Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: World Team Trials - 2014
Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on June 2, 2014

Agreed^

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 2, 2014

When I think about all the ways I could stand to "expand my mind," women's wrestling is not near the top of the list. My fanship has waned a good bit in the last few years. This isn't because the sport has become less interesting; on the contrary, I think it's a more exciting time to be a fan now than a few years ago. It's just that other life interests and priorities have arisen. Women's wrestling is not likely to supplant anything that I currently give time to.

Myself aside, I stand by my statement that it sucks the energy out of the broadcasts. Flo has done a great job building their site and product. I think one of the things behind their success is that they show people the things they care about. You don't see their front page bogged down with a bunch of stuff about smaller division college stuff and women's wrestling because most wrestling fans don't care about that stuff.

What if Mr. Brisket chose to sell its corned beef only as a package deal with tofu? Maybe corned beef fans just need to expand their minds/palates. Jam it down their throats!

Last edited by Ben Golden on June 2, 2014; edited 1 time in total

I think that the point Hank is trying to make is that watching and "expanding" our minds towards women's wrestling is so important in the scheme of growing wrestling. Whether or not we believe it to be more "fun" or entertaining (of which, I think women's wrestling can be way more fun to match, sometimes), it is extremely vital that we at least try to learn and pay attention to women's wrestling as fans that care about the future of the sport.

I will disagree that forcing people to watch tons of something they aren't interested in is a good way to grow anything. Maybe I'm wrong. If you want to showcase one womens match in with the men's finals... fine. Maybe in time, interest in women's wrestling will grow and then mixing them will be a more viable idea. However, right now showing them every other match drastically dilutes an exciting product (senior level wrestling) that has gained fan interest largely due to good rules changes and Flo's strategy of highlighting and building on (and profiting off of) the exciting aspects of the sport.

At my level of fanship, the effect of having all the women's matches in there right now is that it makes me want to turn off the broadcast. That's a shame, because I really do want to watch the men's.

Another thought here... wrestling is truly becoming a marketable product with excitement. Fans are willing to pay a few hundred dollars a year for Flo, who continues to grow. That ~$200/fan-year is market growth for wrestling... I don't have numbers, but you have more and more companies giving senior level wrestlers endorsement dollars. The usual apparel companies, but also companies like Flips (no idea if they are going to make it long term but right now they are partnering with a good number of wrestlers).

You're not going to continue to build that momentum by boring fans to death with stuff they don't want to watch.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 2, 2014

I agree, Ben. The market will figure this out. If something's not working, the company will have to change. Or sink.

My basement is filled with boxes of a project I started about 9 years ago. It appears NOBODY thinks garlic-flavored gum is worth the $1.15 for 5 sticks of gum. What gives!?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 2, 2014

i won't knock womens wrestling in any way however of course Ben the Golden Man is 1000 percent correct.
A keen critical analysis by him, shows why he is an engineer.

In the world of entertainment-- which wrestling is-- u cannot successfully force feed people. You give people what they want, what they desire to see or you go out of business (and what they want to eat --Hank knows that).

on Saturday i visited Mr Brisket and had a reuben-- what if Hank had given me half a reuben, then for my health given me a half tofu sandwich. All at a full reuben price, telling me it would be good for me and i would grow to like it. i might return to swap stories again, but not for a reuben.

The American public votes with their dollars and their time and their attention. And doesnt like to be force fed. ..s/BobP

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 2, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I agree, Ben. The market will figure this out. If something's not working, the company will have to change. Or sink."

with USA Wrestlng thats not true, they are a Govt chartered agency, and as such political correctness and doing the biding of FILA chart their course.

they are Not a business that can fail, they are not guided by the consumer.

I meant Flo.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on June 2, 2014

I know I'm in the minority, but I like women's Fs. Not as much as the guy's side, but I would watch it over greco.

As more and more women start younger, like the guys, their skills set raises. Some of my favorites include Helen Maroulis, Alyssa Lampe and the little ass-kicker Victoria Anthony.

Years ago, I was blessed to coach a couple of really tough girls. It changed my view, but also allowed me to lower my guard a little when I watch. It's good. Different, maybe a little less horsepower, but still good sport.

JMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u6EvFZW98E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on June 2, 2014

I agree Brian.

@Brian, definitely agreed, and awesome video

As a side note, if you watch that video I posted, Terry Steiner's EAR IS ABSOLUTELY JACKED! He's still a beast, though.

Brian loves Helen Maroulis, Alyssa Lampe and Victoria Anthony. He sends me week let text messages concerning their training methods and strategies. He's even sent practice pictures. The pics are tough to make out due to ventilation system cover, but they're not bad.

Kudos to you, Brian, for scaling the outside wall, entering the OTC building a la Mission: Impossible and securing the pics. And thanks for taking my course.

#RestrainingOrdersSuck

You're something else, Niemann. I'm unphased/unfazed by your nonsense.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next