnt beat logan at any level right now. I think Pico finishes between 5th thru 7th this past weekend at that weight.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 22, 2014

So everyone thinks Stieber would have blanked Rutherford 7-0 this weekend? I'm not saying Pico would win right now, but I think he may be being underestimated or perhaps a little Ohio bias. One thing I do think, is that the two will never meet. Pico will be a much larger wrestler by 2016. What was the quote from Jordan Burroughs? Something about him joking that he needs to win a few more medals before Pico comes on the scene. The kid is the truth.

Mr. Nutter: Agree. I think Logan's dedication to folkstyle has been to the detriment of his freestyle development. It's tough to want to be an Olympic Gold Medalist and a 4x NCAA champ. Of course it has been done by some guy named Sanderson...

M-Rod: I don't know who wins right now between Logan and Pico but I expect it would be highly competitive. That said--see Mr. Nutter's comments about Logan's lack of freestyle training vs Pico going at it full time.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 22, 2014

"So everyone thinks Stieber would have blanked Rutherford 7-0 this weekend?"

Who thinks that? I haven't seen anyone write that.

"I'm not saying Pico would win right now, but I think he may be being underestimated or perhaps a little Ohio bias."

If you are not willing to say that Pico would win, why object to two posters thinking that Stieber would win?

I getting tired of this Ohio bias crap (especially on other message boards).

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

""So everyone thinks Stieber would have blanked Rutherford 7-0 this weekend?"

Who thinks that? I haven't seen anyone write that.

"I'm not saying Pico would win right now, but I think he may be being underestimated or perhaps a little Ohio bias."

If you are not willing to say that Pico would win, why object to two posters thinking that Stieber would win?

I getting tired of this Ohio bias crap (especially on other message boards)."

I'm not sure its Ohio bias when saying a 3x national champ and a guy who has beaten some of the best guys in the world would beat a guy that should be a junior in HS.

Side bar I think Pico would have placed top 4 at the US open but let's not act like we are saying Joe Blow would Pico because he is from Ohio.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 22, 2014

I think Pico is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think he beats Retherford 7-0 again. Maybe he does! I'm not rushing to judgement on anyone. I mean, after all...it's high-level freestyle.

How did Marable end up at the US Open? (I honestly don't know the answer to this.)

Dlagnev defeats Bradley in CONVINCING fashion... Has he always? Will he from here on out???

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 22, 2014

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"So everyone thinks Stieber would have blanked Rutherford 7-0 this weekend?"

If scored by freestyle rules, what would the score have been in their NCAA finals match? And add in the fact that they wouldn't have spent nearly as much time on the mat. Stieber took Retherford down more easily than did Pico. Nonetheless, Pico is incredible.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 22, 2014

Michael:

I think Logan Stieber techs Zain Retherford in freestyle. Zain's only scoring in the Big Ten finals and the NCAA finals came off escapes and a late reversal. Neither of those happen in freestyle. Logan took Zain down without much difficulty a total of 4-5 times in those matches, and that was while getting RT in both.

I think Logan would have taken Zain down 3-5 times and probably gotten at least one exposure. A pushout or two is not out of the question either. I think somewhere between 7-0 and 10-0 would be likely.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 22, 2014

Who thinks that? I haven't seen anyone write that."

Well now. I officially stand corrected (after the fact).

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on April 23, 2014

"

Who thinks that? I haven't seen anyone write that."

Well now. I officially stand corrected (after the fact)."

If it's any consolation...Stieber didn't wrestle Retherford in the NCAA finals as a couple have said as well ;-) But I think we all know their intent.

Pico is still a boy. A big boy, but a boy. He was fantastic at the Juniors level because he is one. He is not ready to dominate the Senior level in this country or the world. He is not ready to beat Stieber. But, that's why we have these levels to help talent progress. As others have stated, Burroughs probably made the best comment/prediction about him. When he gets to the senior level, he will be a beast at that level. All good things in their own time for this young man. Can't wait to see him at that level.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next