Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks new recruit
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 8, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Speaking of recruits/recruiting...

Michigan grabbed Assad then Wisconsin got a verbal from Stickley. Both these guys project as lower wts and are among the very best of this year's senior class.

Should the Bucks have gotten one of them?

Or does this mean they're all in on the kid from NY?"

I would like to see the bucks get Mackall from Walsh

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 8, 2014

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

I would like to see the bucks get Mackall from Walsh"

I'll second this. That kid is a stud!!!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 9, 2014

No....

Didn't answer question...

Ok, my guess is the Bucks want the young man from NY badly as he's clearly a stud. Last name is long and Italian.

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on August 9, 2014

"No....

Ok, my guess is the Bucks want the young man from NY badly as he's clearly a stud. Last name is long and Italian."

Gotta get in line for that one.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 9, 2014

"No....

Ok, my guess is the Bucks want the young man from NY badly as he's clearly a stud. Last name is long and Italian."

They are both good but if both think they are career 125 why go to OSU and sit behind Tomasello for 3 years.

I would rather have Mackall over Assad but I'm probably in the minority.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on August 9, 2014

"Speaking of recruits/recruiting...

Michigan grabbed Assad then Wisconsin got a verbal from Stickley. Both these guys project as lower wts and are among the very best of this year's senior class.

Should the Bucks have gotten one of them?

Or does this mean they're all in on the kid from NY?"

If they're viewing Assad as a 125 type for the early (or all) career, why would he come to sit behind Tomasello for a redshirt and two years of eligibility (I'm presuming Tomasello as a career 125 based on frame).

Stickley seems to have more potential to grow outside the 125 weight class into a 133+ type.

I don't know who Ohio State is "in" on, but I'm thinking they can use a 133 projection in this class with that slot opening up for a kid in this class after a redshirt (and the roster not featuring a starter type at 133 going forward once DiJulius leaves).

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 9, 2014

Ohio st very much wants (133) Piccinnini from NY and (184) Myles Martin from Md-- (141) Kolodzik up there too-- (133) Cameron Kelly of Bellbrook ohio would be much welcomed.

for Piccinnini and Martin they are going head to head with Penn st among others but Ohio st is definitely in the hunt. For Kolodzik its Princeton and Harvard but ohio st has a shot here.

Camreron Kelly? i'm not sure but i know Kent in on him. State runnerup, he didnt place in fargo but coaches in camp held him in high esteem. ...s/BobP

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on August 29, 2014

Listening to Overflo this morning. Willie mentions that Myles Martin is pretty much a lock for the Buckeyes. If that happens the Buckeyes lock up a top 3 recruit again.

Just figured give some good news on this day.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 29, 2014

keshawn hayes, piccinnini, kolodzik --any one of them or 2 would be very very welcome.

buckeyes not a favorite for any of them though-- but have a better shot with Kolodzik than fans believe though princton & harvard will be tough to beat.

i think ohio st will get 184 Myles Martin, would be a big get. i have to question ranking Martin "top 3" -- top 3 in his wt yes but he was beaten convincingly in Ironman 170 finals by Anthony Valencia. ...s/BobP

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 29, 2014

To his credit, though, Valencia is an absolute MONSTER. He has twice teched last year's top 3 recruit, Isaiah Martinez. Both in freestyle, yes, but Valencia was taking him down with power and at will. Very impressive.

this is gonna be a hot ticket. Vintage back to Logan Stieber vs David Taylor.

believe it or not ZAHID Valencia has jumped to 182, should meet Myles Martin at Ironman when Zahid seeks to join David Taylor as the only 4xers here ever. Taylor will be on hand to witness event.

Martin still at McDonough Md, decided no to OTC.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 29, 2014

Sam Henson and Zeke Jones have made Tom Ryan's job harder. Henson has done a nice job out of the gate while Jones is nabbing a Cael type recruiting class.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 29, 2014

Remind me, Bob. When do Ironman tickets go on sale?

Hank, well so far neither has got a kid ohio st really wanted badly-- from my column Sept AWN:

Arizona State new head coach Zeke Jones is making big noise on the recruiting trail, recently geting (non-binding) verbal commitments from four of the nation’s top prospects and a significant transfer.

Zeke Sends Message
This is the recruit that really got my attention, Zeke going into Minnesota to get a verbal from Lance Benick of Totino-Grace (Minn.), taking him from the Gophers and the Big Ten. Jeff Beshey, Guillotine editor, tells me “Benick was definitely recruited by Minnesota. I think if they didn't already have Bobby Steveson and Nathan Rose committed for 184/197 there is a very high probability that Benick would have chosen Minnesota. Benick is very talented and athletic for a big wrestler. Steveson and Benick are the top two seniors in Minnesota and obviously several national rankings have (or had) Benick at number #1 in the nation for his weight. Steveson just defeated Benick in Fargo but there's not much distance between them.”

Benick, a three-time state champion, will enter his senior season of high school with a mark of 125-4, including a 48-0 mark this past season. Benick ended ranked No. 1 nationally at 195 pounds. He has been superb in the last three Fargo summers. This past year he finished second in Junior freestyle at 195 pounds. It comes after two straight Cadet National double (Greco-Roman and freestyle) titles.

Benick projects to the 197 pound weight class in college, and will join brothers No. 1 Anthony and three-time Ironman champ Zahid Valenica of St. John Bosco (Calif.) plus Josh Maruca of Franklin Regional (Pa.) in the Sun Devils' class of 2015. Josh Maruca served notice this summer with an Outstanding Wrestler award at the AAU Disney Duals and a third place in Fargo Junior National freestyle at 145 pounds. Maruca is a three-time state placer (fifth, fifth, third) and has a high school record of 125-21. Maruca projects as a 149/157.

The first two big gets for Zeke were the famed Valencia brothers from California. No. 1 Anthony and brother Zahid who will go for his fourth Ironman title in December at Walsh Jesuit high school Ohio, attempting to join only David Taylor (St. Paris Graham Ohio and Penn State) as 4xers there. This verbal was impressive, but not unpredictable given how little Division I college wrestling is out west. And Zeke was bound to bring excitement.

But the importance of these two especially combined with Benick cannot be overstated. This gives Arizona State real future power in the hard-to-recruit upper weights: projected 174 Anthony, 182 Zahid and 197 Benick. Yes, Zahid has gotten that big, a 132 last season by all accounts will be 182 this season. Also committing to Arizona State is a transfer from Oklahoma University, Oliver Pierce of Allen (Texas), who was very highly rated in the 2013 senior class, he is projected at 149.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 30, 2014

Mark, passes on sale starting early November at www.walshjesuit.org Need pass to get into sold-out finals. No finals tickets sold at gate.

may be of interest http://amateurwrestlingnews.com/magazine/

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next