Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: The 2014-15 season is here!
Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 1, 2014

The attached article is from InterMat's 'Foleys Mailbag', where he was asked a couple of questions about the Bucks and provided his perspective answers.

Q: Has a team that has never won before (Ohio State) ever had so many potential breaks go their way before? Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota and Big Ten tourney all at home, and the seniors those three teams lost should make tOSU the favorite.
-- @wrestlingnomad

Foley: I think "breaks" implies a lot of luck, and though some was probably involved, Tom Ryan and his staff also positioned themselves to be in the 2015 title race through very competent on-the-mat coaching and top-level recruiting. Also, know that the redshirt game also plays a role in when certain athletes are eligible. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Coach Ryan had this season circled for years as his first real chance to win an NCAA title and prepped his lineup and redshirts according to that possibility.

Now, the scheduling was a bit of luck. We know that teams perform better at home and with so many of their top opponents faced in Ohio the team will be in position to earn wins and therefore better seeds at the B1G Tournament. The logic would then progress that better seeds at the conference tournament would result in better seeds and better performances at NCAAs -- not an unlikely outcome, but also riddled with possibilities.

As for Logan Stieber, I think that Ohio State will benefit greatly from the distraction of his fourth title hunt. The pressure to win the NCAA crown won't be shared equally by members of the Ohio State wrestling team. Stieber and his star power will dominate the news and I think provide extra room to youngsters like Kyle Snyder to improve throughout the season without a strong outside focus.

Still, there is no question this is the Buckeyes' year to make it happen, and from the outside everything has lined up. Now the issue becomes execution.

Q: How many undefeated NCAA champs will we have this year?
-- @koatig?

Foley: Two. Logan Stieber and Gabe Dean.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: The 2014-15 season is here!
Kim Stone added to this discussion on November 2, 2014

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"Room is booked not paid yet. I say we take a bus or hitchhike."

I say hitchhike! I'll find out if Kim Stone is driving through... I would GLADLY ride along in that caravan!!!

Woo-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! One day closer!"

Gee Thanks Mark! This made my day!!! I'm going but not sure on mode of transportation. I cant wait!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2