Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Virginia Tech Live Stream
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"NT vs. J.D. match:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/video/753964-125lbs-Match-Joey-Dance-Virginia-Tech-vs-Nathan-Tomasello-Ohio-State#.VHJjjyh66Wc"

I suspect that NaTo never gets snapped back again; I'll bet he was pissed...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

"

"NT vs. J.D. match:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/video/753964-125lbs-Match-Joey-Dance-Virginia-Tech-vs-Nathan-Tomasello-Ohio-State#.VHJjjyh66Wc"

I suspect that NaTo never gets snapped back again; I'll bet he was pissed..."

I was impressed that after his match, he maintained his composure and stayed out there for his teammates.

This was a great match for him. One the one hand, he found out that he is in the match with any title contender. On the other hand, he found out that one tiny lapse in position will cost you a lot against the contenders. He was in control. But when you make a tiny error against the likes of Dance, Garret, Waters, or Delgado...your lead will evaporate. It was his official welcome to the big dance. For now he needs to clear his head, get some rest, and get ready to do it again tomorrow.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

"

"NT vs. J.D. match:

I was impressed that after his match, he maintained his composure and stayed out there for his teammates.

This was a great match for him. One the one hand, he found out that he is in the match with any title contender. On the other hand, he found out that one tiny lapse in position will cost you a lot against the contenders. He was in control. But when you make a tiny error against the likes of Dance, Garret, Waters, or Delgado...your lead will evaporate. It was his official welcome to the big dance. For now he needs to clear his head, get some rest, and get ready to do it again tomorrow."

I read on another forum both teams will be at the same tournament in 2 weeks...

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

"

"

"NT vs. J.D. match:

This was a great match for him. One the one hand, he found out that he is in the match with any title contender. On the other hand, he found out that one tiny lapse in position will cost you a lot against the contenders. He was in control. But when you make a tiny error against the likes of Dance, Garret, Waters, or Delgado...your lead will evaporate. It was his official welcome to the big dance. For now he needs to clear his head, get some rest, and get ready to do it again tomorrow."

Well said. And the lackluster officiating played a role in this match as well, IMHO. NaTo attacked 95% of the time. There was still a Blacksburg bias in this match and it showed in the speed of the stalemate call and the lack of a stall call in the last minute of the match.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

So what exactly is wrong with Bo Jordan and Hunter? When are the expected back?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

Quote from Brian Morrow's post:

"So what exactly is wrong with Bo Jordan and Hunter? When are the expected back?"

Bo is alleged to have broken a toe. Hunter is a mystery.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"So what exactly is wrong with Bo Jordan and Hunter? When are the expected back?"

Bo is alleged to have broken a toe. Hunter is a mystery."

Got to say I am a little concerned. Just how quite they are being about both. Do we know if either is headed to Vegas?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

I saw that Bo made the trip with the team, not sure why, but they were missed today. I wonder if Martin thought the match was over when he got reversed, and just relaxed?? I remember Leonce Crump from Okla. did that with his OT match with Tommy Rowlands, and basically pinned himself, not realizing the match was still on.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 23, 2014

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Bo is alleged to have broken a toe. Hunter is a mystery."

Got to say I am a little concerned. Just how quite they are being about both. Do we know if either is headed to Vegas?"

Coach Ryan said they will be back mid dec early Jan. There is 4 months left in the season so no need to rush unless a 100%

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

As much as I want to see them wrestle, we need them to be 100%. So we lose a few duals, it will be worth it in March. I remember last year when Heflin had that walking boot on for awhile, and he went on to have a terrific year.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

"

"

"NT vs. J.D. match:

To further that point, I'm certain Nate was very disappointed. However, he walked to the center and shook hands with Dance, walked over and did the same with Dresser. His reaction is exactly why he is a young team captain. Nate will be just fine.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I saw that Bo made the trip with the team, not sure why, but they were missed today. I wonder if Martin thought the match was over when he got reversed, and just relaxed?? I remember Leonce Crump from Okla. did that with his OT match with Tommy Rowlands, and basically pinned himself, not realizing the match was still on."

Do I remember? Heck yes!!! One of my FAVORITE Buckeye memories OF ALL TIME!!!!!!

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

There is a forum on Theopenmat titled Down goes Tomosello.

First post is welcome to AA wrestling Nate.

Dude acts like Nate got crushed.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

I watched two matches, NaTo and Snyder.

Right now, one big variation in the way they wrestle.

Progression.

Some people call it chain wrestling; I prefer progression as it clearly indicates what is happening. Things progress forward from a certain point. A chain is just something that is linked together. A progression is devised and planned. A chain connotates sometimes random events that are interlinked. Moving on.

Nate is handfighting into his leg attacks. It is replicable!!! He did it multiple times in getting to Dance's legs. So, the setups and attacks he is showing are progressions i.e. 1-2-3-4. It is a repetitive attack with variation to both sides.(of which he will get even better and more efficient at.) The attack he is using in my opinion is one of the best ways to break an opponent’s position. It goes something like short tie, collar/wrist, post or single opposite side. This type of attack is rewarded at the NCAA tournament, meaning that I feel attack style wrestling is generally more rewarded by officials and on the scoreboard at the NCAA tournament than slow paced counter wrestling which gets precedence in duals.

Obviously, NaTo needs to tweak a couple things regarding finishes. But if he is that deep on shots, a finish is in the works if supplied with the right adjustments. As far as development goes, his scrambling will likely be his Achilles heel and the way for guys to slow him down. I see his ceiling at about a 3rd place finish at NCAA this year. That would be a huge accomplishment. I think getting by Delgado and Garret and their respective places on the development curve is almost insurmountable. At his present level of development and growth going forward, he is going to be a multiple time finalist and a Champ.

Snyder is much more organic in nature. He wrestles from the positions that are presented. His attacks are excellent but rely heavily on brute force and positional awareness. He does not have the same level of development in his handfighting as NaTo. Which is also why he might be considered a slow starter. The Virginia Tech wrestler scored with two set ups that I teach and used back in the early 90s. The first one is an inside tie/elbow lift high crotch. The second is a Bobby Douglas special, overtie/opposite hand post into a single. I consider these a best practices type of attacks. They were done well and Snyder’s hands were out of position. Snyder did a good job riding on top, but it was just a ride. That is ok but you need to do something that makes you look offensive on top.

Had a conversation with Ferd Miller, Ian’s dad about the All Star match. Green rode Ian with a hip ride that shows offense (neck wrench). A referee interprets this as offense and won’t call stalling on top. This is gaming the rules. This is by design. This is Manning or Snyder influenced. That is winning. When two guys are that close in skill and athleticism, it comes down to a detail of preparation which influences outcome. Ian gets the opportunity to address that situation between now and the next time they meet. If it goes unaddressed, then the same situation is likely to occur.

Again, I am a fan of these guys. I believe in objective analysis and don’t believe in sugarcoats, hype or BS. There is always a reason for W or an L. You can work really hard and keep on believing, but at the end of the day fundamental aspects of wrestling need to change in order to improve.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

I remember another Ohio State team losing to Virginia Tech. I think they're doing ok right now.

I thought the ref was horrible there and that NaTO was pushing the pace the entire match. If he finishes some of those shots faster he he's the winner and it's not even close.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next