Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State captains
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

Saw on Twitter that the Buckeyes voted for captains tonight. VERY surprised.
Logan Stieber - duh.
Nate Tomasello - Wow, but a notoriously hard worker.
Bo Jordan - Wow again! A second redshirt freshman.
Kyle Snyder - A TRUE freshman! Are you kidding me.

I have to say, surprised that Hunter and Demas were overlooked, but super excited that the team and coaches have enough confidence in our younger wrestlers to make them captains.

Can't wait!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

Who votes them as captains? Teammates or coaches?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 10, 2014

That's very surprising. Hunter, Courts, Martin and Dijulius are Juniors. Demas is a senior. Tavanello is in his 3rd year.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

Leaders rise to the top. People naturally gravitate towards them. Being a more senior member does not make one a leader. One should not be voted to lead simply because of years of service. These guys are obviously the face of what the Buckeyes want to be and the team and coaches agree. Good for them!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

Ohio State Wrestling
‏@wrestlingbucks
After a hard workout the team voted for team captains! @_LogieBear_ @Snyder_man45 @Bobo_Jordan @Franchise_Nate #WT3

I would also submit that a non-starter could be voted as a captain. Some guys may never have the physical prowess to be a D1 contender, but they may have the best attitude and work ethic on the team. They well could be the guy behind the scenes pushing others to a title. That's a guy that should be considered to be a team captain. Those are the guys that solidify team and individual championships. They matter, even though they may rarely take the mat under the big lights.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

I'm very surprised about Hunter. already a 2x AA. Even if he's not a vocal leader, unless he's been badly slacking how is he not a captain?

Don't answer--at tne end of the day it's an in room decision. I get it. But it is a statement from the team about how they currently perceive individuals. Also, that can change.

Is it just me or does Snyder look tiny in that pic on twitter?

Hunter is also the humble kind of kid that may well have said, "Thanks, but choose someone else." Not everyone wants the title "Team Captain". I'd be willing to bet he just flat turned it down.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"Hunter is also the humble kind of kid that may well have said, "Thanks, but choose someone else." Not everyone wants the title "Team Captain". I'd be willing to bet he just flat turned it down."

LOL! I think you're kidding, right?

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"Hunter is also the humble kind of kid that may well have said, "Thanks, but choose someone else." Not everyone wants the title "Team Captain". I'd be willing to bet he just flat turned it down."

LOL! I think you're kidding, right?"

No, listen to the kid talk. He's a pure competitor. But then, he would rather see Logan win than he win. I think Hunter is on his own journey for his own reasons. I don't think being a team captain would matter to him. It's not like being a team captain is the pinnacle of life. I just think Hunter has a different view on things.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

"I'm very surprised about Hunter. already a 2x AA. Even if he's not a vocal leader, unless he's been badly slacking how is he not a captain?

Don't answer--at tne end of the day it's an in room decision. I get it. But it is a statement from the team about how they currently perceive individuals. Also, that can change.

Is it just me or does Snyder look tiny in that pic on twitter?"

Yeah! He looks like a tine 220 pounder who will be wrestling 197 lb class!

I sure as heck don't want him attacking me! - I know I can't even run fast enough to avoid him! - That's Scary!

"

Is it just me or does Snyder look tiny in that pic on twitter?"

Yeah! He looks like a tiny 220 pounder who will be wrestling 197 lb class!

I sure as heck don't want him attacking me! - I know I can't even run fast enough to avoid him! - That's Scary!

Last edited by Pat Altvater on October 11, 2014; edited 1 time in total

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

I was worried that he might have trouble making 197 but it appears that he has trimmed down nicely so he looks ready to go. He appears to be shorter than Bo Jordan who is at 165, so I guess the weight cut did indeed work out for him.

"That's very surprising. Hunter, Courts, Martin and Dijulius are Juniors. Demas is a senior. Tavanello is in his 3rd year."

Hank: I aggree with everything you've said on this site (except the comment that Snyder looks tiny!)

I think it's a tremendous compliment that Tomasello, Jordan, and Snyder or considered by their team and coaches as worthy as being leaders of this team that is being promoted as a potential national champion.

I am also tremdously surprised that Hunter wasn't chosen. As you have suggested, his continued devotion to the team, his taking a redshirt last year for Ian to wrestle his Senior season, his near perfection on the mat as he has only lost one NCAA match is his last two years of competition. Those feats speak as 'leadership by example' and clearly deem him qualified as a team leader. Perhaps there are some off the mat issues, that us commoners are not aware of, but I certainly hope not. Nevertheless, I expect Hunter to return to the mat this year with a fiery and determined demeanor to chase down a NCAA individual, and team championship.

By the way, to my knowledge, the last redshirt wrestler at OSU to be named a team captain was a guy named Logan, and I think that decision worked out pretty well!

Alex Creech added to this discussion on October 11, 2014

I think some of you are reading way too much into why hunter isn't a captain. It doesn't define who he is. Those wondering whether there are troubles in the room or off the mat with Hunter is a little irresponsible.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next