Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Less than 4 months till the season to remember starts! Predictions?
Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on July 16, 2014

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"
(i would have to take exception to Tomasello level of comp in hs: 3 fargo freestyle titles with another fargo 3rd, and 3 Ironman titles, u don't get any more comp than that. So Tomo is for real.)"

I had a feeling you might say something in this regard. You can't scramble in freestyle, though. At least not Delgado style scrambling.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Less than 4 months till the season to remember starts! Predictions?
Pat Altvater added to this discussion on July 16, 2014

On the issue of Toamsello, I think that Nate is very talented, but I think that 125 is very tough right now and Nate's finalist and championship years may have to wait a year or two.

From what I've seen, Delgado, Garret, and Megaludis is in a class of their own. Nate will have to earn the right to be compared to those guys

To my knowledge, Nate has lost his last two freestyle matches to Gilman from Iowa. I'm not sure how that translates to folkstyle, but I have to give a slight edge to Gilman at this point.

The next tier in this class is Dylan Peters (UNI),Josh Martinez (AF), Tyler Cox (WY), and Ryan Taylor (WI). From my minimal observations, I would say that starting the season that Nate would be in the middle of this group.

I have predicted Nate to be an AA as a freshman, but any more than at this time is hope and optimism.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on July 17, 2014

1 - I think it will be a dogfight and a very close battle between more than two teams. I think it'll be one of the best and most competitive NCAA tournaments in history, but I also think Ohio State does win it's first NCAA title it his season.
2 - I don't think they'll go undefeated in duals.
3 - One.
4 - Two.
5 - Seven.
6 - Courts.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 17, 2014

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"1 - I think it will be a dogfight and a very close battle between more than two teams. I think it'll be one of the best and most competitive NCAA tournaments in history, but I also think Ohio State does win it's first NCAA title it his season.
..."

When one can easily think of five teams that are in the running, things are exciting! Factor in that this is wrestling, and that just the smallest of variables can drastically change things, and it makes me happy that I'm heading to #STL2015.

Excellent post, good sir.

ps: I see you took the over on 6.5 AAs.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on July 17, 2014

"From what I've seen, Delgado, Garret, and Megaludis is in a class of their own. Nate will have to earn the right to be compared to those guys"

Tomasello already owns a freestyle win over Garrett, so I think you can compare him to these folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNLHXV9rvvU

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on July 17, 2014

One thing that I read earlier that stuck with me was when Mr Preusse said that scramblers are born with that dimension regarding Tomasello verses some of the other heavy hitters in the weight. While I do think different wrestlers have different attributes and skill sets, that part of the sport has changed. In my day and all the days before that scrambling was just that, scrambling. It was what happened when you were in those fluid moments where there was no technique taught for that particular situation. That simply isn't the case anymore, and hasn't been for quite a while. Scrambling is as much about repetition, technique and position as hand fighting.

For the record, I think that Tomasello will All American, but I can't see him challenging the top guys, say 1-4. That puts him at a mid-to-low AA. Impressive by any standard.

I will say this, when you remember what happened with Adam Coon (a Jordan/Tomasello type recruit) last year, it's not out of the question that one or all of these freshmen don't AA. I think they will, but it's a testament to their skills that we all just assume that they'll do this thing that All Time legends like J. Jaggers and Steve Luke and Rex Holman and Adam DiSabito never did. Freshmen All American is a tall order.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on July 19, 2014

Nassim Nicholas Taleb coined the phrase "ludic fallacy" which is used to explain simplistic explanations to complex problems.

Wrestling isn't rocket science but it has as many variables. if not more.

That being said, I will speculate.

Regarding the freshman; Bo Jordan is my strongest pick for finalist based upon his skill set, devotion to folkstyle and his upbringing. He has developed enough attacks and contingencies to win against excellent wrestlers.

Snyder will answer some questions for me when I see him wrestle from referees' position. I beat an NCAA runner up by 10+ at the Sunkist Open just prior to season my redshirt freshman year. Did a bunch of freestyle but should have been really working on referees' position and wrestling evenly contested opponents. You don't get a hall pass on that position. That being said, he is great on his feet.

I look for Nate to finish 4-8. As mentioned, Delgado, Garrett and Mega are going to be very difficult to beat. I think he is more likely to beat one of those guys in a consi match but it still would be nothing short of incredible.

Logan wins his fourth and they schedule him for the last bout. His match may determine the team race. I think Hunter joins him in the finals. Hunter is great on his feet but his top position is hopefully much improved from two years ago; it really impacts the flow of a match when you are excelling on top.

I look for Demas to place as he has paid a lot of dues and has a very complete collegiate game.

JDJ, excellent at what he does, but am hoping that he has added a couple contingent attacks which complement his existing attacks.

I think Tav AAs 2015 or 2016. In his case for 2015, bracketing will play a large role.

I want to bang the Courts drum but until he learns to wrestle strong while fatigued, you don’t win the tough ones. (IMO conditioning/fatigue is what causes the majority of lapses at the collegiate level)

I need to see Martin wrestle better, I think he is still figuring out how to win at that level. He is close but has lacked some positional skills. Some things are hard to come by even when you think you are addressing them. Sometimes you are blind to it and can only see it in retrospect (post college).

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 19, 2014

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"...

Regarding the freshman; Bo Jordan is my strongest pick for finalist based upon his skill set, devotion to folkstyle and his upbringing. He has developed enough attacks and contingencies to win against excellent wrestlers.

