Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ed Ruth
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 3, 2014

Better than Dake, Taylor and Stieber? Or simply at an easier weight to make the team?

Same could be asked of Ramos although I'd argue all day that his success at WTT's has to do with his size at the weight.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 3, 2014

Ruth. I'm a bit surprised he beat Gavin. At the same time though, I'm not. Both are very good.

I'll be interested to see watch line-up changes occur come 2016.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on June 3, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Ruth. I'm a bit surprised he beat Gavin. At the same time though, I'm not. Both are very good.

I'll be interested to see watch line-up changes occur come 2016."

How can you be a "bit surprised" by the results? I was more surprised by Ramos. Ed Ruth is one of the finest wrestlers in the country. He just has the "It" factor that you can't teach.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on June 3, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Better than Dake, Taylor and Stieber? Or simply at an easier weight to make the team?

Same could be asked of Ramos although I'd argue all day that his success at WTT's has to do with his size at the weight."

I would say Ed Ruth is better than Taylor and Stieber today. As we know it could change in a few months. In my opinion its no such thing as a easy weight on the international level, maybe a lack of depth. As for Dake his been hurt, and we all know his track record (4/4). I can't wait for 2016 Olympic Trials!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 3, 2014

Chris: has the location for the Olympic trials been set???

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 3, 2014

I think Taylor is the best of those 3... but these things are obviously a bit subjective and futile to determine on paper. Unless the lighter wrestler jumps up a huge weight jump and consistently beats the guys above him, ya never really know. But that's what message boards are for.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 4, 2014

What about my comment that Ramos is perfect size for the weight class (meaning he's huge and the cut is manageable)? Is that an unfair comment or right on the money?

I think that it makes an incredible difference if you're lucky enough to be the right size at a given weight class given the enormous variances. But that's just my opinion....

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 4, 2014

I think you're right about that, Hank. I also think he beat a lot of good guys to earn the spot. Also, since 2008, that weight (formerly 55) has lacked a star and just kind of had a bunch of relatively evenly-matched solid guys who never felt like guys you would put money on to win a medal. So he wasn't facing a Jordan Burroughs last weekend like Taylor. His weight class was just as tough or tougher than Ruth's, though, IMO.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on June 4, 2014

Ruth benefits from being in a weight where there is no true dominant guy unlike Taylor and Stieber.

Ruth could very well go on an be a medalist this year at Worlds. That would be a huge jump from last year where he failed to medal at University Worlds.

I would like to see what Stieber and Taylor can do against world level competition overseas. We've seen limited samples here in the states but I think the true test will be how they perform in the international tournaments.

► Add to the Discussion