Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Kent State Preview
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 11, 2014

Ohio State v. Kent State Preview

Nathan Tomasello v. Edilberto Vinas - Vinas was at MSU, where he went 2-2 and failed to place, losing to Austin Assad and winning one match by default. At Brockport Vinas finished 3-2, good enough for seventh place. I expect Tomasello to have his way with Vinas and pick up his first dual victory, this one by tech.
5-0 Ohio State

Johnni DiJulius v. Mack McGuire - McGuire was not at MSU, but did wrestle at Brockport, finishing as runner-up, getting majored by Cory Brewer in the finals. DiJulius and McGuire wrestled twice last year, with JDJ winning both matches, both by 2 points, one in OT. I’m really hoping that JDJ opens up his offense this year. I think he gets the decision here.
8-0 Ohio State

Logan Stieber v. Kyle Bauer - Bauer has wrestled in 2 opens so far, and made 2 finals, winning at Brockport and losing 1-0 at MSU. Assuming Logan’s medical issue is cleared up, I expect a tech here, probably in the second period. If Logan cannot go, the only other 141 on the roster is Sal Marandino. They could bump up one of the 133s if necessary.
13-0 Ohio State

Hunter Stieber/Jake Ryan v. Michael DePalma/Nathan Valentine - Given that neither Hunter nor DePalma have wrestled this year, no idea who we might actually see match up on Thursday. Hunter versus anyone is a Buckeye win, whereas I would favor DePalma over Ryan. I would favor Ryan over the KSU backup. If neither Stieber wrestles, all of a sudden we could have ourselves a match.
13-3 Ohio State

Josh Demas v. Ian Miller - The premiere matchup of the night. While 133 and 149 could match up previous NCAA qualifiers, neither will be as anticipated as this one. Miller wrestled at the NWCA All Star event, losing to James Green. Demas won the MSU Open over Brian Murphy. I am favoring Miller here, but close. A Demas win wouldn’t be a shocker, but I think the rust is still there and Miller wins by 3-4.
13-6 Ohio State

Bo Jordan v. Tyler Buckwalter - Buckwalter was 5th at the MAC Championships last year and 5th at Brockport this year. I think Bo techs him in the second.
18-6 Ohio State

Mark Martin v. Caleb Marsh - Martin beat Marsh 4-2 last year. If Martin is healthy this year I could see him taking a leap. I think he opens widens the gap a little this year. Solid decision.
21-6 Ohio State

Kenny Courts v. Mike Vollant/Cory Campbell - Not sure who goes here for Kent. Vollant took 8th at Brockport, while Campbell took 6th at MSU and did not place at Brockport. However, the one common opponent beat Campbell by 2 and majored Vollant. I don’t expect it to matter, as I think Courts gets the major on either, and, if he gets that tilt going, a tech is not out of the question.
25-6 Ohio State

Kyle Snyder v. Cole Baxter - Baxter took 1st at Brockport, but that only required winning 2 matched. Baxter lost to Heflin twice last year, both close. He lost to Wellington twice by 1 point and held J’Den Cox to a decision as well. He didn’t have a bonus point loss all year last year. I think that changes right away, and Snyder gets his takedown game going in this one.
29-6 Ohio State

Nick Tavanello v. Mimmo Lytle - Lytle took 4th at Brockport and 8th at MSU, while Tavanello took 5th at MSU after an atrocious first round match there. Tav beat Lytle 3-1 last year, and, despite his shaky start, I think he’s still a step ahead of Lytle.
32-6 Ohio State

Overall
This match was super close a few years ago, with the Bucks winning on Logan’s bonus if I recall. Now, the Buckeyes have widened the gap, and a shutout would be less surprising than a loss. Ohio State opens up the dual season in style. Wish I could be there, but the Mizzou match will have to do.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

A couple of little birdies told me that there will be something new this year in the way of introductions.

If you are old enough to remember what the Chicago Bulls did in the early 1990s, and the impact that had on the experience of a home game, I think you will get the idea of what my parakeets were trying to relay to me.