..."

I am quite possibly the third biggest BoJo* fan out there, so what I am about to type is even baffling for me, but...

Not once did he get close to Ian Miller's leg in their freestyle match. BoJo could be the 4th 4x National Champion, and 2nd in tOSU's history, but I would have liked to see him at least get a hold of the leg! Granted, the style could have limited BoJo's attacks due to counters enabling Miller to score points - and, it was quite possibly one of the greatest performances I've seen in a while - but still, I'd have liked to seen him get a hold of Ian's leg.

#wt3

*Reps to Hank for BoJo

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 20, 2014

"I look for Nate to finish 4-8. As mentioned, Delgado, Garrett and Mega are going to be very difficult to beat. I think he is more likely to beat one of those guys in a consi match but it still would be nothing short of incredible. "

If Megaludis RS this season, it really does open this class up. And while I agree, that we are likely going to see a Delgado/Garrett final (on paper), if Nate's improvement over the past season is on par with his abilities and work ethic, he may well surprise us. Who really knows? None of us. We need to see him on the mat against real competition. The good news....it's coming.

"I want to bang the Courts drum but until he learns to wrestle strong while fatigued, you don’t win the tough ones. (IMO conditioning/fatigue is what causes the majority of lapses at the collegiate level)"

I yapped about this at the end of last season. It infuriates me that a guy with more talent in his pinky finger than I had sum total let's conditioning be his rate limiting step. Were I man enough, I would grab him by the shoulders and shake some sense into him. I am not... C'mon Kenny, don't let conditioning stand in the way of you and greatness! That may be more of a lack of heart than any other issue in wrestling.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on July 20, 2014

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

"I look for Nate to finish 4-8. As mentioned, Delgado, Garrett and Mega are going to be very difficult to beat. I think he is more likely to beat one of those guys in a consi match but it still would be nothing short of incredible. "

If Megaludis RS this season, it really does open this class up. And while I agree, that we are likely going to see a Delgado/Garrett final (on paper), if Nate's improvement over the past season is on par with his abilities and work ethic, he may well surprise us. Who really knows? None of us. We need to see him on the mat against real competition. The good news....it's coming.

"I want to bang the Courts drum but until he learns to wrestle strong while fatigued, you don’t win the tough ones. (IMO conditioning/fatigue is what causes the majority of lapses at the collegiate level)"

I yapped about this at the end of last season. It infuriates me that a guy with more talent in his pinky finger than I had sum total let's conditioning be his rate limiting step. Were I man enough, I would grab him by the shoulders and shake some sense into him. I am not... C'mon Kenny, don't let conditioning stand in the way of you and greatness! That may be more of a lack of heart than any other issue in wrestling."

I'm not sure I'm ready to hop on the conditioning bandwagon in regards to Courts. I agree with Rex that he needs to do better while fatigued, but I'm not ready to say it's a lack of conditioning. I mean, he has to do what everyone else does in the room right? It's not like the coaches let Courts sit and sip on a drink while everyone else busts their butt. So, is it that he tires faster than others? Or is it that he wrestles much worse than others when tired?

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 20, 2014

Or that he is not strictly following training regimen while not under watchful eye. I'm sure the staff has a much better idea than what those of us not close to the program might throw out as conjecture. We can only witness to what we see in the end product, and we each have our own take on what we witness. Courts has immense talent, but is lacking in certain areas. He was up big on Dudley of Neb. the first time they wrestled last year, then gassed and lost. Their second meeting Kenny started well again but got caught with a cradle and pinned. He lost to Abounader twice by the same means. Each time as he was aggressive offensively he was "caught" with the same counter. He also does not have a chiseled frame. Is that genetics or lack of dedication to training. Bottom line is that all of our "little five" need to improve their game if TOSU hopes to win the 2015 National tittle.

John Herren added to this discussion on August 1, 2014

Quote from John DiJulius's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Incidentally, I am the originator of the nicknames "BoJo", "MoJo", "NaTo" and "Snyderman". Please be sure to send me a royalties check whenever you use them. I'm particularly proud of "Snyderman" and expect that whenever he takes the mat, this song will play in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtziaZlDeE

Ohio State Wrestling Marketing Department....you're welcome."

How about "Johnni Wrestling"?"

Love it and I am a Steeler fan.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 4, 2014

Johnni Firemans...Or Johnni Barrel Roll

Steve Durose added to this discussion on August 7, 2014

I predicted a break out year for Courts last season, I'm not going to this year. Some guys have fire in their belly, some don't. That's just the way it is.
I'm hoping, not predicting, that Johnni and M. Martin take a step up. Both are capable. With Ramos, Graff, and Thorn graduating, the conference title is there for the taking at 133.
I think both Hunter and Logan will be champions.
I think Nate,Johnni,Bo,and Kyle will be AA's.
I think there's a very good chance Demas could AA but I'm taking a wait and see approach.
I think Haines could have a very good season if he is given the opportunity. I know a lot of you guys are high on Nick T. but he really didn't do very much last season. If he beats Haines in wrestle-offs, more power to him. I know Coach likes to wrestle upperclassmen, but for a team trying to win its first national title, I'd prefer to see the guy capable of scoring points.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on August 7, 2014

I think you'll like what Tavenello brings to the table this year. I would be stunned if he wasn't the starter at 285.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next