Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Watching TV is good for Kid's health
Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on October 28, 2014

Hello,

I've been having trouble getting my kids interested in doing organized sports or even going out in the yard to play catch or to kick a ball around.

The family down the street has all their children doing tons of sports activities.

One difference between our two families is that we do not watch any TV while the other family are sports junkies and follow all the local teams on TV, rarely missing a broadcast Orioles or Ravens game.

Thinking back to my childhood, we would always watch Indians and Browns games and I think that the players became heroes for me, spurring me to go out for teams and try to emulate their performance on the playing field. Because we don't watch TV my kids do not admire any sports heroes and do not seem to want to do any sports.

I had thought not watching TV would give us more outdoor athletic activity time but the opposite is true. It seems like watching sports on TV is the catalyst for kids wanting to do sports.

Your thoughts?

Bruce

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Watching TV is good for Kid's health
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 29, 2014

My youngest yesterday came up to me and asked what channel ESPN was. I put it on. He then grabbed a foam baseball and acted like he was playing baseball. When the football highlights came on he grabbed his football and was throwing it around the house. He does play organized sports including tackle football, wrestle and soccer.

I think it really depends on the kid and what they like. My oldest son doesn't care for sports that much. I do make him wrestle though for the exercise and getting out of the house.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion