Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Virginia Tech Live Stream
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 25, 2014

Great interview with Tom Ryan. He said a number of things I found interesting not the least of which was the idea that NaTo didn't push the pace enough against VaTech. As I watched Tomasello wrestle Dance, my feeling was that he was showing him too much respect. He seemed to hold back a bit. My feeling at the time was that maybe he was concerned about rushing and ending up in a bad position. Coach Ryan, however, implied that NaTo needed to be a bit more aggressive.

Agree? Disagree?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

Back to the Virginia Tech coverage on ESPN3. I only caught the last half and thought the video was fine (except for not showing riding time), but did anyone else get sick of hearing gable and the other guy talk about past iowa teams and wrestlers? was it just me?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"Back to the Virginia Tech coverage on ESPN3. I only caught the last half and thought the video was fine (except for not showing riding time), but did anyone else get sick of hearing gable and the other guy talk about past iowa teams and wrestlers? was it just me?"

Alex: He's Dan Effing Gable! He can talk about whatever he wants. Having him cover the match---regardless of his preparation, announcing skills, etc...--is a privilege--period.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"Back to the Virginia Tech coverage on ESPN3. I only caught the last half and thought the video was fine (except for not showing riding time), but did anyone else get sick of hearing gable and the other guy talk about past iowa teams and wrestlers? was it just me?"

Alex: He's Dan Effing Gable! He can talk about whatever he wants. Having him cover the match---regardless of his preparation, announcing skills, etc...--is a privilege--period."

I always enjoy Hank's take on things but I couldn't disagree more and hopefully you will understand what I mean.
IMO, when you are hired to be a broadcaster, you should do the very best job possible and that doesn't include past glories. Everyone knows who he is, where he coached and who he coached. His "job" is to comment on the wrestling taking place now.
He was a GREAT coach, no question. However, like great athletes who try coaching, it doesn't always work out.
I guess I come at it from the world of cycling. We have two commentators (Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin) who have been at it for a VERY long time. The problem is that they were never very good and, with age, they have gone downhill. Like Dick Goddard on Cleveland weather, no one tells them to move along. Eventually it becomes "tradition".
Could I do it?
Heck no, I know I could not. However, I didn't take the job.
I really don't think the job should be offered just based on who he is. He should be prepared, and his skills should match the job. If he can't do it, then he doesn't belong in the booth.
After all, would you accept me doing the same job but talking about HS wrestling officiating? We know the answer and it is a big NO. (BTW, I am not trying to compare myself with Dan Effing Gable)
Just my $.02!
BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

The only thing I very much disliked from the V Tech and UVA matches telecasts was when the camera man has the camera on one of the coaches while there was wrestling action going on. It's fine during a break, but I don't want to miss wrestling action to look at the coach just because the announcers mentioned his name.

To Jim's point, the broadcasters of both matches were very poorly prepared in reference to the Buckeyes. They kept talking about Languis finally getting a shot to wrestle varsity while Hunter is out. I'm pretty sure he wrestled nearly all of last season...and this is not his 1st dance ;-)

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Great interview with Tom Ryan. He said a number of things I found interesting not the least of which was the idea that NaTo didn't push the pace enough against VaTech. As I watched Tomasello wrestle Dance, my feeling was that he was showing him too much respect. He seemed to hold back a bit. My feeling at the time was that maybe he was concerned about rushing and ending up in a bad position. Coach Ryan, however, implied that NaTo needed to be a bit more aggressive.

Agree? Disagree?"

Hank, I would disagree with coach Ryan saying NATo needed to be a bit more agressive.However, I agree with you he might of been concerned about rushing and ending up in a bad position. Ultimately, that is what cost him the match. Nate out wrestled Dance on his feet, he just got sloppy on bottom. I think his conditioning can beat 90% of the country,but for the top tier it will come down to great positioning. I think Dance experience helped him significantly in that match. If I was a betting man I would wager on Nate the next time they wrestle.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

I'm with Hank, I'd pay to listen to Dan Gable speak about Styrofoam cups! I didn't love the fact that he had never heard of Norestrom (who was a fairly well decorated hs wrestler) but.....Dan Gable is not a professional broadcaster. He was there to simply attempt to branch out the sport...imo as a favor to Dresser and Ryan. He warrents a little slack...HES DAN FLIPPIN GABLE!

