Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Russ Hellickson
Jason Johnstone added to this discussion on September 26, 2014

I have not looked at this forum in many years, but randomly checked it tonight to see if there was any discussion regarding Russ' induction in the The Ohio State University athletic Hall of Fame and was surprised to see that there hasn't been any mention of it. Maybe it is possible that many are unaware or maybe this forum has gone downhill, but I think that everyone needs to recognize Russ for his achievements and his contribution to Ohio wrestling.
I don't have enough time to write about all my experiences with Russ, but I do want to say that he is the most amazing individual I have ever met. With all the terrible stories we have heard in sport over the past few months, acknowledging Russ for everything he has done has become even more important. Whether you were a scholarship athlete who was a 4-time state champ or a walk on who just wanted to be part of something, Russ treated you like his own. He is compassionate, motivating, and one hell of a coach and mentor. Over the last few years of his career, he took a lot of grief from trolls on this forum and others like it, but all was undeserving. I am learning as a coach myself, that this is the case most of the time. Our under performance was no fault of Russ or his staff. It was simply due to us being young and not completely understanding what it took to get to that next level. We need to step back and remember that the team that you see at Ohio State today, a team that will be in the hunt for a NCAA championship, would not be what it is without Russ, even though he is almost 10 years removed from the program.
During the recruiting process myself and J had many options. I was set on going to Penn State and J had all but signed his letter of intent to Wisconsin. After our official visit, we were so impressed with Russ and the compassion he had for his athletes that we completely changed direction and ended up at Ohio State (which ended up being the best decision I could've made and I think J would say the same).
I want to make sure everyone understands that this is not me saying that Tom and Lou had nothing to do with the success, because without them, the buckeyes wouldn't have got to the next level, but Russ laid the groundwork. Lance and Reece wanted to be apart of the success they saw coming. Everyone saw J and Mikey win, logan followed and now we are here today with the Jordan's, Tomasello, Johnni, Demas, Courts, and Snyder.
If Russ had not sold J on the potential that could be at Ohio State, I truly believe that we wouldn't be watching Logan go for his 4th title as a buckeye. The list of the greats that Russ has mentored is endless. The whole Disabato family, Kenny, Coleman, Rex, Mitch Clark, Johnny Clark, Marinelli, Tommy, Kaplan, Jaggers, J.D. and 100s of others. All of these people consider Russ a mentor and role model, but more importantly a friend. I know that Russ will never read this, but I want to tell him thank you and congratulations from everyone in buckeye nation. Without his influence, none of us would be where we are today. Go Bucks!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 27, 2014

Jason: ten thousand thanks for posting. I'm sure I speak for others on here when I say keep contributing!

As for the topic at hand, very few on here have the intimate, first-hand knowledge with and concerning Russ like you do. We have Rex who is an active post-er, but registered names like Tommy Rowlands, Mitch Clark, J Jaggers (I would assume he is instructed or not allowed to post) and even a couple DiSabatos have only posted a handful of times combined.

They, along with yourself, are the ones who are going to be able to contribute meaningful stories about the man Russ Hellickson. My knowledge of him looks like this: he's a silver medalist, he coached the Buckeyes for a long time, and messed up his knee celebrating when Tommy pinned Crum (Oklahoma) in OT, after the team was down 4 in a dual meet.

My congrats to Russ would be very empty, or at best, quite shallow.

If ever you return to this topic and read this, type up one memory of Russ from a time period - personally or team-wise - that wasn't the best time; a low point for you or the team, and how Russ showed his character. Type another that reflects on Russ during what you think was the height of something, again, be it person or team. I'm sure I speak for our community when I say we'd love to read it!!!

I usually hear statements like "Russ is the greatest. You have no idea." I know! But I want to know. Leaving me with a tease like that should be a crime!!!

Again, thanks for posting this tribute. I'd say 99.9% of us don't know the man Russ Hellickson like you do.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 27, 2014

Nice to read commentary from someone associated with the program--as opposed to those of us who sit in the audience and have a conversation.

Particularly interesting to hear that J was ready to sign with Wiscy while JJ was set to attend PSU.

I do think, however, that it's unfair to call "trolls" those who were critical of Hellickson. It's important to distinguish between those who made horrible self serving comments while cloaked in anonymity as opposed to people offering heartfelt opinions and signing their names.

That said--congrats to Coach Hellickson. He is a great man and deserves all the accolades he's now receiving.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on September 27, 2014

I remember when I had two extra tickets to Nationals one year, and I was looking for anyone who might want them. I called Russ, and he found someone who needed tickets.

Russ also found a room for me at Nationals when I was having trouble finding a place close to the venue. That room was part of his block of rooms, as I remember. I asked him if he needed any kind of deposit to prove I was actually going to attend the NCAA's that year. "No," he said. "I trust you."

He didn't know me from Adam, but there was no way I was going to let him down. He was the kind of man who made you want his respect.

Given my peripheral involvement with him, and my respect for him, I can only imagine how his wrestlers felt about him.

I do recall reading something that Blake Kaplan said about Russ, though.

"I'd run through a brick wall for him."

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 27, 2014

hi JJ, i am glad Russ is being honored at halftime of the football game, deserving. i hope its a great day for him.

i'm not going to argue about it however i don't think this statement by you is accurate, "We need to step back and remember that the team that you see at Ohio State today, a team that will be in the hunt for a NCAA championship, would not be what it is without Russ, even though he is almost 10 years removed from the program."

Thats my opinion anyway. Despite achievments over Russ years, Ohio st did finish last in the Big Ten tourn the 2 years prior to Tom Ryan, that did him in with his AD. ---- AND Hank is right when he said, "I do think, however, that it's unfair to call 'trolls' those who were critical of Hellickson."

but i separate all that from the Russ i got to know. A good man, a smart man, a very interesting man and a self-made great freestyle wrestler -- a gracious man, despite a couple different opinions he and i had, Russ always greets me and i greet him. ...s/BobP

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 27, 2014

Bob,
As I read his post, what I got from that comment, today's team wouldn't be what it is without Russ, was that without his efforts to land the two J's, many other recruits may not have followed. Jagger's was a monster recruit for him -- and I think lead to many others following suit.

I tend to be more on your side of the coin but I can see his thinking.

His statement about "trolls" on this board is way off base.

Concerning Russ -- I've only heard positive things said about him from people who've interacted with him.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on October 2, 2014

JJ thanks for the post. I hope you come back more often than every few years.

The lack of notoriety for Coach Hellicskon's induction into the Buckeye Hall of Fame has more to do with the failings of the SID at tOSU than anyone on this board.

I searched this forum for any post that mentioned Russ, and found nothing negative written about him here, going as far back as 2007. While I have seen plenty of other forums that have bashed him, I think Russ would be the first to tell you, that it comes with the territory.

There is an old saying... "If you want to take credit for the rain, then you've gotta take blame for the drought."

Congratulations Coach Hellickson... The Buckeye wrestling faithful thank you for your contributions!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 7, 2014

If you're on Twitter, Coach Hellickson's induction speech is going around. Pretty legit.

► Add to the Discussion