Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Nick Roberts
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 23, 2014

Checked the roster today on tOSU site and he was not listed. Mistake?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 23, 2014

transfering, good kid, talented, maybe needs more passion.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 23, 2014

So much for depth at 125/133.

Good luck to Roberts. I thought he showed solid improvement. Historically speaking, he's one of the better 125's in Buckeye history as he finished 6th at Big Tens as a redshirt frosh.

Why is he transferring?

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on June 23, 2014

I imagine Roberts is transferring because he wants to start and not ride the bench for the next couple of years behind Tomasello. I just hope Coach Andrassy is trying hard to get Nick Roberts because he would fit perfectly at 125 and it's about an hour closer to home for Nick.

I wonder if KSU is also looking at poaching whoever loses the wrestle off between Tavanello and Haines for 2015-16. Tavanello comes from Wadsworth which is close to Kent, so that might be good place for him. (Just in case).

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

I liked Nick Roberts. I hope he lands somewhere that he will continue to develop well.

Haines has a lot of work to do to knock off Tav. He better be getting busy.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

Tav is definatly a hard worker! Best case scenario for Haines is thay he follows the workout footsteps of Snyder as it seems he is "logan like" in his drive.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

This doesn't come as a total surprise here. Tomasello beat him soundly in wrestle off and was undefeated on the redshirt circuit.

It will be interesting to see where he lands.

Does this free up more money for the 2015 recruits they maybe looking at?

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"Tav is definatly a hard worker! Best case scenario for Haines is thay he follows the workout footsteps of Snyder as it seems he is "logan like" in his drive."

Yep. I guess my thing on this is that, I don't think people are paying attention to what Tav did at the end of last season. He won 4 matches at the NCAAs. Tav is not yet a title contender, BUT he is not second rate. He is a legit top level D1 285 (top 15). Thomas Haines is a bag of potential. He was not even the best 285 in the nation in HS last year. He is good, but he is no Logan Stieber or Kyle Snyder. Now, Haines is big and athletic and in a great place to develop into a great 285, but he is not going to come on the scene and take over. He is not that kind of recruit. I wish him the best. I hope he is a national title contender, but let's be a little realistic here.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

"Tav is definatly a hard worker! Best case scenario for Haines is thay he follows the workout footsteps of Snyder as it seems he is "logan like" in his drive."

Yep. I guess my thing on this is that, I don't think people are paying attention to what Tav did at the end of last season. He won 4 matches at the NCAAs. Tav is not yet a title contender, BUT he is not second rate. He is a legit top level D1 285 (top 15). Thomas Haines is a bag of potential. He was not even the best 285 in the nation in HS last year. He is good, but he is no Logan Stieber or Kyle Snyder. Now, Haines is big and athletic and in a great place to develop into a great 285, but he is not going to come on the scene and take over. He is not that kind of recruit. I wish him the best. I hope he is a national title contender, but let's be a little realistic here."

I agree 100%....I think Tav will be difficult to unseat...especially in the near future.

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"This doesn't come as a total surprise here. Tomasello beat him soundly in wrestle off and was undefeated on the redshirt circuit.

It will be interesting to see where he lands.

Does this free up more money for the 2015 recruits they maybe looking at?"

These were my thoughts, that this may be the best for all involved. Roberts will be able to start and his scholarship money can be used elsewhere. Really hoping for Myles Martin and at least one other blue chip recruit.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

Nick Roberts has the right to do whatever he feels is in his best interest. It's his wrestling career and education.

But why is it that Iowa can keep Gilman and Clark or Conaway serves as a supersub for PSU? What keeps Roberts from saying that he'll stay and compete?

No criticism intended. Just wondering what it takes to keep a stud backup in the fold vs leaving?

Steve Durose added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

Yep. I guess my thing on this is that, I don't think people are paying attention to what Tav did at the end of last season. He won 4 matches at the NCAAs. Tav is not yet a title contender, BUT he is not second rate. He is a legit top level D1 285 (top 15). Thomas Haines is a bag of potential. He was not even the best 285 in the nation in HS last year. He is good, but he is no Logan Stieber or Kyle Snyder. Now, Haines is big and athletic and in a great place to develop into a great 285, but he is not going to come on the scene and take over. He is not that kind of recruit. I wish him the best. I hope he is a national title contender, but let's be a little realistic here."

Well, allow me to retort. You say Haines "was not even the best 285 in the nation in HS last year." True, he was second in the nation, which is a hell of a lot higher than Tav was ranked in HS. Please don't get me wrong, I want to make it clear that I am a big fan of Tav's and appreciate his hard work. However, other than splitting matches with Coon, I don't think he beat a wrestler in the top 25 all season. He was 8th at Big Tens. If you look at the names that Tav lost to last season, and there are a lot of them, I don't think it's unrealistic to think that the second ranked 285 in the nation coming out of HS could surpass those accomplishments.

Thomas Haines is not the 2nd coming of Tommy Rowlands is my point. He is not the caliber of wrestler that is going to come out of HS and compete for a national title as a freshman. He was the 2nd ranked 285 out of HS, but it was not a fantastic 285 class. Tav was 8th in the B1G...arguably the deepest weight class in the best D1 conference in the nation last year. He did have some bad losses along with some great wins. A very good HS 285 is not going to just come in an unseat Tav. It would take an Adam Coon level 285 to do that and I do not believe Haines is coming out of HS at that level.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 24, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" But why is it that Iowa can keep Gilman and Clark or Conaway serves as a supersub for PSU? "

answer: because they are Iowa & Penn state -they have panache and stature and we don't yet.

has its upside, Roberts got a good amount of money i'm speculating, now its freed up.

it also means Tomasello is gonna be reeeeeeel good next year.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" But why is it that Iowa can keep Gilman and Clark or Conaway serves as a supersub for PSU? "

answer: because they are Iowa & Penn state -they have panache and stature and we don't yet.

has its upside, Roberts got a good amount of money i'm speculating, now its freed up.

it also means Tomasello is gonna be reeeeeeel good next year."

I was thinking the same thing in reference to Iowa and PSU. Clark and Gillman want to be a part of that tradition specifically. Also, not having a ton of insight into Iowa's room, is one of the two going to be a 133 this coming season?

I have to believe that even though there is significant separation between Roberts and Tomasello, Nick still believes he can be an AA, even if he cannot overcome Tomasello. And, that's probably true. Winning the team title must be less important to him. Which is fine, if that's how he feels. In that case, it is just best to let him move on.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next