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

In regards to NaTo. I do not agree with Nate needing to push the pace more in that match. I think with a wrestler of Dance's skill set and style you push the pace, but you also make him wrestle you by using some defensive wrestling of your own. Pushing the pace too much while the other wrestler keeps solid position without exerting to much energy puts you in a situation at the end of the match where Dance has some gas left in the tank and NaTo is in Ryan's words overheated. I also believe Nate not riding aggressively at the end of the period and giving up a cheap escape cost him as much as anything else did. It reminds me of the Taylor vs Burroughs match at the US Open where Taylor could have benefited from not pushing the pace which played into Burroughs game, and actually should have pumped the brakes and made Burroughs create the offence to win. All in all Nate out wrestled Dance and I think the result will reverse next time they wrestle. I was also very impressed with Nate's poise after the match.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

I thought it interesting that the Va. kid used the same counter attack Dance used when Nate had his leg (diving back and grabbing Nate's leg) but Nate sprawled out and had the leverage to break the grip on his leg. It will be interesting to see if, under similar circumstances at Vegas, Nate can stop that move and prevent a scramble situation like the one that occurred at Virginia Tech.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Obviously, NaTo needs to tweak a couple things regarding finishes. But if he is that deep on shots, a finish is in the works if supplied with the right adjustments. As far as development goes, his scrambling will likely be his Achilles heel and the way for guys to slow him down. I see his ceiling at about a 3rd place finish at NCAA this year. That would be a huge accomplishment. I think getting by Delgado and Garret and their respective places on the development curve is almost insurmountable. At his present level of development and growth going forward, he is going to be a multiple time finalist and a Champ."

Rex (or anyone), what would NaTo (or anyone) have to do to finish on Delgado?

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Rex (or anyone), what would NaTo (or anyone) have to do to finish on Delgado?"

Rex would be able to answer this better than I would but one thing I noticed when Delgado wrestled Garrett is that Garrett dangled his legs behind him when he shot for a takedown. Nashon is fairly tall for 125 and Delgado was able to dive for his legs which were trailing behind. Nate is stocky and should be able to keep his legs underneath him when he gets in on Delgado's legs, making Tomasellos ankles harder to access.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 26, 2014

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"Rex (or anyone), what would NaTo (or anyone) have to do to finish on Delgado?"

Double with head in sternum. Any time Delgado can get overtop of you on a shot, he is almost impossible to score on. He is the best scrambler in the nation - and I don't think it's close.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 27, 2014

Nate is borrowing Johhni's hands for the Delgado match. Delgado ain't scrambling away from the gorilla grip!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 27, 2014

I'm with Brady on Delgado being the best scrambler in the nation-hands down, which is why it is such a huge accomplishment to score a td on him. Nashon Garret's double works on Delgado, but it is because he doesn't always have the reaction time to create a scramble.

Why did Spraggins from ASU score a td on Stieber? Well placed shot and no chance for immediate recovery. If Nato has that shot in his arsenal, then great. One thing that makes it more difficult with Delgado is his footwork. His feet never stop moving whereas Logan does not use as much footwork to get the job done.

Basically for Nate to score, he has to create the rapid(no reaction time),clean (no scramble)finish. It can be from his existing attack, high crotch and single leg but it has to be executed in such a way that it eliminates Delgado's reaction time. Delgado is a pro at reaction and counters. Delgado>Dance at scrambling.

Regarding commentating, I need someone that adds value to the broadcast, Gable can add value based upon who he is and the stories he has but it has to be relevant and insightful to the ongoing event. Sort of a subjective thing. To each his own. One of my favorite wrestling broadcasters is Jim Gibbons. He typically has a smart insightful approach and balances his own experience and explanation of wrestling very well.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 27, 2014

#LacesDown

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next