Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Wrestling Lag Time Topic: Singlets
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 20, 2014

I was sitting here with my son, who was opining the awkwardness of singlets.

In standard fashion, I advised him that if he ever decided to wrestle, we could special order a flesh colored singlet for him (with no secondary color or perimeter design).

In standard Hayes fashion, he upped the ante and said that, "That would be pretty cool, but I'd definitely wear it if we could get pixilation squares silk screened around the crotch area."

I laughed. Out loud. : )

Niemann...Go!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 21, 2014

I wish I had the thighs, shoulders, chest and biceps to fill out a singlet. If I had that, I'd wear a singlet 24/7.

Point of note: I ALWAYS wear a singlet. However, I also always have on outer garments. If I had muscles, I would wear just the singlet. #AlwaysReady #DaveSchultzStyle

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 21, 2014

Singlets need to go. Just let the kids wear two piece form fitting top and bottom.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Singlets need to go. Just let the kids wear two piece form fitting top and bottom."

I'm not anti this statement.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on August 21, 2014

IT'S TRADITION!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 21, 2014

"Singlets need to go. Just let the kids wear two piece form fitting top and bottom."

Singlets were the first (and generally only) reason given 9 out of 10 times for why a student was not interested in wrestling (my son included).

(1 out of 10 times I heard, "No...it's too hard.")

We pontificate on all types of complex ways to increase an interest in the sport.

The target demographic of junior and high schoolers are creatures of immaturity and process life through a subjective social filter (primarily, "Am I cool?").

I suspect that if we switched up the uniforms to some type of shorts and top, threw an Under-Armour or Nike slogan on it, we'd transform participation numbers.

Niemann...Go!

Not Nike, stud.

UA all the way!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 21, 2014

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Singlets were the first (and generally only) reason given 9 out of 10 times for why a student was not interested in wrestling (my son included).

(1 out of 10 times I heard, "No...it's too hard.")

We pontificate on all types of complex ways to increase an interest in the sport.

The target demographic of junior and high schoolers are creatures of immaturity and process life through a subjective social filter (primarily, "Am I cool?").

I suspect that if we switched up the uniforms to some type of shorts and top, threw an Under-Armour or Nike slogan on it, we'd transform participation numbers.

Niemann...Go!"

Justin Hayes...I like the common sense.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on August 21, 2014

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"I was sitting here with my son, who was opining the awkwardness of singlets.

In standard fashion, I advised him that if he ever decided to wrestle, we could special order a flesh colored singlet for him (with no secondary color or perimeter design).

In standard Hayes fashion, he upped the ante and said that, "That would be pretty cool, but I'd definitely wear it if we could get pixilation squares silk screened around the crotch area."

I laughed. Out loud. : )

Niemann...Go!"

When my kids started opining I told them to quit or they would go blind ;)

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on August 21, 2014

It is definitely time for the wrestling uniform to evolve. To what is hard to say. I can contribute a couple broken fingers to getting them caught in loose clothing in the practice room. So the idea of a fighter short makes me wonder if that is the right solution. I think that even adding the requirement of a compression shirt being worn under a singlet may help the stigma behind our uniforms. I know a lot of heavy weights have been doing it for some time, but I belive instituted at all weights this slight change may gain the sport a lot more participation.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 22, 2014

If you want to build a TV audience for wrestling that extends beyond 8000 hard core fans, riding time has got to go. If I didn't love wrestling, I could never sit through the NCAA's and watch match after match of TD followed by two minutes of nothing.

Most exciting thing in last year's NCAA's involved an injury time in a 285 match because it changed the dynamics of the bout. Suddenly both guys were back on their feet. It changed the complexion of the bout.

How about every time neither wrestler--top nor bottom--shows improvement, the ref stops the bout and puts them back on their feet?

I know--old guys in PA and Oklahoma with cauliflower ears would have a fit. But the rest of the country might enjoy the wrestling better.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 22, 2014

Or change the incentive to turn.

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on August 22, 2014

Everything Hank said + change up the uni! I personally enjoy the current freestyle rules better than anything else. Just needs OT and would be perfect for all levels!

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on August 23, 2014

Why can't we go back to the more conservative looking uniforms from back in my day? I'm not sure I understand why there was a move away from them. Here is a team picture for the team I was on in high school in 1973.

Can you guess which wrestler in the picture was at which weight (98, 105, 112, 119, 126, 132, 138, 145, 155, 167, 175, 185, 285)? There are two 167 pounders in the photo.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 23, 2014

i'm told Dave Schultz as a kid wore his singlet under his school clothes every day, how much kooler can it get?

► Add to the Discussion