Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: World Championships - 2015
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 8, 2014

Due to my inability to function the next 48 hours after staying up past midnight, I was unable to stay up and watch the world championships live.

So I read about it on twitter when I woke up.

It appears Tervel Dlagnev wrestle and won, and then seven minutes later, wrestled and lost. Does anybody have an idea if anyone else - specifically his second opponent - had such little time between matches?

Is this a normal occurrence??? Moreover, and worse, is this standard operating procedure for this event???

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 8, 2014

Tervel Dlagnev in for bronze.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 8, 2014

Congrats to Tervel on nabbing a bronze. Great job!

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on September 8, 2014

My understanding was that international recovery time was 15 minutes...

TRam went 0-1.
Ruth went 1-1 (had a barn burner with Iranian who won bronze).
Marable went 2-1.
Tervel wrestled for bronze for the 5th time in his career at worlds.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on September 8, 2014

Also bekzod abdurakmonov won bronze at 70kg in his home country.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on September 9, 2014

Rough day for the Americans on a day when many thought we'd bring in multiple medals...possibly multiple golds. Turns out we will bring home ZERO golds today as Kennedy lost in the 2nd round, Metcalf lost a battle in the 2nd round, Varner lost a close one in the 2nd round, and Burroughs lost 9-2 to Tsargush in the semis. Jordan is going for bronze shortly and can be watched on ESPN360. Kennedy, Metcalf,and Varner were eliminated without getting to wrestle another match (I wish they'd go to a double elimination format).

Luke Moore added to this discussion on September 9, 2014

The format for international wrestling is such a joke. Why are they in such a hurry to finish? 0-1 and your tourney is over after dedicating your life and training, and traveling to Turkey? For one match?

And the 15 minute wait time??? What a joke. Just another example of how wrestling does nothing to promote itself to the average consumer!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 9, 2014

As I said on Twitter, the only thing this tourney proves is that our best are not as good as the best from Iran and Russia. We need true double elimination to see how we stack up.

FILA doesn't want true double elim. because the carry system allows more countries to medal.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on September 9, 2014

JB sprained his MCL during his first round match. No excuses but he clearly wasn't the same in his semi-final match. olympictalk.nbcsports.com you can view his semi-final match. JB is now 92-2 in his international career! Congrats on the bronze and representing your country on the highest level.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on September 9, 2014

I think a healthy JB is heads above everyone. Look what he did in the Bronze match on one leg.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 11, 2014

GOLDEN AGAIN! Adeline Gray captures second World title

TASHKENT, Uzbekistan – The second time was even sweeter for Adeline Gray.

The 23-year-old Gray capped a memorable performance with a 2-1 win over Brazil’s Aline da Silva to capture a gold medal at the World Championships on Thursday night at the Gymnastics Palace.

Gray turned in a superb tournament by scoring five wins in a tough road to the title in women’s freestyle at 75 kg/165 lbs.

Gray won her second World title after also striking World gold in 2012.

“I don’t know if women get the same credit for winning the 2012 World championship,” Gray said. “It’s the same year as the Olympics and some countries don’t come. In my heart, I consider it a World championship. I definitely earned the World championship this year. I’m the best girl in the World and that’s an amazing feeling.”

Gray scored what proved to be the winning points against da Silva by shooting in on a single-leg attack and finishing for a takedown midway through the first period.

Gray was put on the shot clock for passivity late in the match even though da Silva was wrestling defensively the entire time. The Brazil wrestler was awarded a point after Gray failed to score in 30 seconds, but Gray held her off in the final 20 seconds to prevail 2-1.

Gray had beaten da Silva, ranked 10th in the World, 7-0 in the New York AC tournament in November.

“She’s always dangerous,” Gray said. “I tried to play it a little more safe this time. But a win’s a win. I got that gold medal and that’s what matters.”

Gray, who also won World bronze medals in 2011 and 2013, becomes just the fourth American woman to win at least four medals at the World Championships. She joins Kristie Marano, Trish Saunders and Shannon Williams in that exclusive group. Marano won nine World medals while Saunders and Williams won four each.

Gray joins Saunders and Marano as the only Americans to win two World titles in women’s freestyle. Saunders won four World titles and Marano two.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 11, 2014

Re: Adeline Gray.

That's awesome.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on September 12, 2014

Elena P going for gold. Our women's team is producing!

Bisek beat the Russian Olympic champ Vlasov in the rd of 16. He lost in the quarters, but the Croatian just made the finals, so Bisek has the chance to wrestle for a medal.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on September 12, 2014

Bisek finds a way! Late takedown and turn after getting thrown to wrestle for bronze!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 12, 2014

Very nice news Mike. Thanks for the updates. I feel better about Greco with Matt Lindland in charge.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next