Parakeet Ryan went more in depth than parakeet Tom, but both let me know the introductions are top notch, and are sure to bring the crowd to its feet.

Go Buckeyes!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

Jason: Excellent evaluation with good supporting history!

I don't disagree with you a bit, but I would really prefer to see Hunter and Logan get out there on the mat and get their seasons started!

Interesting fact: Through two tournaments, albeit of moderate strength, the Buckeye starters have only lost one match so far this year, and that was Tavenello's early loss to a guy from Tiffin University at MSU, which he followed up with 4 wins to get third.

Eric Jaynes added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

I was surprised at Tavanello's loss to the Tiffin wrestler until I realized it was the Oregon Clay heavyweight he wrestled in the finals his senior year. In that particular match, Gray appeared to be the better of the two and has probably wanted another chance for awhile to prove that to himself.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

Anthony Tutolo bear Vinas last week, he may be the starter for KSU at 125 and I would consider him high upside.

Just curious - why would you expect Martin to improve quicker than Marsh at 174?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"...Just curious - why would you expect Martin to improve quicker than Marsh at 174?"

Buckeye homer???????????

ps: Tutolo is a stud.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

Quote from Eric Jaynes's post:

"I was surprised at Tavanello's loss to the Tiffin wrestler until I realized it was the Oregon Clay heavyweight he wrestled in the finals his senior year. In that particular match, Gray appeared to be the better of the two and has probably wanted another chance for awhile to prove that to himself."

There's no way to overstate this fact. I'm sure Garrett Gray was far more motivated to win that bout.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

I didn't see that about Tutulo. I think he is the better option, but I still think that Tomasello gets the tech.

In regards to Martin, I think he was hampered by injury more than we know last year. I think that is more of the basis for his improvement than anything else. But, I will say that he has a better room to work in and a better training situation. Marsh lost his best workout partner in Wheeler as well.

And yes, I am a Buckeye homer!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

There are 3 Buckeyes in the same category that seem to have battled health issues over the last couple of years that has greatly hindered their development: Mark Martin, Josh Demas, and Kenny Courts.

When I look at their rankings, I think that polls tend to overlook and down-grade them a little bit. But, on the other hand, we have never seen them 'completely healthy' long enough to properly evaluate what their true potential really is.

After taking an MMF in the last match at MSU has me questioning Mark again. And, Kenny was apparently held out of the MSU Open because of medical issues.

Holy Cow, we are two weeks into the season and we are already concerned about injuries to: Logan, Hunter, Mark, Kenny, and Johnni, and Josh is coming off surgery this year. - That's a concerning development to an otherwise productive early season.

Good Luck and Stay Healthy Buckeyes!

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

The last few times Tomasello an Tutulo met they where 1 and 2 point matches so I wouldn't expect a tech.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

I would say that Kent wrestlers traditionally improve more over time, simply because they come in with fewer credentials. Ohio State, Ok. State, Penn State, etc are all dealing with multiple time state champs, so often times the room for growth is lower.

If Marsh and Martin were close last year, I'm guessing it will be close again.

Would be a shame for Hunter and Logan to have to miss this one due to injury.

In general, I believe the gap has widened between OSU and Kent the last few years, as OSU has become a true national champ contender. We'll find out tomorrow! Fun stuff.

Jason - thanks for writing the summary, definitely helpful.

John Ice added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

http://www.wrestlestats.com/Team/DualComparison/36/kent-state/55/ohio-state

Not sure these are the matches that are going to happen.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

Finally figured out where to watch it online: BTN Plus $9.95/month for a single school or $14.95/month for all of the BiG.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

On yappi someone posted Bo and Hunter wouldn't be wrestling anyone know if this is true or not?

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on November 12, 2014

Quote from John Ice's post:

"http://www.wrestlestats.com/Team/DualComparison/36/kent-state/55/ohio-state

Not sure these are the matches that are going to happen."

Certainly not the first one. Alfredo wrestles for Cleveland State now!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next