Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Less than 4 months till the season to remember starts! Predictions?
John DiJulius added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

Feeling the need to talk about anything other than Tom Ryan's religious views, it's time to make some predictions for the exciting year ahead for OSU wrestling season.

1) What place with they finish the NCAA's in?
2) Will they go undefeated in duals?
3) How many national champs will they have?
4) How many finalists?
5) How many AA's?
6) Biggest surprise?

Need some prizes for the winner like
*free corn beef sandwich
*a free massage

Last edited by John DiJulius on July 15, 2014; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Less than 4 months till the season to remember starts! Predictions?
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

The line for AAs is set at 6.5.

Will you take the over, or the under?

Last edited by Mark Niemann on July 15, 2014; edited 1 time in total

John DiJulius added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"The line for AAs is set at 6.5.

Will you take the over, or the under?"

OVER!

I'm going to answer the rest here in a second. Hold on...

First and foremost let's clarify one thing... The line-up. The above questions are asked when a particular line-up in mind, correct? If not, the below answers are given with this line-up in mind:

125: Nathan Tomasello
133: Not sure (Just kidding, John! ;-) )
141: Logan Stieber
149: Hunter Stieber
155: Josh Demas (just kidding on the weight class, guys!)
165: Bo Jordan
174: Mark Martin
184: Kenny Courts
197: Kyle Snyder
285: Nick Tavanello

1) Top 3 - guaranteed. (SO much needs to go right in order to win. See Iowa, circa 2009)
2) Very possible! Iowa & Minnesota pose the biggest threats. UofM is no slouch.
3) I want so badly to say 3 (141, 149, & 197. 165 is the wild card. I want to see him wrestle collegiate comp. over a few weeks. Remember: Colt had a KILLA frosh start. Heck, Coon (UofM) had an AMAZING season last year. But the end was much different than the beginning.)
4) I will go 3 here, for reasons stated above. Bottom line, this season, if a Buckeye gets there, he's winning it.
5) 6.5 is the line. But I want to see ten.
6) biggest surprise will be Kim Stone NOT winning Fan of the Year for an unprecidented 3rd straight year. I'm comin to getcher crown, ma'am.

ps: I love the topic! Great stuff for now, and to revisit throughout the year.

Last edited by Mark Niemann on July 15, 2014; edited 1 time in total

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

Is Niemann giving the massage?

Ain't skeered! The only problem is that I'd probably have the reverse effect concerning the goal of a massage.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

I'll stay away from most of these categories except one--Bucks will not go undefeated in duals. The schedule is too brutal and it's almost impossible to win every one.

--Even PSU has failed to go undefeated last two years.
--Bucks wrestle PSU, Iowa and Minny. All will be loaded. Plus they've got to take on a solid Michigan squad plus Mizzou and Virginia Tech.

Remember, every team has peaks and valleys during season. The ultimate goal is to be ready in March.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I'll stay away from most of these categories except one--Bucks will not go undefeated in duals. The schedule is too brutal and it's almost impossible to win every one.

--Even PSU has failed to go undefeated last two years.
--Bucks wrestle PSU, Iowa and Minny. All will be loaded. Plus they've got to take on a solid Michigan squad plus Mizzou and Virginia Tech.

Remember, every team has peaks and valleys during season. The ultimate goal is to be ready in March."

And injuries...

Well said!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

1) What place with they finish the NCAA's in?
I truly believe that this is the year the Bucks bring home a national title.
2) Will they go undefeated in duals?
No, Minny is the best team on the schedule, buy Iowa and Penn State scare me more as the Bucks generally come out a little slow from the long Christmas break. I think someone trips them up.
3) How many national champs will they have?
I'll say three. Not sure which three, but I think they get three.
4) How many finalists?
I'll say four, 141, 149, 165 and 197.
5) How many AA's?
I think 125, 133, 141, 149, 157, 165 and 197 are good bets. One of them may slip up and one of the other weights may surprise, so I'll stick with seven.
6) Biggest surprise?
Nationally it will be Josh Demas. I think people forget he was R12 a couple years ago and he will be a surprise AA. To those who know the team it will be what a healthy Mark Martin really looks like. Would love for him to have gotten that RS year last year, but I think he is a R12 guy who knocks off some top 5 guys this year.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

Minnesota poses the biggest threat to knock them off in a dual. Even when Penn State looked like a solid favorite last year they still fell to Minnesota. Iowa poses a big problem as well with the lineup they have. I think the difference would be bonus points for the Buckeyes that could make the difference. The rumor mill has Penn State redshirting Megaludis and Retherford this year along with the recruiting class.

I think the Buckeyes have 4 finalists this year. The difference between Sponseller and Jordan is a big one. Jordan #1 recruit in 2013 and also redshirted. Sponseller hit a wall and I don't see that happening with BOJO.

