Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Virginia Tech Live Stream
Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

I hope Nate & Dance meet in Vegas. I think Dance has shown his hand to Nate: don't get sucked back off the whistle & protect your own legs when you have the opponents leg in the air. I am confident Lou R. will have the answers to those moves Dance likes to use.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"...

Again, I am a fan of these guys. I believe in objective analysis and don’t believe in sugarcoats, hype or BS. There is always a reason for W or an L. You can work really hard and keep on believing , but at the end of the day fundamental aspects of wrestling need to change in order to improve."

I sense frustration/angst/disappointment/contempt - something - for these oft-given mantras, be it Ohio State or otherwise.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

" You can work really hard and keep on believing, but at the end of the day fundamental aspects of wrestling need to change in order to improve."

You always talk so dirty... Well said sir!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

You are right Mark. The amount of time I wasted just working hard rather than looking at what I was doing still gets my blood boiling. It carries over into my writing. Maybe I should move to Colorado and mellow out ;)

John DiJulius added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

If people are going to lose, now is the time. Especially our young freshman studs. If Tomasello would have pulled out the victory yesterday, is it as eye opening to him what he needs to improve on? We all know every freshman is going to struggle with mat wrestling in the beginning of their college career. Yesterday's loses exposed fixable things. It wasn't a lack of talent anywhere, just better execution and gas tank in certain cases. With the schedule a head, it is going to be a roller coaster for 9 out of 10 of our starters. It is about making the necessary adjustments that come March the majority are healthy and peaking.

And I saw a different Courts wrestle yesterday. one that paced himself in the early going and did win the 3rd by a lot!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

Quote from John DiJulius's post:

"If people are going to lose, now is the time. Especially our young freshman studs. If Tomasello would have pulled out the victory yesterday, is it as eye opening to him what he needs to improve on? We all know every freshman is going to struggle with mat wrestling in the beginning of their college career. Yesterday's loses exposed fixable things. It wasn't a lack of talent anywhere, just better execution and gas tank in certain cases. With the schedule a head, it is going to be a roller coaster for 9 out of 10 of our starters. It is about making the necessary adjustments that come March the majority are healthy and peaking.

And I saw a different Courts wrestle yesterday. one that paced himself in the early going and did win the 3rd by a lot!"

Gees, you sound like a guy with a kid that is a top level D1 kid. Well said from a guy with an experiential perspective. I like it!

JDJ did what he does yesterday and provided his steady 3 team points.

I'm not sure I fully agree with Rex saying that NaTo's ceiling is at 3rd, but I liked the points he made about it and we are going to get to see him against some great guys here in the next month. I want to see him against Waters and Delgado before I conceded he is not in the title race. I'm not nearly as put out by the TD he gave up against Dance as the poor position that gave up those NFs. It does take a beast like Dance to pull that off on a guy like NaTo. I appreciated that he kept pushing for the TD (and getting in on shots) up to the last second. No quit in that young man.

And, while I was not overwhelmed by Snyder's performance, I'm not overly concerned YET. But, to Hank's point earlier, there are a couple of flat out FREAKS at the top of 197. If Snyder comes out flat against Schiller...he's likely to take a loss and get a bloody nose. Schiller is a guy that is man enough not to get pushed around by Snyder, but I don't think his technique is superior. Our defending national champ at 197 is another issue, and we'll get a peek at that soon enough. Snyder has a lot of work to do, but he's the kind of kid that CAN make the adjustments needed to be a Frosh Finalist. We'll see.

Please forgive me, but I'm not ready to concede that Courts has greatly improved. While I agree he won the 3rd yesterday, I'm concerned that the grind of the season is just going to result in more of the same with Kenny. There is no reason for Kenny not to have gotten a MD on that kid yesterday. I have high expectations on Kenny because he is that talented and should be have made the needed adjustments by now to be further in the mix for a title than a generous #8 ranking.

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

Very nice win for Johnni D over DiCamillo. I had DiCamillo to win but certainly am just as happy with the opposite result.

If JDJ can get the first TD in a match he wins. His match management skills are usually very good.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

"You are right Mark. The amount of time I wasted just working hard rather than looking at what I was doing still gets my blood boiling. It carries over into my writing. Maybe I should move to Colorado and mellow out ;)"

I actually love that about you. Your ability to understand what it takes to progress from point A to B has less to do with believing and "hard work" than it does taking a step back and analyzing what when wrong and then taking the time and effort necessary to fix it. Make no mistake - I love that!

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

Nice job by the Bucks bouncing back after a tough loss to V-Tech yesterday! We just need to improve and get healthy.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 24, 2014

Logan's got to be closing in on the all-time pin record at OSU. He had 2 more pins this weekend. Spisak is ranked 12th, he lost to Hunter two years ago 8-5, he's a 3-time NCAA qualifier and Logan just crushed him from the opening whistle. Unreal!! Get healthy Bucks!
WT3 doesn't apply to Logan, he rarely sees the third period.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 25, 2014

That was fantastic coverage. Some of the commentary was a little off but all in all it was great to be able to watch the Buckeyes beat Virginia.

I am well aware college wrestling is a very difficult sport but someone needs to light a fire under Martin. He is a fantastic athlete who needs to trust his ability and open up his offense.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 25, 2014

Nice interview with Tom Ryan on Flo after the Va. dual. He said in the 22 years of coaching he's never seen a dual and the situations that occurred vs Va. Tech. You know he was biting his tongue about the officiating.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on November 25, 2014

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Nice interview with Tom Ryan on Flo after the Va. dual. He said in the 22 years of coaching he's never seen a dual and the situations that occurred vs Va. Tech. You know he was biting his tongue about the officiating."

Tom Ryan on Flo:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251925-Ohio-State-v-UVA/video/754000-Tom-Ryan-Had-Never-Seen-A-Dual-Like-That-Before

Kyle Snyder on Flo:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251925-Ohio-State-v-UVA/video/754001-Last-Time-Kyle-Has-Been-Taken-Down-Twice#.VHUCgGctDmQ

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on November 25, 2014

I just watched the OSU vs. U of Virginia dual. The Bucks were very impressive.

The best thing was watching guys trying (and succeeding) to score right to the very end of their matches. Demas and Tav were two that immediately came to mind.

Everyone fought hard.

That's just the kind of attitude our guys need.

Again, a very impressive performance.

Last edited by Doug Brandt on November 26, 2014; edited 1 time in total

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on November 25, 2014

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Logan's got to be closing in on the all-time pin record at OSU. He had 2 more pins this weekend. Spisak is ranked 12th, he lost to Hunter two years ago 8-5, he's a 3-time NCAA qualifier and Logan just crushed him from the opening whistle. Unreal!! Get healthy Bucks!
WT3 doesn't apply to Logan, he rarely sees the third period."

Logan is tied with J.D. Bergman at 43 pins. He only needs 8 more pins to take the all-time pin record. If he participates in all the events remaining on the schedule, he's got the opportunity for 21 or so more matches to make it happen.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next