Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Bucks Recruits Sign
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 20, 2014

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/111914aaa.html

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 21, 2014

Flo has them as the 4th best recruiting class in the early signing period right now. Another stellar recruiting class by TR and company.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 21, 2014

What I like most about these recruits, besides the fact that they are all excellent athletes, is how well they fit into the framework of the existing Buckeyes squad and address the most needed weights for the near future.

I would expect that the starters at 125 (Nate Tomasello), 165 (Bo Jordan), and 197 (Kyle Snyder) will be entrenched at their weight classes for the next 3-1/2 years, barring injury. Let's look at the other classes:
133 - Johnni DiJulius, Jr., Current Starter - Jose Rodriguez Colon should be in a position to work the practice mat with Johnni next year, wrestle the grey-shirt season, and step in to the starting role in 2016-7 as a Red-shirt Freshman starter.

141 - Logan Stieber, Sr. (soon to be 4-time National Champion), current starter, Keshawn Hayes should be in a position to step in to the starting role in 2015-6 as a True Freshman starter.

149 - Hunter Stieber, Jr., current starter. Jake Ryan and Cody Burcher both have two full years to hopefully develop into starters. If the coaches don't see the development they are after, they could target a recruit here next year.

157 - Josh Demas, Sr., current starter. Micah Jordan in wrestling the grey-shirt schedule of tournaments this year to prepare for this spot next year.

174 - Mark Martin, Jr., current starter. Ryan Harris and Seth Williams were brought in at this weight last year. Harris is wrestling the gray-shirt schedule now, we haven't heard much of Williams, I assume that he is re-habbing some type of injury? - I would hope that one of these two guys will surface as a starter in two years.

184 - Kenny Courts, Jr., current starter. Myles Martin should be in a position to work the practice mat with Kenny next year, wrestle the grey-shirt season, and step in to the starting role in 2016-7 as a Red-shirt Freshman starter. - Kollin Moore is wrestling 182 this year, he could be in a position to prepare to be a backup at 184 and 197 for the next few years.

285 - Nick Tavenello, Jr., current starter. Thomas Haines is probably red-shirting this year, but could be ready to compete with Nick next year and beyond.

Again, I think that the coaches have done a great job in recruiting to meet the biggest immediate needs of the team!

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on November 21, 2014

at 174 look out for Mark Hall...

William Danforth added to this discussion on November 21, 2014

Quote from Marlo Stanfield's post:

"at 174 look out for Mark Hall..."

That would be nice. :)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 21, 2014

Good synopsis Pat but remember there are more recruits to come. Also, I've got a feeling about Kollin Moore. Runnerup at Super 32 is significant. This kids best days may well be in front of him.

As for Mark Hall...wow...he'd be a great get. But given that BoJo could slide up to 174 at some point, could he be a 165 for a few years? Mason Manville might make more sense assuming he stays a bit smaller. Either one of these two would be tremendous.

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on November 21, 2014

I believe Hall is already committed to Penn State.

And I know for sure OSU interested in Manville. One of the coaches was saying he wants him in the room just based on his name alone.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 22, 2014

Quote from Kevin Mount's post:

"I believe Hall is already committed to Penn State.

And I know for sure OSU interested in Manville. One of the coaches was saying he wants him in the room just based on his name alone."

Hall has not officially committed anywhere.

When I look at Bucks, I see a need for a 165 in the near future unless BoJo plans to stay down for four years or one of their prospects rapidly develops.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 22, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

When I look at Bucks, I see a need for a 165 in the near future unless BoJo plans to stay down for four years or one of their prospects rapidly develops."

Hank: I know what you are saying about Bo 'being a growing boy'!

But the Bucks have recruited well at 174 and 184 the last two years. At 174, we have Dom Prezzia, Ryan Harris, and Seth Williams. And at 184 we have Kollin Moore and Myles Martin.

And anyone considering sliding up to 197 better expect to be a career backup for the next 3-1/2 years.

It looks to me like they need to keep Bo at 165 for a while! There is starting to be a fair amount of depth in the upper weights for OSU. - Not quite as deep as PSU or OKSU or IOWA or MINNY, but we're moving in that direction.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 22, 2014

Pat: Have you forgotten Nick Roberts? Pretty good recruit but Bucks didn't hesitate to nab Tomasello. Harris, Prezia and Williams all have upside but Coach Ryan can and will recruit the best possible guys.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 22, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Pat: Have you forgotten Nick Roberts? Pretty good recruit but Bucks didn't hesitate to nab Tomasello. Harris, Prezia and Williams all have upside but Coach Ryan can and will recruit the best possible guys."

TRUE! And that is what they have to continue to do to get to the next level with the other top tier teams. Tom is getting as proficient at recruiting as Urban Meyer.

► Add to the Discussion