Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: NCAA is looking to possibly change some rules...
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 15, 2014

Read all about it here: http://www.NCAA.com/news/wrestling/article/2014-04-15/committee-proposes-three-new-experimental-rules-pending-approval

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 15, 2014

Really like rules 1 & 2. Not sure about 3, need to think about it more.

Still think riding time should be like the 5th point for a tech, you only get it if you score from the top position.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on April 15, 2014

The new rules seem like real improvements.

Especially #2. Calling a stalemate when a wrestler drops to the ankle and holds on always seemed like nonsense. This should make double overtime much more exciting and decisive.

Rule change #1 is a clever way to institute the international push out rule, but gently. Hopefully, it will help keep the action on the mat and result in less time stoppage for walking back to the center.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 16, 2014

What is rule #3 offering? Is it a non-pointed escape??? What's the benefit - to get wrestling back to neutral where more action occurs??

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 16, 2014

Rule #3 is intriguing but problematic. So, you hit a clean double in the middle of the mat and get a TD. If you kick out your opponent, he's awarded a point. But if you score on the edge during a flurry and the action stops, you can choose to start in neutral? Well, this allows you to go for two more points without giving up an escape, but only if you score on the edge.

Why are we offering an advantage to the wrestler that scores on the edge? Why not instead get allow the official to break the action if neither wrestler can improve (top or bottom) and put the wrestlers back on their feet with no point awarded. Wouldn't this make more sense? And, of course, get rid of riding time. Riding time appeals to purists but it saps the action. That's how we ended up with dropping to the ankles and wrapping around the head, etc...(well the OT rules too).

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 16, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Rule #3 is intriguing but problematic. So, you hit a clean double in the middle of the mat and get a TD. If you kick out your opponent, he's awarded a point. But if you score on the edge during a flurry and the action stops, you can choose to start in neutral? Well, this allows you to go for two more points without giving up an escape, but only if you score on the edge.
"

Maybe I am not seeing it the way you are but I don't think it encourages scoring only at the edge. It might but it might not either. You could just as easily score in the center but the action migrates to the edge where the choice could be made.

I "think" I like the idea of going out of bounds as some sort of penalty (in order to encourage wrestling toward the center) but I am not sure stalling should be the call. Remember that, in college, the wrestling area is effectively increased by allowing wrestling to continue as long ANY part of either wrestler is in the cylinder. If this is the case (and assuming I understand what they are doing), there is no OOB's until both wrestlers leave the circle/cylinder. At least the way I am thinking, the wrestling would just continue. OTOH, maybe it would encourage both wrestlers to work back toward the center.
Time will tell.
BTW, if this is going to be tried, PLEASE don't start adding a list of exceptions to when it will be called. This leads to judgement calls which are not debatable.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 16, 2014

How many times have we seen a wrestler drive another out of bounds to prevent an escape? This is supposed to be stalling on the top guy, but is almost never called.

Maybe rule two would work to prevent that, since I assume any "count" would continue when the bottom man works up to standing on one leg. I also assume that a stalling "whistle" would not be considered a natural stoppage.

But let's say the top man does manage to push the bottom man, dancing on one leg, out of bounds before the 5 count is reached. Is he both dinged with stalling, for forcing action out of bounds, and rewarded with choice?

► Add to the Discussion