Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Less than 4 months till the season to remember starts! Predictions?
Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 16, 2014

Pain.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Less than 4 months till the season to remember starts! Predictions?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 16, 2014

Bob P's post was spot on.

Bucks have a world of talent heading into this season but historically Ohio State has only once topped four AA's (with T-Buck leading the way).

Bucks might have more realistic national champ possibilities than any other squad but other teams have more potential AA's. This means two things:

1) The Big Five--Tomasello, Logan, Hunter, BoJo and Snyderman--need to come up big. Let's say three finalists and two more high AA finishes.

2) The next tier--JDJ, Demas, Martin, Courts and Tavanello--need to break through. At least two need to earn AA status and all need to stay healthy and score points.

One thing about this season--a lot of teams have terrific lineups with potential AA's at most weights. Minny, Iowa and PSU can all make that claim as well as Cornell and Okie State. Other teams such as Michigan, Nebraska and Mizzou will have a lot of high scoring potential. Could be a season where good guys keep knocking each other off and the top six or so are bunched together.

On paper, I think Iowa or Minny is the slightest of favorites. Bucks, however, are right there. Quite frankly, it will help a bit not to be the favorite. Again, historically speaking, Ohio State has usually performed better as an underdog.

One thing for sure--it's going to be an exciting winter with Buckeye wrestling and LBJ on the Cavs.

Incidentally, I am the originator of the nicknames "BoJo", "MoJo", "NaTo" and "Snyderman". Please be sure to send me a royalties check whenever you use them. I'm particularly proud of "Snyderman" and expect that whenever he takes the mat, this song will play in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtziaZlDeE

Ohio State Wrestling Marketing Department....you're welcome.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 16, 2014

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

" Biggest surprise? Based on the previous postings, I'll say Nate Tomasello. While I don't think anyone has left him out, I do think he has as much finalist potential as BoJo and Snyder. "

wow, thats the kiss of death, picking a RS freshman to make finals. i have reservations that Tomasello is ready to go with the great "scramblers", finalists Delgado & Nashon Garrett. Dance too, the 4th placer is a great scrambler.

ive been touting Tomasello with lavish praise for several years, he will not be out-strengthed or conditioned, he is skilled in all 3 positions--- but scramblers bring a new dimension esp when they are top 4 finishers in NCAA. 3rd placer Megaludis is "heavy hands", Tomasello would fare better vs him but apparently he is RSing.

(despite Hanks copy-righted nicknames that he is proud of, i will mercifully refrain from refering to Tomasello as, ugh, NaTo.) ...s/BobP

John DiJulius added to this discussion on July 16, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Incidentally, I am the originator of the nicknames "BoJo", "MoJo", "NaTo" and "Snyderman". Please be sure to send me a royalties check whenever you use them. I'm particularly proud of "Snyderman" and expect that whenever he takes the mat, this song will play in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtziaZlDeE

Ohio State Wrestling Marketing Department....you're welcome."

How about "Johnni Wrestling"?

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 16, 2014

No more "kiss of death" than others choosing BoJo or true freshman Snyder :-)

"No more "kiss of death" than others choosing BoJo or true freshman Snyder :-)"

fair enough Patrick--- perhaps in March i will be praising you with my annual "Wisdom of Solomon" award. This year it went to #bookemdano for many prescient calls above & beyond the call of duty at great personal risk.

No wisdom, as much of a hunch as everyone else has with their picks. 3 unproven freshmen. It's on their shoulders to show their grit. Let's hope they can.

"No wisdom, as much of a hunch as everyone else has with their picks. 3 unproven freshmen. It's on their shoulders to show their grit. Let's hope they can."

We're spoiled by Logan. It's easy to forget how remarkable he's been. Same for Hunter. What they're doing at the highest level is very rare.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 16, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"We're spoiled by Logan. It's easy to forget how remarkable he's been. Same for Hunter. What they're doing at the highest level is very rare."