Buckeyes could have 8 AA's and 10 qualifiers. Just like in past years the difference will be bonus points which I see that happening with some of the wrestlers they will have in St. Louis next year.

I'll go out on a limb and predict the 1st National title for the Buckeyes in wrestling ever.

#STL2015

#wt3

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

I have tried to put off my predictions here as long as I could, because most viewers on here usually think that I am crazy-optimistic. Maybe that's a little bit true, but my thoughts aren't a lot different than many of the predictions already listed.

1)In March the Headline Reads: 'Coach Ryan and the Buckeyes pull off their Greatest Accomplishment Ever in Wrestling by winning the NCAA Tournament by 20 points'. - I PREDICT tOSU AS NATIONAL CHAMPS!!
2) As much as I would like to say it, tOSU will not go undefeated, partially because that is not their first goal. Their ultimate goals are to win a National championship and a secondary goal of winning Big Ten Title, and Tertiary goals of winning the Nationals Duals and the CKLV tournaments. Not that the duals aren't important, but undoubtedly the efforts put into the other goals will take a toll on the team and injuries, and/or flu-bugs, will develop that will cost us a match or two with an extremely tough schedule. Make no mistake, I believe that tOSU can beat any team in the country this year when we are healthy and prepared with the first-team guys, I just don't think that we will have that luxury to keep all ten guys healthy all year, and the Big Ten competition is too tough to attack with a physically depleted team. This is where the lack of depth comes into play. - I PREDICT 2 DUAL LOSSES IN BIG TEN!
3) I PREDICT 4 CHAMPS FOR tOSU: 141/149/165/197.
4) I PREDICT 4 FINALISTS FOR tOSU:141/149/165/197.
5) I PREDICT 8 AA's: 125/133/141/149/165/185/197, & either 155 or 285. - Others have not listed Kenny Courts or Nick T. for AA. but I believe that Kenny should be a favorite to AA as his class is greatly depleted by graduation and he has all of the necessary skills to be top 5 in his class. I like the progress that Nick T. made last year in his first full year of being a starter (Nick was Round of 12 last year and 6 guys above him graduated). I think the grind was tough on him, and he had a good end of the season beating three top 15 guys in Coon, Myers, and James in the last two weeks. Perhaps Nick has arrived?? - Josh Demas has been the forgotten man, but I think he could very possibly AA this year. He looked good at the Northeast Freestyle qualifier since getting his knee fixed.
6)I PICK NICK T. AS MY SURPRISE OF THE YEAR! - I think he is a hard worker, and he got a wealth of experience last year, he could be ready to step up to the next level and AA this year. Plus he is getting pushed in the freestyle room by Tervel and J.D. Bergman, and will be working in the OSU room with Kosta, Haines, and Snyder. That will either break him, or make him a champion! Many times quality mat partners are the difference between good and great wrestlers. I expect improvement!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

as an alum, class of 69, and an ohioan, i hope they do it-- but im gonna withhold some of my confidence in it happening. It certainly can happen, however a number of guys, 5, must raise their game and 3 new guys must have game.

Will they ALL do it, No. Will enough of them do it to get to the top, could happen. Will good fortune aka injuries & seeds at NCAA be kind to buckeyes? its always a wild card.

thats all i'm saying for right now, but i'm never (over)confident in sports matters. Regardless of result i hope its an exciting journey. ...s/BobP

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on July 15, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"as an alum, class of 69, and an ohioan, i hope they do it-- but im gonna withhold some of my confidence in it happening.

thats all i'm saying for right now, but i'm never (over)confident in sports matters. Regardless of result i hope its an exciting journey. ...s/BobP"

Johnny Manzell is a BROWN!

LeBron is back in Cleveland!

Braxton Miller is returning as the defending two-time Big Ten MVP.

And the Buckeyes Wrestling Team has a 'potential' National Championship Team!

It's a great year to be an Ohio Sports fan!!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 16, 2014

This is tough. The homer in me says there are 5 potential finalists. The realist in me says 3 of those have yet to wrestle a varsity D1 collegiate match. That reality alone leaves far too many question marks at this point. We don't know so much about these guys. We think they will just keep winning and stay healthy, but the reality is, they have not yet endured the grind of a full season in the B1G. We have no idea if they can hold up to that (mentally or physically).

So, the homer in me predicts 3 titles (with 5 finalists), 10 AAs, 1 team loss in the B1G season, and a team title.

The realist in me says 1 title, 5 AAs, 3 team losses in the B1G, and a 3rd place finish for the team.

Of course I hope my homer predictions happen, but I suspect it's somewhere in between.

Biggest surprise? Based on the previous postings, I'll say Nate Tomasello. While I don't think anyone has left him out, I do think he has as much finalist potential as BoJo and Snyder. We'll see. Anxious to see the progress of DiJulius, Hunter, Demas, Courts, & Tav.

Cannot wait to watch this season play out. It will be a lot of fun!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next