Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: something to chew on -- --
Denny Pool added to this discussion on June 21, 2014

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"I have a slightly different perspective on the subject of now vs then.
This is based on nothing more than what I see as I (and others) see as we work the matches.
IMO, the kids at the top, today, are VERY good. Perhaps the best ever. These are the kids we see at Fargo, Ironman, Brecksville, or wherever.
However, the base of the triangle is much narrower today than it was 20-30 years ago.
A lot of reasons of course. Pay to play, if I don't start I don't want to be on the team, lack of participants, etc.
Bottom line is that the depth is simply not there. I look at the Mentor District then vs now and the difference is striking.

gain, I stress that the best kids are amazing but the drop off is very fast.
Just my $.02."

Spot on Jim

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: something to chew on -- --
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 21, 2014

excerpt from AWN July, this guy on a very short list of THE best high school coaches in America:

Steve Powell has been head coach at famed Easton Red Rovers in the Lehigh Valley for 30 years, he recently was inducted into the Pennsylvania Coaches Hall of Fame. I have often quoted Steve because his teams have distinguished themselves versus great competition and he is such a savvy guy.

Question: The high school kids rankings done by the major publications factor in the Olympic styles results, mainly Fargo. What skills from the Olympic styles help a kid transition to college?

Steve Powell: “Commitment to the sport, commitment to be the best, commitment to become a better athlete, commitment to wrestle anyone, any style any time. Mat awareness, hand fighting, hand fighting & hand fighting. Match winners come down to the same basic moves to score. especially singles, doubles & high crotches. What changes is how you get those singles, doubles & high crotches. You have to learn to stay in position, beat your opponent’s hands & lines of defense. You have to get better at finishing those basic moves. Freestyle especially teaches mat awareness."

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2