I recently saw Logan at a camp. What a joy! The young man has it together, and I can't wait to watch him - and the rest of the Buckeyes - compete this coming season.

Hank: After he graduates, and makes a run at 2016, and possibly 2020, does he get into coaching? I've heard nothing on the matter. He certainly doesn't have to, and will possess a degree from tOSU. I'm wondering if he wants to stay in Columbus or travel out and tries to build something somewhere.

"No wisdom, as much of a hunch as everyone else has with their picks. 3 unproven freshmen. It's on their shoulders to show their grit. Let's hope they can."

i will have none of your false modesty Patrick, should your hunch come thru re NaTo (ugh there i said it) i will meet u at Mr Brisket to buy your lunch-- i hope it happens. ...s/BobP

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"
i will have none of your false modesty Patrick...s/BobP"

I would hope that you don't believe the full depth of my character is what is displayed by my goofing off on a college wrestling forum. I suspect we'd have a fine time conversing over a brew and some corned beef. ;-)

It's BYOB at Hank's place.

" I would hope that you don't believe the full depth of my character is what is displayed by my goofing off on a college wrestling forum. I suspect we'd have a fine time conversing over a brew and some corned beef. ;-)

It's BYOB at Hank's place."

as always, the depth of a man's character is determined by the brand of whiskey he drinks and whether he drives a Ford or Chevy pickup truck.

hopefully it will be an occassion to have some "NaTo Rules" T-shirts printed up.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on July 16, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"wow, thats the kiss of death, picking a RS freshman to make finals. i have reservations that Tomasello is ready to go with the great "scramblers", finalists Delgado & Nashon Garrett. Dance too, the 4th placer is a great scrambler.

ive been touting Tomasello with lavish praise for several years, he will not be out-strengthed or conditioned, he is skilled in all 3 positions--- but scramblers bring a new dimension esp when they are top 4 finishers in NCAA. 3rd placer Megaludis is "heavy hands", Tomasello would fare better vs him but apparently he is RSing.

(despite Hanks copy-righted nicknames that he is proud of, i will mercifully refrain from refering to Tomasello as, ugh, NaTo.) ...s/BobP"

This is an excellent analysis. In high school, Nate "Franchise" Tomasello (that is his ACTUAL nickname....copyright Mike Vash of CVCA wrestling) was a perfect positioning wrestler. However, due to the relative low quality of his opponents, nobody was ever really able to penetrate his head hands defense enough to get in on his legs. I am certain that has not been the case given the practice partners he has in the Ohio State room, though, and am hoping he has added scrambling to his repertoire.

The one positive in a matchup with someone like Delgado is that Nate finishes his lethal high-crotch before going to the ground. Best defense against a scrambler is to keep your head up and your ankles down.....unfortunately....Delgado is just flat out really really good at scrambling. Last years national championship match was incredible. I didn't even know it was possible for the defensive guy to get to an ankle on a double leg.....let alone a Nashon Garrett double leg (watch the first 10 seconds of the match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5xzfuqjvqY).

Quote from Brandon Sommers's post:

""

This is an excellent analysis. In high school, Nate "Franchise" Tomasello (that is his ACTUAL nickname....copyright Mike Vash of CVCA wrestling) was a perfect positioning wrestler. However, due to the relative low quality of his opponents, nobody was ever really able to penetrate his head hands defense enough to get in on his legs.[/quote]
----------------------------

scramblers are born with that dimension, like boxers with a knockout punch, either u have it or u don't-- and u don't see these guys often, most teams don't have one, so its tough to practice against it.

But as u say, position is everything. Against a dangerous scrambler Tomo has to get in deep & finish shots. CANNOT let Delgado wrestle from a distance- handfight, tie ups, stay close, then u have a chance.

(i would have to take exception to Tomasello level of comp in hs: 3 fargo freestyle titles with another fargo 3rd, and 3 Ironman titles, u don't get any more comp than that. So Tomo is for real.)

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next